Who leaves their PC on all the time?

Permabanned
I leave all 9 of my PC's on 24/7. Reason for this being that they run the Seti@Home project and can do much more work this way. The other reason is that I seem to get no problems with any PC's...before when I ran PC's when I needed use from them I got power supplies that broke more regualy and many more Windows problems. 3 in my room and the rest downstairs. I turn the monitors off when they're not in use though as they use a lot more power I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
If your not using an crunching software *or* using your PC as a PVR then you can get the PC to switch into powersaving mode (S3) seems to be the way forward!

Make sure that your old fashioned CRTs are set to switch off because they use a lot more juice than the newer LCDs. . .

With a little effort its quite possible to make your PC quiet, I can understand people switching them off because of the noise, but once you silence them there is no need (except maybe when u go on holiday, however last time I went away for two weeks I left 3 PC's folding!)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Big.Wayne said:
................. last time I went away for two weeks I left 3 PC's folding!

I work offshore and I leave mine on whilst I'm away (2-3 weeks at a time usually - I'm in Egypt just now and will be away for at least a month and all my rigs are folding away back home :D ).

Stan :)

Soldato
I eave my PC on 24/7 for 1 main reaon.

Im always poping in and out and to lazy to wait for the machine to boot every time.

At night is when all the downloading(so i dont clod the connection for the other users) and maintance (defrag, virus etc) gets done while i sleep.

EDIT:

PC is in always on mode with monitor and speakers off when not in use.

Soldato
b0rn2sk8 said:
I eave my PC on 24/7 for 1 main reaon.

Im always poping in and out and to lazy to wait for the machine to boot every time.

At night is when all the downloading(so i dont clod the connection for the other users) and maintance (defrag, virus etc) gets done while i sleep.

PC is in always on mode with monitor and speakers off when not in use.

Same here, although the internet is all mine :)

Soldato
I turn off at night, then when I get up I switch on my PC, whatever i'm doing. It then stays on all day, sometimes with the monitor powered down, until I go to bed, when I turn it off.

Too worried about fire risks to leave it on 24/7, but I hate having to wait for it to boot. So I let it boot while I get dressed, then use it during the day as necessary.

Much easier. The only time i've had a PSU go pop on me, it was from a rig that stayed on 24/7 anyway (my dad's).

Soldato
CurlyWhirly said:
That's one of the reasons why I don't leave my PC on 24/7 :rolleyes:

As it would be unmonitored while your asleep, it could burn the house down!
and you could be knocked down by a bus or struck by lightening or run down by an escaped elephant :D
best to stay in a cave all alone,reduce the risks that way too :)
(j/k)

Associate
ANDARIAL said:
and you could be knocked down by a bus or struck by lightening or run down by an escaped elephant :D
best to stay in a cave all alone,reduce the risks that way too :)
Well if you had my motherboard you would probably think differently as for some stupid reason the CPU shutdown temperature will only 'kick in' when it reaches 110C which is way too high and there is no way to alter it to a lower setting only enable or disable it :(

In any case I save on 'wear and tear' and electricity :rolleyes:

Associate
Monstermunch said:
But not for the local powergrid, especially if you're running a 600w+ PSU.

I tend to leave mine on for days on end downloading stuff but I must admit that the leccy bill changes somewhat :(

The rating of the PSU doesn't equal the draw of the PSU. Someone with a 430W PSU who has a heavier system can easilly draw more power than a 600W PSU in a system with a lighter spec. The rating is the maximum it can supply, not the normal it draws.

Associate
My Pc was on 24/7 for about 3 weeks with no problems whatso ever. I switched it off for the first time a couple of days ago and now whenever I try to boot it resets when it gets to the windows boot screen.

Associate
Only time my pc's are off, is when I am fixing stuff that aint broke, saying that, my fiddling about has dropped dramatically since I started to fold on my main rig, but yes 2x 24/7 rigs - main rig(now folding also) and 1 folder, used to run 4 pcs, down to 2 at the moment. The constant whirr of the fans is so soothing....lol

Soldato
if your rents are nagging at you for leaving it on 24/7 i read somewhere that it costs something like 3p per day to leave it running 24/7 at 100% load

somewhere along those lines, so just give them 5p per day and say "keep the change you filthy animal"

Associate
edger said:
I turn my pc off in the summer, it makes the room FAR too hot.
But the rest of the year I leave it on 24/7.

yeh i turn my PC off more in the summer,

i'm not usually at my computer in the summer tho, usually out in the sun having fun lol

but if i am at my PC playing CS:S or wotever i have a fan in my face

Soldato
mark1 said:
I would leave it on but my parents won't let me :D

Same here mate.

There was a time I left my PC on all the time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Then the leeccy bill came through, it was huge, so I turned it off over night, which is a real pain because if Iw ant to download a big file thats the best time to do it.

I turn my PC on first thing in the morning, and it doesn't get turned off till I goto bed, could be 12am, maybe 1am in the morning. It's on when I'm at work, usually running boinc or downloading something.

Back
Top Bottom