Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
So, considering getting one of these (ST220). Will likely be bottom of the market though as it's just to ditch at airports / pubs. So doesn't matter if its high(-ish) miles (don't mind up to around 140-150k), or cosmetically not so great. But mechanically, what should I be looking for when looking at these?

I'm kind of between one of these and a Focus ST170. They both (just about) can come in on budget. I have a feeling the Focus might be a bot more "fun" on the back roads, and if I ever wanted to take a car on track (I might), and a bit cheaper, but the Mondeo would obviously be the better cruiser, which is likely the main use for the car anyway.

Fuel economy doesn't bother me too much, as most of the miles done in this motor will be on expenses anyway. But having never looked at them before, and there being 36 man-size pages in this thread, I thought I'd ask here.

Heading all the way down to Bristol tomorrow for a few days, so if I can see something there, or on the way back (all the way to NE Scotland), then it would be nice to have an idea of what to look for with these specifically.

Soldato
The Mondeo is far better than the Focus 170 of the same era in every way. It's even faster despite being bigger. They are very reliable as long as they have regular oil changes. Just check for erattic idling could be a split hose other than that just the general rust etc.
What's your budget though? As I picked a excellent condition 53 plate up with 72k on for 2.7k and there is a few for sale at around 2.5k on AT. You need at least 2k otherwise I wouldn't bother as anything under is going to be a nail.

Soldato
OP
So, considering getting one of these (ST220). Will likely be bottom of the market though as it's just to ditch at airports / pubs. So doesn't matter if its high(-ish) miles (don't mind up to around 140-150k), or cosmetically not so great. But mechanically, what should I be looking for when looking at these?

I'm kind of between one of these and a Focus ST170. They both (just about) can come in on budget. I have a feeling the Focus might be a bot more "fun" on the back roads, and if I ever wanted to take a car on track (I might), and a bit cheaper, but the Mondeo would obviously be the better cruiser, which is likely the main use for the car anyway.

Fuel economy doesn't bother me too much, as most of the miles done in this motor will be on expenses anyway. But having never looked at them before, and there being 36 man-size pages in this thread, I thought I'd ask here.

Heading all the way down to Bristol tomorrow for a few days, so if I can see something there, or on the way back (all the way to NE Scotland), then it would be nice to have an idea of what to look for with these specifically.

The Focus ST170 is massively underrated IMHO. A lot of people hate them but I think they're brilliant. I've driven one quite a bit and the chassis is just sublime. It can be hustled along the back roads beautifully. It's so impeccably well-balanced. It's much sharper than the ST220, but then that's not to discredit the Mondeo's handling abilities which really do belie its size and weight.

They're both wonderful cars to drive. Ford got them so right. The Focus is the better choice if you want to prioritise B-road blasting and track use, the Mondeo better for cruising and having more outright power.

In terms of what to look for, it'd be good to check that the Mondeo has been serviced regularly, since the engines do like fresh oil and they can use a bit as they get older. Worn rear subframe bushes are common. They rust a bit, particularly the prefacelifts (up to 53-plate). The brakes will feel crap at first but it will stop if you use them properly. They're just not horribly over-assisted like the average modern car.

The ST170 has variable inlet manifold runners which is a common fault point.

Soldato
Cheers guys.

Budget is around the grand mark, so REALLY looking at the bottom end. But lime I said, cosmetic condition and mileage aren't worries as I do plan to run whatever until it's death.

Whilst the Mondeo would be the the better choice for the main use of the car, the thought that the Focus would probably be better on track did occur to me. And I was recently thinking of a track car, so that route would probably be the better way to go.

Soldato
OP
You won't get an ST220 for £1k, even the ropiest of high-milers start at about £1500-1800. The Focus is more unloved, so you'll probably pick one up in your budget. How much of a total shed it will be shall remain to be seen, however.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704074165052 this one looks okay from the outset, although the MOT history makes for grim reading.

Spend a few more quid and you can get a tidier one with xenons and climate control - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703303874360

Soldato
There is one ST220 near me for 1200, and another one I missed on eBay that sold for 925, there was another one recently i saw at around 1200 too, so there are ones at that price.

I do like the idea of an ST Focus more and more now though. Mich prefer the look of that grey one, and doesn't have that dent in rear quarter. But xenons would be ace.

Soldato
OP
There is one ST220 near me for 1200, and another one I missed on eBay that sold for 925, there was another one recently i saw at around 1200 too, so there are ones at that price.

They will be absolute sheds though. I just think that if you're gonna spend as little as possible you might as well just buy a regular Mondeo - it's likely to be less of a ballache.

Soldato
Fair enough. Was just looking at lowly petrol Mondeos and saw a couple of ST's come up, so thought why not? Like I said, so long as it's mechanically fine, cosmetic or mileage didn't bother me.

Soldato
Fair enough. Was just looking at lowly petrol Mondeos and saw a couple of ST's come up, so thought why not? Like I said, so long as it's mechanically fine, cosmetic or mileage didn't bother me.
Look around on AT and eBay as the 3.0 V6 is also available in Titanium X and Ghia X form for far less than the ST. I seen a 2005 3.0 Ghia X with about 60k on for 1.6k on AT a few weeks ago which is half the price of the ST with that mileage.
There is also a rare 2.5 V6 Zetec S that has the ST bodykit on they can be had for 1k

Soldato
damn that is impressive. sure it looks ropey as hell but I bet its a hoot to drive
I know I did not think it was possible. I've heard of the supercharger kits from America that take it to near 300 but 400 with AWD is crazy. Would love to try it.
Not surprised to see it's still for sale at 6k lol. He will be lucky to get 3k for it.

Soldato
I want a montang, it's a mondeo that's RWD with a v8 from a mustang. Would be a great sleeper :D. Also a newer one with a modern gt 350 engine would be insane. 500hp+ 8000rpm v8 mondeo st220.

Soldato
Well, having owned mine for a few months after owning a TDCi 115 for many years which had all the bells and whistles I am finding I hate it when i'm not driving it due to the fuel consumption but love it when i'm driving it due to the noise, thankfully I now do so few miles that I can scrape by on a single tank of fuel a month so am loving it overall.

I think the only options I am missing is the rear entertainment system & heated rear seats so that is a project I need to start looking at for the summer!

What is a decent tyre for these that create low road noise but don't have squishy sidewalls, my old Mondeo had Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres but I hated the squishiness, are the Goodyear Asymmetric's a decent tyre? The Noise rating seems decent?

Soldato
Well, having owned mine for a few months after owning a TDCi 115 for many years which had all the bells and whistles I am finding I hate it when i'm not driving it due to the fuel consumption but love it when i'm driving it due to the noise, thankfully I now do so few miles that I can scrape by on a single tank of fuel a month so am loving it overall.

I think the only options I am missing is the rear entertainment system & heated rear seats so that is a project I need to start looking at for the summer!

What is a decent tyre for these that create low road noise but don't have squishy sidewalls, my old Mondeo had Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres but I hated the squishiness, are the Goodyear Asymmetric's a decent tyre? The Noise rating seems decent?
Did you find out what was causing all the steam out of your exhausts? That didn't look right to me.
I always found Pirelli p zero's, Hankooks or Avon zv5's more than good enough the ST220

Soldato
Did you find out what was causing all the steam out of your exhausts? That didn't look right to me.
I always found Pirelli p zero's, Hankooks or Avon zv5's more than good enough the ST220

Not sure about the steam, I think it was a combination of the weather at the time and the fact it was stood for so long.

It's certainly running well now, love driving it :)

Soldato

do you sit in the back of your own car a lot then? :p

Back
Top Bottom