Who's running what this summer?

Associate
binned the mansfield half off, simply not done enough running in the last few weeks, replaced 3-4 runs a week with what seems like 3-4 hangovers a week.

anyway to get back on track have just ran a 10k race tonight and got another 3 races (in the same series) in the next 2 weeks. finished 42.37. hopefully with a few more miles and a few less pints i'll be hitting sub 40 by end of summer which would be good.

Associate
also if anyone has any tips to get my time down it would be most appreciated. It appears i've almost taken a minute off my last 10k a few months ago simply by drinking jagermeister and eating dominos and doing little training inbetween though i don't reccomend this as a sensible training plan.

I'm gonna assume a few 10k+ runs plus some intervals but what sort of pace should i be looking at ? Anyone got any tried and tested plans ?

Soldato
OP
binned the mansfield half off, simply not done enough running in the last few weeks, replaced 3-4 runs a week with what seems like 3-4 hangovers a week..

Join the club.. I'm still going to run Mansfield though, but aint hoping for much. Just rehydrated with 7 pints of Nottingham Brewery's finest :-/

Soldato
Im nervous about going for a massive run after I felt my knee get tight in April.

Lost confidence in myself.

Then I see 80yr old's running on my way home from work... and think to myself.. is this for real!?

Soldato
OP
Im nervous about going for a massive run after I felt my knee get tight in April.

Lost confidence in myself.

Then I see 80yr old's running on my way home from work... and think to myself.. is this for real!?

Just work back up to the massive run and not just go for it. I ache all over at the mo as I'm trying to cram all the mileage in in fits and starts and it aint working. That said I've only had a bad schedule for a couple of weeks, just that it feels like ages since I've run propoerly.

Man of Honour

You should never ever judge old people running because that was my mistake.
These old (er) people know exactly how their bodies work and what they will do.

The first marathon I did in 1999 got a lot of workmates ribbing me because an 85 year old man came in behind me.
When I asked who it was, I ended up with a big smile on my face because I had beaten the legendary Reg Fernyhough who had every honour for his age group from since he was a kid.
In the 2000 marathon he beat me by one place and I ran round with a 72 year old woman who had done 45 marathons.

Soldato
You should never ever judge old people running because that was my mistake.
These old (er) people know exactly how their bodies work and what they will do.

Completely agree! My dad is 68 and completes half marathons under 2 hours with ease. He is fitter than most youngsters i know. He had a fitness test done at his gym and they couldn't analyse his performance properly as he was off the graph for his age group.

Soldato
OP
I've given in to the lure of sun, meat and beer so have decided to knock Mansfield on the head. Current form would suggest I'd not be able to get much under 90mins, so decided a decent night with friends making the most of the weather to be a far better idea! :)

Associate
i heard the course was lined with hosepipes and was mega hard work with the heat, i was once again nursing a hangover and a bruised heel after taking on a 5 ft drop and not landing at all correctly.

managed to complete 5k race tonight in huge amounts of pain but really struggled and will reflect in my result i'm sure. going to have to think seriously about the final 5 miles on thursday given the pain right now.

Soldato
Did the newark half today. First time I've ever done anything like this. Managed 1:54:34 which I was chuffed with. Such a mentally demanding sport though, so many times where I could have given up but decided against it.

Soldato
Good luck for Notts this Sunday firstborn :) How did you find Newark? It was my worst HM to date. I overheated big time and then got stung by a wasp. Not happy!! Ended up with 1:56 :( I'd done a 5M PB 3 days beforehand, so possibly the reason I wasn't on top form.

I've been taking part in league races over the summer, so no real long races. Had our last one (10 miler) at the weekend.

Going into the Autumn so far I have:

October: Leicester Marathon & Birmingham Half
November: Rutland Marathon, Clowne Half & possibly the Seagrave Challenge (15M XC), but I might walk that as it's only a week after Rutland, which is going to be a killer.
December: Turkey Trot (HM)

The London ballot results are out soon. Who's entered?

Associate
I've entered the ballot, i hope i get a place as it will keep me motivated through the winter having just missed the entire summer after injuring my foot.

Oct : Bestwood 10k
Dec : Turkey Trot

Soldato
OP
Good luck for Notts this Sunday firstborn :) How did you find Newark? It was my worst HM to date. I overheated big time and then got stung by a wasp. Not happy!! Ended up with 1:56 :( I'd done a 5M PB 3 days beforehand, so possibly the reason I wasn't on top form.

I've been taking part in league races over the summer, so no real long races. Had our last one (10 miler) at the weekend.

Going into the Autumn so far I have:

October: Leicester Marathon & Birmingham Half
November: Rutland Marathon, Clowne Half & possibly the Seagrave Challenge (15M XC), but I might walk that as it's only a week after Rutland, which is going to be a killer.
December: Turkey Trot (HM)

The London ballot results are out soon. Who's entered?

Well I didn't do Newark or Mansfield in the end due to work commitments. As for Notts I did 'run'. Came back from a holiday in Egypt last week with an upset stomach (I'll save the details) and decided it wouldn't be wise to run. But woke up Sunday morning and though ah why not!, So put on 3 pairs of lycra shorts as a safety measure and jogged around in 1:47, over 20mins slower than I should have been, oh well.

Cardiff half is next, but not expecting anything great from that. Just working on a plan for the next London marthon now - assuming my GFA entry arrives...

Associate
Grrr, you good runners are making me jealous lol

I did 12 miles the other day and did it in 1:46! 15 stone is too much to drag round lol. My poor legs!

Anyone else doing the GNR this weekend?

Back
Top Bottom