1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who do eBay scammers always say they're from Nigeria!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tommy B, 28 May 2006.

1. Tommy B

Sgarrista

eBay might as well block out all communication which includes the word "Nigeria" because any message sent to me regarding any matters about "Nigeria" is automatically deleted.

Why do scammers ALWAYS come from Nigeria. It's ridiculous. Why don't they be inevntive and say Iran or something :D

2. jpmonkey69

Mobster

because they want stuff sent to nigeria... ?! :confused:

/edit or is this a joke?

3. Unconditional

PermaBanned

I think the real question is, why do all eBay scammers come from Nigeria in the first place.

4. kibblerok

Soldato

because all the lottery winners/oil tycoons need something to spend their fortunes on :D

5. Rednut05

Banned

Looking for cameras of late on ebay and I ahve seen quite a few accounts that have been hacked or dodgily set up.

£1000's of pounds worth of equipment going for like £500 and then the same equipment just keeps getting sold with the same advertising page and the likes.

Even got an ebay email saying you've emailed this guy. Stop that its dodgy.

And people with like 10 feed back all with feedback from other members that have been made up like aggaga and igsduioshd andiohfiof etc... And the items sold are just ????????? so they can get feedback.

And on several auctions I have seen a ebay message saying don't buy this the account has been hacked.

Seems a dodgy place but I don't use ebay very often, never had the need.

6. Chronos-X

Banned

Its basically just a very popular thing to do in Nigeria, a country with a very large rich/poor divide, questionably morals and... the internet for all.

Also happens in various other african states and parts of asia. I think in terms of internet-based crime, Nigerian advance Fraud and things like fake paypal emails are the scummiest crimes going.

7. Arcade Fire

Banned

8. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

This is a good read from an earlier thread today about the same subject -
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/05/29/8378124/index.htm?cnn=yes

When my parents lived in Nigeria, 20% of my Dads wages were 'dash' money - in other words bribe money.
    One day we were robbed by the Boy Scouts and this particular pack had been setup for this reason.
    Every day my mother would be stopped by coppers and out would come 5 naira for her to go on her way.
    At night every bar we went to had tabs so we had no cash. On the way home we would fill up with sandwiches, pop, crisps etc because we would be stopped by soldiers and policemen.
    It has gone on for at least the 48 years I've been alive and now they have the Internet.

9. excaliborg

Wise Guy

sounds awful, what happened if you couldn't pay?

10. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Never happened.
    I've seen my mother give a copper a spare dress for his wife.

11. Tommy B

Sgarrista

My point is that they're ALWAYS from "Nigeria"

How many threads have we had here on OCUK about it.

Within a day of me listing my PDA, I've already got an email from a "Nigerian" :mad:

12. Chronos-X

Banned

Yeah the scammers target of choice seems to be laptops and related products - again in a depressed economy a small PC is probably right up their street. And you can move it around, to send more emails for example :D

13. ElRazur

Capodecina

I dont agree with scamming people but the whole issue of Nigeria being fraudulent is true too some extent - we aint the most fraudulent nation anymore, we've been knocked from the number one spot (google country transparency or something like that) yet we are still synonymous with fraud.
    The problem in my view wont go away from a long time, the idea of getting things for free without working for it seem to be a NORM amongst the younger generation! The problem is much more fundamental and it need dealing with at the grassroot level if there is gonna be any change.

14. ElRazur

Capodecina

Not necessarily, Nigeria is sometime used as a base for all the stuff to be sent to, iirc, in that part of Africa, we have the most advance telecommunication system, cheap flights and accomodation. So it can work out cheaper say for someone in Cameroon to scam you and pick up the good in Nigeria (visa is not needed for up to 90days) from his scam mate...

15. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

16. Jabb3r

Associate

Maybe it's because most scammers are from nigeria or it's the best place to run a scam from like call centers and Scotland. ;)

17. Magic_x_uk

Soldato

Gets right on my nerves i have sold the same mobile phone now 2 times to idiots on ebay that never pay, always bid at last minuts, one to USA and one to france, they never pay, and these people have 6 & 10 feedback scores.
    I dont know why they do it. I have to wait a while to file a non paying bidder report etc.

WHy do they do it i dont know.

so i haev to list this phone again and try and sell it to someone who will buy it