Who do GP's go to if they are ill?

Soldato
Biohazard said:
Do you think the little girl behind the counter at the chemist really gives a toss?

All prescriptions are checked in person by a pharmacist who's had at least 5 years at University and in training, is held responsible for all items dispensed, and most likely does "give a toss".

Having said that, as far as I'm aware there is no regulation against self-prescribing, but good ethical practice says that a GP should see another doctor. A doctor regularly receiving prescriptions for certain substances at a local chemist would certain arouse suspicion at the very least.

Man of Honour
Collegues who are friends. Nothing like your best mate being able to hit you with mophine for medical reasons :D ('tis true - dad had a very painful toe and gis buddy up the road came round to the 'rescue' :D)

But failing that, just other GPs/physios/etc as with anyone else :) (and then ignoring the advice because they disagree, which in turn is probably because it involves an injection:p)

Man of Honour
Biohazard said:
Do you think the little girl behind the counter at the chemist really gives a toss?
Oh believe me, they do. They all think they're superior to GPs :rolleyes: *

*(Although it does happen, don't have a sense of humour failure and think I really mean 'all')

Soldato
PinkPig said:
All prescriptions are checked in person by a pharmacist who's had at least 5 years at University and in training, is held responsible for all items dispensed, and most likely does "give a toss".

Having said that, as far as I'm aware there is no regulation against self-prescribing, but good ethical practice says that a GP should see another doctor. A doctor regularly receiving prescriptions for certain substances at a local chemist would certain arouse suspicion at the very least.
a degree in pharmacy is 4 years, NHS pharmacists must be registered, which requires a one year pre-registration training period then a RPS exam. Entry requirements are actually quite low for the Masters level pharmacy degrees :p

It was that or I.T when I retrained. I wish I had done pharmacy tbh.

Permabanned
PinkPig said:

come visit West Pilton in Edinburgh mate, I can ASSURE you with the amount of methadone they punt out left right and centre they are rather blasé.

Your missing my point entirely. Are five year grads also calligraphy trained? Very much doubt it to be honest :rolleyes:

We're not talking regular though are we, OP said if they are ill so its more likely to be a script for A/B's not a weekly supply of morphine.

Soldato
PinkPig said:
It goes against GMC regulations (as does treating relatives), unless in an emergency or specific other situations. Non-compliance with these guidelines would almost certainly result in losing the licence to practice medicine unless it could be justified.

It is also likely to be more strictly regulated than it is at the moment in the near future if the government gets its way and removes regulatory powers from the GMC

Caporegime
GPs have their own GPs (who have their own GPs and so on - it's a like a Mandelbrot set of doctoring)..

It depends on personal preference - Some GPs may be happy to have a colleague (i.e. from the same surgery) as their GP, or they may prefer a GP with a more distant professional relationship.

Beansprout said:
That's true actually....dad's only had ~2 days off work ill in 19 years
My dad > your dad.

1 sick day in 35+ years.

(Although it's my mother that's the GP. The old man's a surgeon. But she's never ill either. )

Back
Top Bottom