Poll: Who will you be voting for on May 5th?

Which political party will you vote for?

• Liberal Democrats

Votes: 187 20.5%
  • Conservative

Votes: 311 34.1%
  • Labour

Votes: 161 17.6%
  • Regional Party (Plaid Cymru, SNP, etc.)

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • Issues Party (BNP, Greens, UKIP)

Votes: 45 4.9%
  • Independent candidate

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • Abstaining from voting

Votes: 107 11.7%
  • Not eligible for voting

Votes: 74 8.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
nero120 said:
If you contribute nothing to the country, why should you get a say on how it's run?

I can think of one good reason. For a start, everyone who is going to be 18 before the next election should be allowed to vote, otherwise they are missing out for around 3 years at max. Secondly, whoever is in charge now will influence things for the future. As children are the future, I think they should lower it to 16, which is the age of work and the end of schooling for many. Whereas it may be that people at the top end of the country should be denied the vote, ie the very elderly, as the policies put in place will not affect them in the future.

Well its a theory anyway...

Soldato
Feek said:
I wonder how many people who have said they'll vote Conservative actually remember how things were under the Tories last time. Not many, I'll bet.

K.

I've only heard stories, but wasn't Howard a key member of said party during this time?

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Phil99 said:
I've only heard stories, but wasn't Howard a key member of said party during this time?

Home Secretary during the mid 90s just before Labour came in iirc.

Soldato
Not following politics dreadfully closely, and only being 17, anyone care to refresh my memory of what the conservatives did during their time in power (briefly), be it good or bad?

K-2

K-2

Associate
Pinhead said:
although i am eligible, i will not be voting.
I dont think any of the parties really deserve to win, and that in any case we are just voting for the best of a bad bunch - not the way it should be.

I tend to agree with you but still, bearing in mind the whole notion of the lesser of two evils, there must be a slightly better option for people to opt for. For me personally, i've already identified it and will be giving them my vote. They're far from perfect but certainly better than most.

Soldato
Feek said:
I wonder how many people who have said they'll vote Conservative actually remember how things were under the Tories last time. Not many, I'll bet.

K.

My thoughts exactly. And if this is the case, surely they wouldn't know what they'd be letting themselves in for.

Labour for me. Or maybe LCA as a protest vote.

Soldato
OP
Che said:
It's nothing to do with if he "contributes". It's if he is under eighteen, in jail or is the Queen :p

mleh said:

mleh said:
Why shouldn't I be elligble to vote in the election though? I still have an opinion, and promises in parties manifestos will still affect me.

which sounded to me more of a question of the philosophy of voting, rather than the practicality of being of voting age, not a criminal nor a queen. His question also seemed to suggest that he believed he should be able to vote because:

a.) he has an opinion
and b.) promises in parties manifestos will still affect him

which I do not think is a very wise system on deciding who votes, so I offered a question in return as an answer.

mleh said:
How can you make sweeping generalisations like that?

How do you know I don't contribute anythign to the country? besides, for 4 years of my life i'll be paying taxes without a say in how they're spent.

What are you talking about, I made no generalisation - I simply answered the question you asked. If you were lacking in offering more information on your circumstances how was I to know? Your post suggested you should be able to vote because you have an opinion and decisions affect you, so I answered simply what you offered.

And besides, during every 4 years EVERYONE pays taxes without a say in how their spent. The only say they get is ONCE at the end of every 4 years, not continuously during the 4 years. Therefore it is a non argument - you have lost nothing.

Soldato
My local Parlamentary Tory MP is Anne Widdecombe (shudders) there isn't a hope in hells chance of removing her with a tactical vote so I be voting with my actual researched polictical beliefs

Ann Widdecombe, Conservative 22,621 49.6%
Mark Davis, Labour 12,303 27.0%
Allison Wainman, Liberal Democrat 9,064 19.9%
John Botting, UK Independence Party 978%
Neil Hunt, Independent 611 1.3%

Conservative majority: 10,318
Time of declaration: June 8 2001
Turnout: 61.6 %

LD+1

MB

Last edited:
Soldato
Dark Poet said:
Why is that then? You must have good reasons to vote for whoever it is you're voting for, in what way would it damage you to reveal that choice?

I voted (and will vote) Lib Dem. :)

I do have good reason, but at the end of the day, its an anonymous vote, and I do not wish to share how I vote with anyone else. I've been bought up and been told its rude to ask for who you vote for.

Soldato
OP
Tweek_1984 said:
My thoughts exactly. And if this is the case, surely they wouldn't know what they'd be letting themselves in for.

Labour for me. Or maybe LCA as a protest vote.

Well considering we've just experienced 8 years of labour hell, I don't think you can blame people if they want a change without having to listen to people harkening back 8-18 years ago. Besides, labour did far more damage than the tories during their 74-79 stint, are you seriously suggesting that people look to past performance as a judge on who to vote for?

Soldato
OP
Greg said:
I do have good reason, but at the end of the day, its an anonymous vote, and I do not wish to share how I vote with anyone else. I've been bought up and been told its rude to ask for who you vote for.

Then leave this thread.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Matblack said:
My local Parlamentary Tory MP is Anne Widdecombe (shudders) there isn't a hope in hells chance of removing her with a tactical vote so I be voting with my actual researched polictical beliefs

Ann Widdecombe, Conservative 22,621 49.6%
Mark Davis, Labour 12,303 27.0%
Allison Wainman, Liberal Democrat 9,064 19.9%
John Botting, UK Independence Party 978%
Neil Hunt, Independent 611 1.3%

Conservative majority: 10,318
Time of declaration: June 8 2001
Turnout: 61.6 %

LD+1

MB

It's a bit like that round here but in favour of Labour :(

Martin Caton Labour 17,676 47.3
John Bushell Conservative 10,281 27.5
Sheila Waye Liberal Democrat 4,507 12.1
Sian Caiach Plaid Cymru 3,865 10.3

Still not stopping me voting LD though.
Although my local MP is more old Labour than new, I couldn't bring myself to vote for him knowing it's a vote for the Labour Party.

Soldato
nero120 said:
Well considering we've just experienced 8 years of labour hell, I don't think you can blame people if they want a change without having to listen to people harkening back 8-18 years ago. Besides, labour did far more damage than the tories during their 74-79 stint, are you seriously suggesting that people look to past performance as a judge on who to vote for?

Yes, at least recent past performance, the alternative involves actually believing MPs :eek:

MB

Soldato
Haly said:
It's a bit like that round here but in favour of Labour :(

Martin Caton Labour 17,676 47.3
John Bushell Conservative 10,281 27.5
Sheila Waye Liberal Democrat 4,507 12.1
Sian Caiach Plaid Cymru 3,865 10.3

Still not stopping me voting LD though.
Although my local MP is more old Labour than new, I couldn't bring myself to vote for him knowing it's a vote for the Labour Party.

In all honesty I believe that the Labour party have done an OK job in the last few years. Yes, Iraq was a huge **** up and Blair is a sicaphantic twonk but they have taken taxes and turned them into a better economy and improved the health service and education marginally. However the ethical and political stance of the LDs appeal to me more and hence get my vote

MB

Soldato
I selected abstaining, in the absence of a 'Not Decided' option. No party are addressing issues that I was hoping would be part of their manifesto's, so I'm going to see how the campaigning goes. If neither party can convince me then I doubt I will vote

Soldato
OP
Matblack said:
Yes, at least recent past performance, the alternative involves actually believing MPs :eek:

MB

I agree that politicians cannot be taken at their word, but it is better to vote for change than let this current bunch of monkeys abuse their power and totally screw this country up. Our economic good fortune will not last forever.

Soldato
OP
Matblack said:
In all honesty I believe that the Labour party have done an OK job in the last few years. Yes, Iraq was a huge **** up and Blair is a sicaphantic twonk but they have taken taxes and turned them into a better economy and improved the health service and education marginally. However the ethical and political stance of the LDs appeal to me more and hence get my vote

MB

I doubt anyone would say our economy is better than what labour inherited at the end of the tories reign. Lets not forget Brown has blown 5 billion of pension fund, and you cant keep raising taxes forever (much to the disagreement of labour ministers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom