Who makes the best Baked Beans :)

Soldato
Makes a massive difference in a pan, for added flavour sauté some onions, add a little paprika, black pepper and a dash or worcestershire sauce.
Or more simply a splash of Encona pepper sauce to taste. I have become used to Morrisons beans now after being raised on Heinz. Heinz still make the definitive ketchup though.

Soldato
sainburys used to make the best cheap ones

heinz have watered down their formula i think

i now use branston mostly £2 for 4 pack i think

Associate
I did try Branston based on this thread, and I think you guys might be on to something. They seem a bit richer than present day Heinz. Needed a twist or two of salt (same as Heinz for me) but all good apart from that.

I might pick up some Sainsbury's ones next time I go there (which isn't that often).

Permabanned
Heinz purist here I'm afraid. Branston have a slightly sicky taste to them and a lot of the own brand ones just aren't balanced enough. Heinz just eat better then any other brand as well imo. Even if you overcook them the consistency is good enough whereas Branstons just go to skin pellets of mush.

Soldato
We tested this at the restaurant. Heinz are very watery. Branston cam out on top so thats the brand we stuck with.

I've always been a Heinz fan up until that point.. But blind testing Branstons one hands down

Associate
Only in the Uk could we have an in depth discussion about baked beans!

I remember one holiday when an American lady mentioned how she couldn't believe that beans were served at breakfast She sounded absolutely disgusted by the thought.

Associate
Bit of a thread bumpage...

Has anyone noticed a reduction in the quality of Branston just recently? I've used them for years but a few weeks ago had some and there was loads more sauce than I was used to (more like what Heinz are like!) and the beans had a harder texture. Wondering if it was a one-off 'weird can' I had another yesterday and just the same.
I wonder if they've gone and ruined them :(

Back
Top Bottom