Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Soldato
Yeah definitely agree.

Tbh, prior to look at the new design RS' I never thought about the previous models (I think what put me off now is that they're only three door rather than the new remodelled 5 door)

But definitely some absolute stunning RS' about no doubt about that
Before I blind bought my TCe180 (after doing a lot of research!) I would not even give Renault the time of day :p ...after buying & owning Megane RS are the only car I would ever consider right now even if money was no object :D Driving one is such a pleasure the steering is so light & precise, the engine offers massive torque for the low weight producing some stunning driving experiences ;) for UK roads they are perfect!

PK4 gearbox in the TCe, GT, RS250-275 is capable of 400NM but without upgrading your intercooler & putting a hybrid turbo on it not sure its worth risking the reliability issues vs just buying a newer faster model ;)

I am so torn between buying brand new RS 300 (long waiting list though!), used RS280-300 with low miles (most likely option) or slightly older circa 2015-16 RS mk3 Trophy. I love my current TCe 180 (exact same RS DNA same engine as RS250-265 range just lower turbo boost pressure & compression ratio so 40BHP & 60NM down but more comfortable ride due to the RS chassis designed for comfort instead of outright performance). Renault EU later rebranded the TCe range into TCe-RS or GT220-RS in EU on the badges & cockpit but in UK they just stayed branded as TCe or GT!).

A lot of drivers (without megane experience) do not understand that RS & Megane Coupes TCe & GT are a long way away from the other Renaults brands build quality & driving experience wise as different engines, chassis & more sporty overall design ;)

Current Megane RS300 5 door range is perfect all rounder really as just enough space for the family & practical everyday driving yet sporty enough to keep the driver-owner very happy!

Associate
@kinger8938 Haven't been about on the motor subsection for a while, just catching up and wondering how you're getting on with the car (if you still own it) I'm still on the hunt for one, but as second hand market has gone wild, prices have shot up.

Found a 280 but doesn't have the cup chassis pack, (no LSD) but not sure how valuable this is in terms of drive experience if someone can chip in?

Soldato
@kinger8938 Haven't been about on the motor subsection for a while, just catching up and wondering how you're getting on with the car (if you still own it) I'm still on the hunt for one, but as second hand market has gone wild, prices have shot up.

Found a 280 but doesn't have the cup chassis pack, (no LSD) but not sure how valuable this is in terms of drive experience if someone can chip in?

Hey man so sorry I missed this until now!

Car is going great, due its first service in September. Love it as a day to day car. It's really suitable for the family too (2 kids, 1 pram etc)

I knock it in to manual less often than I thought I would. The auto box handles it all really well.

I do have the odd spirited drive in sport and manual though, such a difference in the drive modes. Super responsive.

Drinks fuel more in that mode obviously ;)

Sorry to hear it's not easy to find.

Associate
Hey man so sorry I missed this until now!

Car is going great, due its first service in September. Love it as a day to day car. It's really suitable for the family too (2 kids, 1 pram etc)

I knock it in to manual less often than I thought I would. The auto box handles it all really well.

I do have the odd spirited drive in sport and manual though, such a difference in the drive modes. Super responsive.

Drinks fuel more in that mode obviously ;)

Sorry to hear it's not easy to find.

You're all good no worries.

Glad you're enjoying it though, always good to hear, and you can never beat a good little drive ;)

Went for a test drive today in a 280 and it broke down within 2 meters of leaving the dealership :p (battery issue I think, had a couple warning lights on the dash then all of a sudden it just conked out and everything was dead) Did sound beautiful though

Soldato
You're all good no worries.

Glad you're enjoying it though, always good to hear, and you can never beat a good little drive ;)

Went for a test drive today in a 280 and it broke down within 2 meters of leaving the dealership :p (battery issue I think, had a couple warning lights on the dash then all of a sudden it just conked out and everything was dead) Did sound beautiful though

What a good representation of the car

Mine had that issue when I picked it up but after driving it, it never came back. Just as it hadn't been used for a few weeks I think

Associate
What a good representation of the car

Mine had that issue when I picked it up but after driving it, it never came back. Just as it hadn't been used for a few weeks I think

Yeah not a good first impression haha, but I imagine as its sat there most of the time and people are in and out and fiddling with the electronics the batteries die off quick,

hoping to go back for another test drive though (assuming they charge the battery prior)

Soldato
TBH I've had that quite a few times when looking at used cars. Batteries flat/dead because they aren't getting used enough.

For some reason some cars have no warning for a bad battery, they just start spawning random errors. It can take a few starts before the errors clear. The worst are when you have bulb, tyre monitoring and all that crap when they get full of gremlins.

Last edited:
Associate
TBH I've had that quite a few times when looking at used cars. Batteries flat/dead because they aren't getting used enough.

For some reason some cars have no warning for a bad battery, they just start spawning random errors. It can take a few starts before the errors clear. The worst are when you have bulb, tyre monitoring and all that crap when they get full of gremlins.

Yeah absolutely,

moments before it gave up life, the dash was like a firework display, I think every light that could be on was on and warnings as well

If I was to go ahead and purchase the car, I think I'd try and push for a new battery (just to be safe) even though the current may be okay, just for that peace of mind I guess.

Edit: I did not it said "electrical fault" or along those lines, so I'm hoping that was just in reference to the battery being kaput and nothing more sinister

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah absolutely,

moments before it gave up life, the dash was like a firework display, I think every light that could be on was on and warnings as well

If I was to go ahead and purchase the car, I think I'd try and push for a new battery (just to be safe) even though the current may be okay, just for that peace of mind I guess.

Edit: I did not it said "electrical fault" or along those lines, so I'm hoping that was just in reference to the battery being kaput and nothing more sinister
D.E.S.S battery is £600! I would go for a model (RS280) which does not use one although current F1 driver Esteban Ocon in the video I linked to above drove a RS Trophy-R around the Monaco F1 track in May & you can clearly see his car has a std 50 Amp battery so Renault are well aware of this issue (lack of use is what causes it & lazy UK dealers ignoring the prep notes to keep the battery in prime condition!!). https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34835061

With regular use it goes away but you literally need to use it every few days or keep it on a trickle charger if possible.

Associate
D.E.S.S battery is £600! I would go for a model (RS280) which does not use one although current F1 driver Esteban Ocon in the video I linked to above drove a RS Trophy-R around the Monaco F1 track in May & you can clearly see his car has a std 50 Amp battery so Renault are well aware of this issue (lack of use is what causes it & lazy UK dealers ignoring the prep notes to keep the battery in prime condition!!). https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34835061

With regular use it goes away but you literally need to use it every few days or keep it on a trickle charger if possible.

Blimey that's expensive! didn't realise it was in the region of that. Yeah this model is a 280, but I think due to it being one of those open car sales dealership places, people are in and out all the time and they have hundreds of vehicles so I assume its just down to heavy foot traffic and lack of proper care but could be wrong.

but don't think I'm going to go through with the sale anyway, second hand market has gone crazy and didn't get the best p/x valuation for my car. (although understand that my car will also lose value again)

so will probably try and hold out and see what comes out, definitely want a manual though I think (the 300 trophies are like gold dust for manual)

Soldato
Don't quote me on this but fairly certain the DESS is covered under the Renault 5 year warranty. I asked when I thought it may have had an issue when I picked mine up.

That said worth keeping an eye on regardless especially to consider if it's a few years used.

Soldato
Blimey that's expensive! didn't realise it was in the region of that. Yeah this model is a 280, but I think due to it being one of those open car sales dealership places, people are in and out all the time and they have hundreds of vehicles so I assume its just down to heavy foot traffic and lack of proper care but could be wrong.

but don't think I'm going to go through with the sale anyway, second hand market has gone crazy and didn't get the best p/x valuation for my car. (although understand that my car will also lose value again)

so will probably try and hold out and see what comes out, definitely want a manual though I think (the 300 trophies are like gold dust for manual)
Do not think D.E.S.S is in the std RS280 so most likely just a flat battery! Nothing to worry about all Renaults give severe errors when the battery is low !!! Std battery is in the region of £130-150 for a really decent Platinum model. Even the latest 2021 models are having issues still as the car is not going to last beyond 2022-23 is the confirmed production run dates where the factories are still making them & Renault have already booked the assembly lines until then so looking like it ends 2023 and they go for all electric for 2024 onwards!
Here is a pic someone took of theirs its a special battery which is why its so expensive but as it only saves 8KG I would rather have the option to have a std battery but Renault made one of their many stubborn R&D errors :rolleyes: so its not possible as the charging circuit is built around this D.E.S.S item no way to change it (unless your Ocon the F1 driver in the video I linked to that is!!).

https://www.renaultsportclub.co.uk/...ntermittent-battery-issue?p=128219#post128219

I am happy to wait a few more months loads of decent RS280-300 on sale right now after summer ends loads more will appear as so many UK drivers do not appreciate them :rolleyes: & the D.E.S.S issue is putting people off hence cars come back to the dealer within a month or so!

Associate
Do not think D.E.S.S is in the std RS280 so most likely just a flat battery! Nothing to worry about all Renaults give severe errors when the battery is low !!! Std battery is in the region of £130-150 for a really decent Platinum model. Even the latest 2021 models are having issues still as the car is not going to last beyond 2022-23 is the confirmed production run dates where the factories are still making them & Renault have already booked the assembly lines until then so looking like it ends 2023 and they go for all electric for 2024 onwards!
Here is a pic someone took of theirs its a special battery which is why its so expensive but as it only saves 8KG I would rather have the option to have a std battery but Renault made one of their many stubborn R&D errors :rolleyes: so its not possible as the charging circuit is built around this D.E.S.S item no way to change it (unless your Ocon the F1 driver in the video I linked to that is!!).

https://www.renaultsportclub.co.uk/...ntermittent-battery-issue?p=128219#post128219

I am happy to wait a few more months loads of decent RS280-300 on sale right now after summer ends loads more will appear as so many UK drivers do not appreciate them :rolleyes: & the D.E.S.S issue is putting people off hence cars come back to the dealer within a month or so!

I thought the battery was the same across the RS range but I am mistaken, good to know this info though.

But kinda disappointing that even after all the previous issues, they've still not changed anything and current production/just built cars are still suffering with the issues.

Yeah, sad that you can't just chuck a standard battery in and call it a day kind of thing.

but I'll keep my eyes open, was hoping to do a little bit of haggling with the garage on the 280 but don't think they'll budge as second hand car market is so in-demand.

Don't quote me on this but fairly certain the DESS is covered under the Renault 5 year warranty. I asked when I thought it may have had an issue when I picked mine up.

That said worth keeping an eye on regardless especially to consider if it's a few years used.

Ooeh, that's good to know, always handy if ever there was a fault.

Soldato
@Xein Renault DID change the software for the battery management & did update cars that were sent back under warranty & or otherwise!! Yet still 2021 brand new RS are having the issue to a lesser extent than before but its still present :eek: The frustrating thing with Renault they refuse to admit its a car design problem they say its driver error & dealer error for not maintaining the battery properly :( no chance they fix it either as RS300 & RS300 Trophy-R are end of the line now (although another 2 years of factory assembly lines are already booked). The battery management is tied to the braking energy recovery system afaik! Changing would mean going through EU vehicle type approval all over again! France, Germany, UK are the biggest markets outside of those RS sell in very limited qualities so no way they go through the cost to change it now its close to end of life.

My understanding is that D.E.S.S battery is std on all RS300 Trophy-R & RS 300 Trophy.

RS280 Sport uses a conventional 50a battery so they are fine.
RS280 Cup not sure about that one!

A lot of the used RS280-300 right now are from when Renault made a mistake 2-3 years ago & had a load of unsold RS stock to offload in the UK as they were not selling so they did a crazy finance deal which was about £250 a month plus another £9 a month for 3 years all main dealer services & service parts! Quite literally gave them away at cost but the cars could not be owned lease only deal why so many are ending up back in the dealer network right now ;)

Associate
Ah I see, I guess at least they've made some changes/updates, albeit still not the correct fixes or at least those that are not sufficient enough to eliminate the issues. shame that they're trying to push the blame onto the consumer/dealer (although I guess dealerships should take better care of their stock).

I wonder what they'll do on a the new/redesign (if they're planning that after this production run has finished?)

Oof, that's a bit of a ball buster then, no wonder they're not eager to change it haha, just a shame for the end consumer but I guess if you're covered for x years for a replacement or whatnot then its somewhat of a safety net.

I'm definitely keeping my eye out for one, seems like they pop up in bunches and then get bought off quickly so its always good to act fast but I always feel pressured when you need to make that snap decision :p

Would love to buy direct from Renault i think for the extra 'benefits' they offer but we'll see what pops up.

@AWPC

Soldato
Ah I see, I guess at least they've made some changes/updates, albeit still not the correct fixes or at least those that are not sufficient enough to eliminate the issues. shame that they're trying to push the blame onto the consumer/dealer (although I guess dealerships should take better care of their stock).

I wonder what they'll do on a the new/redesign (if they're planning that after this production run has finished?)

Oof, that's a bit of a ball buster then, no wonder they're not eager to change it haha, just a shame for the end consumer but I guess if you're covered for x years for a replacement or whatnot then its somewhat of a safety net.

I'm definitely keeping my eye out for one, seems like they pop up in bunches and then get bought off quickly so its always good to act fast but I always feel pressured when you need to make that snap decision :p

Would love to buy direct from Renault i think for the extra 'benefits' they offer but we'll see what pops up.

@AWPC
These are the last conventional I.C.E RS the big rumour is the entire RS R&D team are working on an all electric car for 2023-24. £72K Trophy-R is clearly going to be going soon so many are unsold its not really a practical enough road car with only 2 seats & a roll cage LOL! No-one is working on the existing model issues anymore!! RS outside of France just do not sell in any great volume since the RS250-265 days sadly :eek: I live in West London near the main dealer I have seen perhaps 4-5 RS 300 (2 of those on the forecourt 1 in the servicing bays!) 2 on the actual roads. Seen quite a few RS250-265 though perhaps as many as 1-2 per week in the summer! 1 cheekily blasted by me the other week with a very nice sounding £2.5K Titanium Akrapovic exhaust system (over £3k on RS 280 MK4!!!).

Do not think you get any extra benefits from Renault apart from a 6-8 month minimum waiting time for new right now (unless they have the stock). Renault main dealers offer a £2.5K deposit contribution on brand new from them but its a pretty std deal with high interest rates! You can get way lower interest rates from your own bank. Trophy-R buyers recently got a nice £500 welcome pack of goodies but for £72K you would expect that & a bit more ;)

Few weeks ago saw a beautiful Flame Red RS280 with only 21 miles on it ex main dealer demo which even though 2 years old looked immaculate...that lasted all of a few hours before someone bought it though for £26K!

With the way current depreciation trends are within 2 years RS280 will be £15-17K & going to be an absolute bargain if you can grab a low mileage example you want to own & look after for 3-5 years or longer.

Associate
Oh damn, I bet that'll be a beast of a car then, if they can crank out 300BHP from a 1.8 petrol, I wonder what they can do with an all electric motor.

Oof the trophy-Rs are crazy expensive, especially for what they are (or at least I think so) but if that's your taste then fair enough, but I think for that money you could get a decent car elsewhere haha. its mad how 'rare' they are 280-300/trophy, haven't seen one out on the roads yet, but I guess that makes it more of a niche car and people look (which gives you that ego boost :p )

The stock exhaust sounds beautiful, but some of the aftermarket ones are incredible, but 2.5-3k for an exhaust kit is damn expensive

Oh really? I was just basing it off of what they 'offered' on their website but didn't really look into it, I guess all dealers are relatively the same in the regard then?

hot damn, that's a cracking deal, no wonder it shot out the dealership, yeah I'd love to wait another year or 2, but I'm a sucker for the FOMO and it sucks me in :p

Had the dealership ring me earlier (couldn't answer due to being on a work call) but no message left, wonder if they'll call back again, must be keen to sell the car.

@AWPC

Soldato
Trophy-R are so expensive because of all the weight saving exotic materials & titanium used! Think its about 130KG lighter than a RS300. It holds the current FWD production car records for Nurburgring & Suzuka lap times its an absolute monster on road or track hence the £72K price tag! Doubt you will find many cars able to beat it on any UK road a-b the Trophy-R is going to be tough to beat anywhere regardless of power output ;)

Never take the dealer finance deal its usually between 9-12% which is massive over the lifetime of the contract :eek: this is why they are so keen to throw one at you for zero deposit (Renault pay £2.5K deposit for you!). If you have a decent credit rating your bank will offer around 4% which is way better saves you £10k alone over 4 years!

For example a brand new RS300 on a zero deposit dealer finance agreement means for only £500-550 a month you get to drive a brand new (or nearly new) one within a few days :p but check the small print your paying back £45K ish :eek: over 4 years & you still need to find another £10K to actually own it then as well :eek: vs your bank loaning you £20K @ 4% with a £2.5K Renault deposit + your expected to put down the same again gets you £450 a month for 4 years & only £30K credit to service! £15K less finance is a massive difference!!

Dealers make massive kickbacks on these new zero deposit finance deals its why they are so pushy. The finance company will quite literally give it to anyone with decent credit. So tempting I know I find it hard to resist knowing for £500 I can be driving one in a few days :p but when I looked more closely at it think I will just wait a bit longer be happy with what I currently have ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom