Wholewheat spaghetti

Soldato
Anyone else here buy wholewheat spaghetti? I decided to buy some but thought it wouldn't be very nice. I was surprised though, it's nicer than white spaghetti and the bonus is it's healthier!

Soldato
thread /wfh motivated me to look
- although I buy wholewheat for savoury dishes, not, for macaroni pudding.
it's fibre content is not consistant with regular wholewheat/meal flour of 10%, JS wholewheat pasta is 3.5%, which is what my strong white flour has. !
js packet says 2x fibre of normal .... so that pasta is really meghan(websters)

maybe there are some better wholewheats out there

edit 7.6% on js wholewheat lasagna - better -
edit2: napolina spaghetti 9%

Soldato
Garofalo brand has quite a good range of whole wheat, usually around 8%... not that I really care. Pasta is pasta to me, pretty much.
The Mrs throws various wholewheat pastas at me, because it's meant to be so healthy and good for you... totally ignoring the mountains of cheese and butter and béchamel and stuff that goes into the meals!

Associate
I went through a period of buying wholewheat pasta, but I don't think it's as nice as white and the health benefits are probably marginal at best as long as your diet is decent in general.

Associate
Yeah I've read enough things questioning it. As I said, either way I highly doubt the difference is significant and I don't base my choice in pasta on health reasons these days.

Associate
I normally eat fuselli (with some red pesto) and only buy wholewheat ones, I actually prefer it as it's got a bit more substance to it, but the extra fibre or whatever (as I'm getting on a bit in age) is definitely appreciated ... in fact bread I always try to get wholemeal, rice I get wholegrain ... there's a bit of a pattern there, haha...

It's not quite spaghetti but there was some good wholewheat noodles nests in Marks too (sadly though I think the reason it was heavily discounted because they then discontinued it) the blue dragon ones you get in Tesco or wherever aren't nearly as nice and are more of a pain to separate in the pan.

Soldato
Wholewheat spaghetti would be first choice in my house, regular only when we can't get wholewheat. Still eat normal other styles but the extra bite and taste for spaghetti really works. Spelt is indistinguishable from wholewheat which is handy as we have a coeliac in the family.

Associate
Wholewheat spaghetti would be first choice in my house, regular only when we can't get wholewheat. Still eat normal other styles but the extra bite and taste for spaghetti really works. Spelt is indistinguishable from wholewheat which is handy as we have a coeliac in the family.
Spelt isn't gluten free, I'd be wary giving it to someone with a gluten intolerance, much less full blown coeliac disease.

Soldato
Spelt isn't gluten free, I'd be wary giving it to someone with a gluten intolerance, much less full blown coeliac disease.
You’re right, I was getting confused. The person I'm thinking of has a wheat intolerance. We never cook spaghetti for our coeliac family member as they don’t like any of the gluten free pastas they’ve tried.

Associate
You’re right, I was getting confused. The person I'm thinking of has a wheat intolerance. We never cook spaghetti for our coeliac family member as they don’t like any of the gluten free pastas they’ve tried.
Yeah, most of them are not great. Sainsbury's own brand spaghetti was probably my favourite of the GF ones I've tried. Unfortunately I don't have a sainsbury's near me, meaning I haven't been able to get any for quite a while, so I've no idea if they are still any good or not.

Soldato
buckwheat is pretty good, had some penne from JS, distinctive taste, and would place it above wholewheat ;
more expensive usually than wholewheat , so usually have that.

Soldato
Best wholewheat pasta for Mac and cheese ?

I need to find the wholewheat version, but the larger stuff I had to buy during cv19 shortages (left) is so much better than the penne I've been using forever ,
the sauce really gets inside.
I've never used macaroni itself.

50412184201_7c3cf9bb06_c_d.jpg

https://www.pastarummo.it/en/list/products/organic-wholewheat/

Soldato
I much prefer wholewheat pasta, better texture/flavour.

I love Italian food and was looking at ways to make the sort of things I eat healthier, tried things like wholewheat, turkey mince instead of beef etc, and I'm glad that I did.

Back
Top Bottom