Who DOESN'T Use Facebook? (privacy concerns)

Permabanned
I use it just for jokes among classmates and watching some of the drama unfold.

But really nobody gives a **** and it is mostly just willy waving, I don't really care about keeping in contact with most of the people on there either. Might disable mine soon enough.

Soldato
I have an account, but rarely use it (less than once a month). Don't upload any photos, and have max privacy settings.

In my profile photo I am dressed smartly. I know potential employers always look up candidates on facebook. If they don't specifically search facebook, a google search will also bring up my profile.

I have no real interest in it, but it us useful to have an account because some people like to organise social functions through it.

Soldato
Can you seperate work colleagues from your real friends?

Will have to check the privacy settings out again if that's the case.

I didn't mention in my OP about third party app developers having access to your data and the groups thing someone mentioned here.

Great thread and some great responses people!;)

You can sort it out now so that you can see only those updates that you want to see, yeah. I don't think you can organise them into specific categories, though.

The groups thing is pretty annoying because you apparently don't have a choice to go into one when someone decides to create one but it's easy to leave said group.

I rarely use third party apps so I've never had an issue. Only things like connecting Wordpress so blogs auto publish to facebook and using tweetdeck etc.

Associate
Once you've deleted your account, if at any time after you log in, all your stuff is still there.

I havent been on it in quite awhile after deleting everything so I dont know if this has changed.

Permabanned
Once you've deleted your account, if at any time after you log in, all your stuff is still there.

I havent been on it in quite awhile after deleting everything so I dont know if this has changed.

There's "deactivate" and "delete". Deactivate is the default. Your account is closed, but all your posts, pictures and everything else remain so should you come back at a later date, it's all still there. To delete you have to hunt your way through help pages until you find the delete link. It closes your account and will keep it closed for 12 or 14 days, then it'll ditch and delete all your pictures, posts and everything else, provided you don't log in again during the 12/14 days whatever it is and deactivate the delete.

Associate
There's "deactivate" and "delete". Deactivate is the default. Your account is closed, but all your posts, pictures and everything else remain so should you come back at a later date, it's all still there. To delete you have to hunt your way through help pages until you find the delete link. It closes your account and will keep it closed for 12 or 14 days, then it'll ditch and delete all your pictures, posts and everything else, provided you don't log in again during the 12/14 days whatever it is and deactivate the delete.

Ah, thanks. I assumed I have deleted it then.

Soldato
Dont have an account and never will,dont want old flames catching up with me and biting me in the ass.

Do you even know how Facebook works? People can't just randomly start talking to all of your friends/family.

Facebook just needs to be used with some common sense, which obviously some people lack so it's no surprise they don't use it. (not aimed at you geeman)

Soldato
This

everyone i know seems to be obsessed with it

you dont need to update everything you do for people to see, just get on with life like normal.

Just because you have a FB account it doesn't mean you have to update it all the time anyway. You can look at it as having a way of contacting people for free! People in other countries or people you don't often speak to.

Soldato
Do you even know how Facebook works? People can't just randomly start talking to all of your friends/family.

Facebook just needs to be used with some common sense, which obviously some people lack so it's no surprise they don't use it. (not aimed at you geeman)

lol no offence taken m8 I know loads of people that use it and can see that they enjoy it.Its just not my cup of tea.

Soldato
Just because you have a FB account it doesn't mean you have to update it all the time anyway. You can look at it as having a way of contacting people for free! People in other countries or people you don't often speak to.

This. I have quite a few friends who I don't get to see very often so it's useful for keeping in touch and finding out what is going on ... but I feel no need to post status updates every 30 seconds on what I am doing ... so I don't.

Advertising .... there's advertising on Facebook? (Firefox + Adblock = I don't see any). Applications .... requests get ignored, if someone is using one and it's showing up on my news feed it gets hidden.

My settings are only set to allow Friends to see my details and it's not that I put anything on it I wouldn't mind being public anyway ... If you want something to stay completely private then don't post it at all, then you don't have to worry about your privacy settings being right.

Back
Top Bottom