Who here is able to grow a lucious beard?

Permabanned
Everytime I think just let the beard grow as it will off set the bald head I get so far before I get annoyed and shave it off.

It just grows into a big spikey jaggy homeless look mess if i'm honest, how do other guys do it?

Soldato
I’ve never been able to go more than 4 days without a shave, gets too annoying and itchy then I succumb and shave it all off.

Soldato
I can, if I manage to make it through the itchy stage - which is about a weeks growth for me. Think I'm going to sprout one over Winter though and see how it looks with the mohawk. More than likely will end up looking like a randomised MMORPG character, but hey ho.

Soldato
I've had a crap beard for about 7 years now, not for looks but because I absolutely detest wet/electric shaving so I use my hair clippers every few months just to "tame" the homeless man look and bring everything (hair and heard) down to a No2.

I did try a longer beard once (approx 4-5in) and, combined with it's wild untamed nature and my shaven head, made me look like a poster child for a mentally unstable deviant last seen on Crimewatch!

Capodecina
Soldato
I have quite a long beard. No idea how long but it's about 3-4 inches and a total mess at the moment. I need to get it sorted out.

The trick is to get it trimmed regularly, I would say about every 4-6 weeks, at the barber. But I am very lazy and only go to do it every few months and just trim it at home in the meantime.

The other problem is finding a barber you like, and one who will actually listen, and when you say "3-6 mm" won't take half of it off with a pair of sheers.

I’ve never been able to go more than 4 days without a shave, gets too annoying and itchy then I succumb and shave it all off.

That's why you have to invest in beard oil.

Soldato
never been able to do it and never will because i have very unever cheek coverage and that ruins the look.

i can grow a goatee or simular.

i remember in school a 16 year old kid with a perfect full beard lol

Capodecina
Soldato
never been able to do it and never will because i have very unever cheek coverage and that ruins the look.

This is just a myth for most people, "I can't grow a full beard because it's patchy". You have to grow the whole thing for about 12 weeks and then you'll see a lot of the patches disappear.

I have patches myself but you can't see them because the hair is so long it's covered them over.

Soldato
I'm still regretting not letting my beard grow stupidly long whilst I've been wfh for the past year.

I usually keep it around 1-2 inches long but I really want to get to 4-5 inches and have it properly groomed. Every time it gets to about a month of growth, it just gets too itchy and wild and I end up trimming it back.

Associate
This is just a myth for most people, "I can't grow a full beard because it's patchy". You have to grow the whole thing for about 12 weeks and then you'll see a lot of the patches disappear.

I have patches myself but you can't see them because the hair is so long it's covered them over.

Patchy beard sufferer reporting in. I guess it makes sense that at some point it gets long enough to cover the patches, but it is annoying that I can't leave it unshaven for a day or two and not look like I've got some kind of disease.

Capodecina
Soldato
Patchy beard sufferer reporting in. I guess it makes sense that at some point it gets long enough to cover the patches, but it is annoying that I can't leave it unshaven for a day or two and not look like I've got some kind of disease.

That is true. The best advice anyone ever gave me about the awkward in-between stage is to make it look intentional - i.e. keep it tidy, with sharp lines etc as much as possible, so it looks like you're meaning for it to go somewhere rather than you were just too lazy to shave.

Soldato

you could be right, i never let it grow that long to have that effect

Soldato
I've had a beard of some form for a fair few years. Like the OP it's to offset baldness, although i think even when i had hair i had some form of short beard. I don't ever recall ever experiencing an "itchy" stage. Maybe i'm lucky.

It's a funny one, i can look in the mirror and thing i can see patches of skin (mainly towards the back of the jaw area), yet whenever i catch a photo of myself i look like i have a fairly strong beard which isn't the same impression i get up close in the mirror.

Over lockdown i get it to around 4" or so, however then had a few interviews and whipped it back to it's regular 0.5"-1" length. I don't shave it often, maybe once a month so it alternates from shortish to medium.

Capodecina
Soldato
whenever i catch a photo of myself i look like i have a fairly strong beard which isn't the same impression i get up close in the mirror.

Yes, we know our faces way better than anyone else, especially up close. This doesn't just go for beards but anything. We will be able to notice things about ourselves that most people won't.

Soldato

Hummm i have tried that and it still doesnt grow evenly to cover, especially on my cheeks towards the jawline. I also have the problem that i am going grey and the hair seems to grow in weird directions making growing it out look really bad after even a month.. :(

Soldato
Hummm i have tried that and it still doesnt grow evenly to cover, especially on my cheeks towards the jawline. I also have the problem that i am going grey and the hair seems to grow in weird directions making growing it out look really bad after even a month.. :(

That sounds like exactly my problem too. I am jealous of those who can grow nice thick even beards!

Man of Honour
Everytime I think just let the beard grow as it will off set the bald head I get so far before I get annoyed and shave it off.

It just grows into a big spikey jaggy homeless look mess if i'm honest, how do other guys do it?

I grow one during December / January just for a laugh. By the end of Jan I look like a yeti. I'm (un)lucky, that my beard pretty much appears overnight and grows faster than weeds. It does keep your face warm which is nice. I'd never sport a beard in the summer though, and generally I just prefer to be stubbly rather than have a beard.

Soldato

It's like any hair, get a fine comb and some beard oil and just comb it daily. It'll stop growing in weird directions.

People seem to think growing a beard is just a case of not shaving, but if you want it to look half decent then it's worth putting some effort in especially once it starts to get a little longer as otherwise it just looks rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom