Who DOESN'T Use Facebook? (privacy concerns)

Soldato
Facebook is the most cringeworthy place i have ever seen, its basically full of people that act as if they care about others they barely know. Asking questions and posting inane drivel about things that normally they wouldnt give a secons thought because they are either bored and have nothign else to do or want to 'appear popular'. The last time i looked around at what people were posting on the few times i have had the courage to logon i was left with my head in my hands at the totally bizarre fake and 'trying to please everyone' crowd.

Its baffling but popular so god knows what its doing right as i cant see it.

Soldato
Tag the photo with the names of the people in it regardless of whether they have FB accounts.

and... if that doesn't "link" to you, which it won't if you don't have an account, it could be any number of persons named the same.
No one can find out about you through it, so what difference could it make

I could tag a picture of me with your name next to it, makes no odds

Soldato
I have an account but don't use it, to be honest, the only reason I've even made an account was when I moved to Canada so I could keep in contact with my mother. I never found anything interesting about social networking websites.

Soldato
I don't understand how people can really hate FB. Surely it is exactly as you make it? So why would you be friends with people you don't like? The trick is not to just add anyone and everyone and stick to people you genuinely want to keep as part of your life.

Mine is mainly family (as I live quite a way away from them) and close friends - it's a great way to share photos and videos of each others kids growing up, successes and failures and just generally talk to people I'd never pick up a phone to, but are really nice.

PoD

PoD

Associate
The Facebook craze is over for me and I see it happening more and more for others I am aware of!
It is mostly used by girls to talk to their 'friends' or by young lads to attempt to chat up friends of friends.

The services it provides are pretty naff (bad quality picture storage). In fact the only thing it really excels at is keeping in 'contact' with people you have lost touch with. Its sort of a makes you feel like (yeah I'm in contact with these people, but in reality you haven't put any effort into doing so, your just reading each others blogs).
90% of things discussed on FB are irrelevance to everyday living. I tried only adding people who I go out with, but even that doesn't work.

I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing, but I personally think Flickr, Twitter, GTalk/MSN and Email are about a gazzilion times more powerful than anything it does.

Associate
I kept away from it for as long as I could just seemed the whole world was using it so cracked in the end. Though as others have said i've set everything to friends only, and don't discuss anything on there that I wouldn't in the street.

Man of Honour
Facebook is the most cringeworthy place i have ever seen, its basically full of people that act as if they care about others they barely know. Asking questions and posting inane drivel about things that normally they wouldnt give a secons thought because they are either bored and have nothign else to do or want to 'appear popular'.

Isn't this EXACTLY like OCUK?
I look at Facebook exactly like any other forum, people post up a topic and people reply - what is the difference?
The difference is that you actually know the people you are posting with.

Reading this thread I sometimes despair that people don't know how to use something.
I'm over half a century and even I know how to use it to my advantage.

Soldato
I feel like i'm in a tiny minority who doesn't use it on a regular basis?

I don't use it at all as I much prefer meeting my friends face to face for a pint and a chat :p Not to mention people seem to be become hooked on it and spend most of their lives checking what their friends are up to!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Can you seperate work colleagues from your real friends?

Will have to check the privacy settings out again if that's the case.

I didn't mention in my OP about third party app developers having access to your data and the groups thing someone mentioned here.

Great thread and some great responses people!;)

Yes. Make a friends list.

I have about 5 lists including one for work colleagues that want to add me, that's so locked down they can only see my name and a few other things. Certainly no pics of drunken nights out or wimmin.

Look here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/...our-facebook-privacy-settings-with-l/?m=false

Back
Top Bottom