Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Associate
Thought I should post this in here...

Picked my first Renaultsport up last week, a 2006 225 Lux with Cup pack.

Completely standard with 55k and full history and I'm over the moon with it, quite an upgrade from the 2006 1.6 Megane I had before.

Excuse the rubbish phone picture, I'll take some decent ones when it's been clayed and cleaned properly.

Any one have the Cabasse Auditorium Tronic sound system in theirs? I was hoping I could fit my Pioneer headunit out of my old one strait in but found the control unit and ISO connectors are in the boot?!

Last edited:
Commissario
Tom - I think that might be underpriced.

EDIT - what are Bembo brakes?!

Double EDIT - just realised it doesn't have the Cup Pack, hmmm might put off some potential buyers.

Soldato
Tom - I think that might be underpriced.

EDIT - what are Bembo brakes?!

Double EDIT - just realised it doesn't have the Cup Pack, hmmm might put off some potential buyers.

Yeah she needs it gone really, collateral after a break up!

If it had cup pack it'd be gone by now I reckon.

Soldato
Had the Megane almost a month now, still seems a great car!

I found it a bit hard to drive fast at first, as it doesn't feel quite as connected as the MX-5 did, and found the best way to drive quickly is to have the sport throttle map, rather than the normal throttle map, as the car feels more alive. It seems as fast, if not faster than the MX5 was, it just doesn't feel it all the time. This is partly down to the fact the suspension isn't as harsh, it is stiff, but not crashy and partly as it has more sound deadening along with being higher off the ground.

The other great thing about it, is it just works as a normal car!

When I went out to look at cars, we looked at a Civic Type R too (FN2) and that just felt like it wanted you to rev the hell out of it all the time. The Megane doesn't feel like that in normal mode, it will only go quick if you mash the throttle, the rest of the time it doesn't drive much differently to the focus we had before, apart from having more power/torque of course.

So far, I seem to be averaging around 32mpg according to the onboard computer, which doesn't seem too bad and I can certainly live with that.

One thing that is surprising is the lack of torque steer. It is there from time to time, but only really shows up on rough roads that are falling apart, pot holed etc. Rest of the time the steering doesn't appear to pull to one side or the other when you boot it.

Need to try get the car on track at some point, which also means looking into track insurance for it, as I don't really want to go out without any. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the MX5 on track though.

Had a bit of a play around with the RS Monitor earlier, having a look at the different throttle maps. Sport seems to be the one to use if you want a responsive throttle pedal, without it being overly responsive, which happens when you select Extreme. The linear throttle map was interesting, and might be something that I use on track, didn't quite feel right on the road though. Lastly Snow. The snow map made the car feel dead (unsurprisingly) but I can see it being useful if the car needs to be moved in snow, as the wheels are less likely to spin up.

Oh, last bit of RS Monitor stuff, I need to work on getting less wheel spin when pulling off, just over 6 seconds :(

9743818468_9a01ae6c4d_z.jpg

Soldato
Megane mk2 dim headlights

I had a few bits to sort on a Megane, one of them being headlights so dim you could hardly tell they were on when driving the car.

Google has a lot of reported issues with lots of pie in the sky answers Google search clicky

Both bulbs were working, i tested the wiring and the bulbs were receiving 14.0v when the engine was running, so not an earth issue as most people would think.

I removed the bulb and it has an unusual holder without the usual spring loaded claw to hold it in place.

The issue was solved by removing the bulb and refitting the bulb correctly. Its not an easy job as visibility is basically zero (especially at night!)

An H7 bulb has a locating tab so can only fit one way

Copy%20of%20line.JPG

Due to the weird holder and lack of visibility it is very hard to locate the bulb properly, i had to take a photo with my phone to solve it

IMG_20130916_211504.jpg

The tab has to locate into the squared section highlighted so crudely

Once in there, the clips either side hold the bulb securely.

If you dont locate the bulb in the tab the bulb doesnt seat far enough into the headlight and goes into the reflector wonky.

With the bulb seated properly the headlights are 100% improved. Before the car was boarderline dangerous but to a car novice it wasnt such a problem.

So please point other Megane sorts with the same issue in this direction as i saw post with people coming up with all sorts of solution, even worse they were retrofitting dodgy hid kits which would only make the problem worse and immediately make them chavs

Soldato
So I've went from looking at BMW 330s to Megane sports, the 230 ideally. I very briefly sat in the back of one so don't really remember how it drove etc. What does £4-5k get or is £6-7k better for a good one?

Insurance is cheaper than my current car and the same as the 330.

Tax I don't really follow.

Tyres are the same size up front as the bmw so about £250-320 a pair for PS3 or AS2 by the looks of it. Rear on the bmw can be over £350.

What are the main problems with these cars? I read they like to eat coil packs but that's about it.

Caporegime
I've not reset my trip for a while, and over the last 100 gallons of fuel I have done an average of 39.6mpg.

Makes me think I've not been driving the car how it was designed to be driven :p

Associate
Due to the weird holder and lack of visibility it is very hard to locate the bulb properly, i had to take a photo with my phone to solve it

I think Renault admit they dropped the ball on that. The Mk3 platform (250, 265 shape etc) the headlights once free'd up will slide forward out of the bumper towards you, giving you as much space as you could need.

I was really chuffed when it came to putting silvervision indicator bulbs and discovered this :D

Soldato
Hey guys, thinking of finally shaking off the Nissan Micra that I had since I was 18 (now 23) and going for a slight upgrade - a clio 172. A budget of £1500 to £2000 should be within range for a decent example?

Got this for £1430 about a month ago...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24798511&postcount=9863

Although no one likes the alloys but i'm keeping them, this car only has to last me a year, next year I have a big budget for something really fun.

Associate
Hey guys, thinking of finally shaking off the Nissan Micra that I had since I was 18 (now 23) and going for a slight upgrade - a clio 172. A budget of £1500 to £2000 should be within range for a decent example?

That budget will get you a good example of a 172 for sure. If you are serious I would definitely recommend becoming a member of Cliosport.net.

It has saved me a huge amount of money over the last 2 years and the knowledge is second to none. You will also be able to see the "Cars for Sale" part of the forum haha!

Associate
That budget will get you a good example of a 172 for sure. If you are serious I would definitely recommend becoming a member of Cliosport.net.

It has saved me a huge amount of money over the last 2 years and the knowledge is second to none. You will also be able to see the "Cars for Sale" part of the forum haha!

Thanks, I've joined and there seems to be one on sale for around £1800 but no one seems to be responding to the ad? There's a 172 cup for sale by a mechanic in the industrial estate where my gym is. Popped in today to have a chat (car owner wasn't there, but garage owner was) and it doesn't sound great. Apparently the car was brought in by the previous owner for some serious work, couldn't afford the bills so the mechanic purchased it and "fixed it up, changed some belts and the instrument cluster that wasn't working" - the chap couldn't confirm if the current owner had done the said cam/aux belt changes etc. And they want £2.2k... Think it's best to walk away from this one. Shame as it was a local car :(

Soldato
What sounds so terrible about that car? It sounds like it's had some recent maintenance which surely puts it above average for a second hand car

Caporegime
Any ideas how much mine would be worth guys?

182, part service history (been done by the old man since it's been in my hands, trained mechanic though), dent on the bonnet, splitter is broke (though I can replace that), screen on aircon is dodgy (but works perfect). Alloys are horrible too, though have two sets originals with little tread and F1s with decent tread.

86k on the clock, no massive problems and has had the belts etc done in my hands.

About 2k? Maybe more?

Obviously I'd get the splitter and hopefully the aircon fixed.

Associate
What sounds so terrible about that car? It sounds like it's had some recent maintenance which surely puts it above average for a second hand car

Not being able to confirm the belts have done is something to be wary of. Again if the car is not immaculate in every way £2.2k is still strong money for a 172 cup IMO.

Back
Top Bottom