Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Associate
Any info/already done on rsmegane?

I've asked the same question over there last week and have had zero replies, the forum is quite dead and slow.

There's a few people on there that have fitted catch tanks inline on the oil breather to intake hose so that seems like a fairly standard path, provided you can find somewhere to mount the tank.

I've not seen anyone fit one inline on the smaller breather pipe that goes into the intake manifold. I'd imagine that there would be a benefit from having one there too to further lower the amount of oil vapour going back through the engine.

The main thing I'm unsure of is if it's OK to vent both the breather hoses to atmosphere, via catch tanks. This way no blow by gases will be going back through the engine resulting in cleaner combustion and less emissions exiting the exhaust which could be beneficial come MOT time. I'm aware that some engine are fine to vent to atmosphere, however others require a vacuum to draw the gasses out so don't want to end up causing more harm than good .

Soldato
I dont think its because the forum is a bit dead and slow, just not many people doing that sort of modification, does Jamie not run one? he does a lot of track days, if he doesn't then maybe they are not really required

Associate
Not sure if Jamie is running one or not, can't remember ever seeimg a picture of his engine bay. Matt e and Korkys R26s have them fitted on the breather to inlet pipe.

It's not so much if they are required or not, but more that they are generally beneficial. The oil vapour and contaminants coat the inside of intake pipework, intercooler, throttle body and so on and have a negative effect on the combustion process. The only benefit is the overall reduction in emissions. Fitting a catch can helps lower how much of this crap goes back through the cycle.

Soldato
@dale1uk I'm looking forward to it. The car is stock at the moment, not big on these 'stages' but I've got FMIC, BOV and Induction Kit. I haven't yet but will also be fitting 630cc injectors, Chris said not always necessary but if the cars willing it will allow to push for a little more.

Can't wait to get up there. End of April :)

Soldato
Anybody had/has any experience with the clio trophy 200/220 from MY13+? Anything to look out for?
Hi. I had one of the early 2013 cars in Liquid Yellow. Only the sport (IE. Non cup pack version). Not a bad motor, just make sure you like the EDC gearbox. It's a love it or hate it thing. I would say looking back, that it is a far better car than a lot of the reviews rated it as.

If I was looking at one now. I'd go for an RS Clio EDC with cup pack (IE. Not the Trophy version) 2016 build onwards. The later builds inherited the gearbox changes from the Trophy version. This meant normal and sport mode were as fast as the race mode in the older cars and the travel on the shift paddles was shortened by some 30% I seem to remember and race mode was twice as fast as before. The Liquid Yellow paint is also worth having if you can find one.

Personally I would not go for a Trophy version myself, as the ride quality is genuinely bone shaking, especially if it's your everyday driver. But really up to you, as I'm sure some would / will find it just fine. As usual, try both and see what you think. A friend of mine had the RS Clio EDC Trophy and I think he was glad to trade it in for one of the new RS Meganes and if you've been in one of those, the ride in that is pretty firm.

No real problems otherwise with mine. Though did loose the odd numbered gears once, switch engine on / off and it never happened again. Not aware of any major issues with the engine / gearbox. Though earlier cars will be out of warranty now. And any work on the gearbox could potentially be VERY expensive.

To put my ride quality comments in context. The two cars that followed the RS Clio were MK3.5 Focus ST's running on the optional 19in wheels and my current car is a Hyundai I30N performance version in white and the RS Clio Trophy has a way more punishing ride.

Good luck whatever you decide to get.

Soldato
Just to bring this back to life perhaps... Bought the car with an undiagnosed electrical issue as a non-runner for what I would consider the right price. Spent a number of years as an auto electrician so there is hope. Bought Renolink and have the full dealer level wiring diagrams and all the rest. Going to be investing a fair amount of time. The car is mapped to around 270bhp apparently. Fingers crossed :)

megane1
by ben mcnicholas, on Flickr

megane2

megane3

Soldato
probably find some good advice on the forums/groups since there are so many of those engines/ecus being used by enthusiasts/DIYers in meganes/clios

found plenty of very knowledgeable people when dealing with issues on my 197. just have to filter them out from the never touched a spanner kids who have bought one because 'sport'

Soldato
On my way back home from Scotland, I joined the M25 from the M11, it’s a very tight corner and sign posted 30mph.

In front was an old Audi A8 which slowed right down, as did I.

keeping an eye on this brand new RS Megane bearing down on me like I was in reverse, as the lane went into two, he naturally took the outside lane and took this tight corner at speed. I think he actually sped up, he must have been doing close to 100mph and the car went around it like a touring car! Flat, composed, effortless.

having owned several french hot hatches in my youth, I couldn’t help but catch up to him and gave him a thumbs up.

Soldato
Well, had this about a year now, so suppose I could join in...

20191014_164618.thumb.jpg.5433343e208f70f00d30b18a7c5184ca.jpg

Not to everybodys taste, but I changed the wheels. Put a set of ST wheels on my Focus, so thought I'd try it's standard 17's on the Clio. The offset works a LOT better for filling the arches, since I don't like running spacers. I don't find it too offensive...

20200521_185732.thumb.jpg.08f1a465d9c748114bbe63b099906d44.jpg

20200521_185724.thumb.jpg.eabb5508c4b182017b34392b073367f2.jpg

And just because I had them, and never managed to find a picture with them on a Clio, I tried the ST wheels too...

20200227_124827.thumb.jpg.ff4b9d10db785fec180f2dfea169a826.jpg

Caporegime
Pushing this to the top again.

I'm considering a Renaultsport RS265 Cup on a 13 plate, 40,600 miles, no RS monitor or Recaros or Leather which doesn’t bother me, has anyone had one? Would you recommend it? What sort of MPG did you get? Mine will mostly be long runs along a motorway or dual carriageway with some A road as well, very little town driving.

Back
Top Bottom