Who leaves their PC on all the time?

ryu

ryu

Associate
ive pretty much had mine on for like 5 years 247 now.. im kinda accustomed to the noise whilst sleeping, funnily enough, i find it more difficult to get to sleep in pure silence. i remember sleeping in the same room as my old computer which was equiped with a delta fan heh that sounded like it was hoovering my room at the same time as cooling the cpu, i guess you could say nothing phases me anymore.

Associate
the effects of global warming mean we'll soon be crotch deep in melted ice caps unless we reduce carbon dioxide the latest thinking seems to favour more nuclear power stations so more chance of radiation instead.

for a better safer method of saving the world while also saving money turn off your flaming pcs when your not useing them. home pc users in this country alone created an extra 220,000 tons of carbon dioxide last year because THEY COULDNT BE BOTHERD TO SWITCH THERE PC OFF and our laziness wasted £41million in extra electricy bills office workers being the worst pumping out 645,000 tons of the stuff.

its is a fallacy that leaving a pc on standby mode is better and saves more energy it doesnt it still requiers up to 90 per cent of normal power consumption

so have a thought for the world we leave in try to turn your pcs of just once in a while

there you go i read that in a mag not long ago made me think hope it will you

Soldato
ToLearn said:
the effects of global warming mean we'll soon be crotch deep in melted ice caps unless we reduce carbon dioxide the latest thinking seems to favour more nuclear power stations so more chance of radiation instead.

for a better safer method of saving the world while also saving money turn off your flaming pcs when your not useing them. home pc users in this country alone created an extra 220,000 tons of carbon dioxide last year because THEY COULDNT BE BOTHERD TO SWITCH THERE PC OFF and our laziness wasted £41million in extra electricy bills office workers being the worst pumping out 645,000 tons of the stuff.

its is a fallacy that leaving a pc on standby mode is better and saves more energy it doesnt it still requiers up to 90 per cent of normal power consumption

so have a thought for the world we leave in try to turn your pcs of just once in a while

there you go i read that in a mag not long ago made me think hope it will you

Go hug a tree :D

220,000 extra clearly isnt that much especially when a lot are left running things like folding at home carrying out research that could save millions of lives ;)

The diference it makes overall is maybe 0.01% of what is contributed. Not to mention componants tend to last longer when they arent being switched on/off all the time meaning less waste.

Soldato
Any modern pc wont be using 90% of its maximum power while idling with the screen off, that'd be really crap. Turn your monitor off and have the hard drives power down after 30 mins non use and all thats left is the 12volt and 5volt circuits and nothing much (physically) using them.

If the pc was doing nothing, I'd turn it off but mine are always downloading and defragging. I dont see a sealed metal box as being a fire risk but I dont generally leave my pc at 100% load either

Associate
I leave mine on for the simple reason that it helps me sleep. I have various background noises and only the fan inside my computer drowns them all out. I also used to have my own gaming clan and needed to keep my msn/irc open so people could leave me messages.

Soldato
900I said:
All these 24/7 downloading rigs could be doing something useful with their electricity like Folding@Home and not clogging up the net for everyone else.

Or get a 10mb connection .. I can download 5gig in just over a hour so no need to keep it on 24/7 for downloading :) more time for seti

Associate
im at work right now, but my PC is on at the moment, downloading stuff like usual... usually i leave it on for a maximum of a few days and then turn it off one night when i sleep and then its back on again :p but my room is usually quite warm so thats why i don't leave it on over so many nights...

Soldato
Ive got a normal size room and I had 2 rigs on 24/7 without fail. They were folding. Both were setup on my desk without cases too. Dual 1.6LV Xeons @ 3.2GHz (stock HSF) and A64 3800+ Venice @ 2800MHz with a 92mm tornado strapped on but at 5v.

When ever I turned them off my room at night was too quiet lol. Felt wierd. I was so use to sleeping with the rigs on.

Oh they were the days...

Associate
i would leave to machines on, my main rig and my second machine would be a microsoft exchange server. however, they are both pretty noisy and as i live with the gf in a SMALL studio flat thing, i'm not allowed to keep them on. i'm currently looking for an old 1ghz laptop to hide away to run as the exchange server as that would be nice and quiet. if i need to download overnight, i just leave my laptop on as it's so damn quiet.

Back
Top Bottom