Who's running what this summer?

Soldato
Grrr, you good runners are making me jealous lol

I did 12 miles the other day and did it in 1:46! 15 stone is too much to drag round lol. My poor legs!

Anyone else doing the GNR this weekend?

I'm GNRing but I think you knew that :D

Looks like I'll drop back a pen to start with my G/Fs sister, so a steady effort should see 2hrs. My previous long training run was 1:52 for 20km and I wasn't pushing too hard for that.

Associate
Haha :)

I am dropping back a pen to, from orange to white to start with my mum. We put the same times on our entries forms but for some reason she is at the back of white, and I am at the start of Orange, never mind.

Associate
stress fracture in right tibia rulling out my plans of entering and getting rubbish times in a few fell races :( horrible injury as takes so long to recover.

Associate
My legs are killing, think it is more than shin splints, got a doctors appointment booked after the GNR

How does a stress fracture differ from standard shin splints in your experience?

Soldato
2:01:31, so no PB for me but a grand day out (bar the rain). We were just about to hit the Tyne Bridge when the Red Arrows came over - awesome stuff.

Hit half way bang on an hour, so thought things looked good but the last climb past the park and hospital (just prior to the steep drop to the seafront) seemed to get me. The number of people then means the last straight is a real zig-zag avoiding other runners to get a real head of steam up.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/49716968 is my Garmin track. Interesting to compare calorie counts Fluid - my 310XT says 1215 vs 2273 for your 405.

I'm looking at the Liverpool Half for 2010 - it's exactly 8 weeks before the Edinburgh Marathon. My G/F's family live in Liverpool, so I've run quite a few chunks of the course already.

Associate
It is do with weight Chris, I bet I weight a lot more than you! :)

That last mile is longest in the world. I think it is because you think that when you hit the beach you are done, and you forget you have to run down it for a mile! boo

Soldato
I'm doing the Turkey Trot too emetic :) Can't believe the entries sold out in 2 days!! Loved it last year

Ran my second marathon, Leicester, last weekend. I missed 2 of my longest runs due to tonsilitis so I knew I wasn't as prepared as I could have been. I think this had a big impact on my mental strength and I blew up at around 18 miles. Normally, I'd have pushed on, but my head said "you're not trained enough, this was bound to happen" so I gave up and walked for a bit. Ran most of the way from mile 19 but the amount of walking I did between 18 & 19 turned it from a sub-4 marathon to 4:22. Nevermind. These things happen I suppose.

Birmingham HM next weekend. I'm not sure whether I'll trot around with a mate who's doing it for the first time or run it properly yet. I have 2 painful big toe nails from last weekend with blisters under them. NOT nice! Then I have Rutland Marathon on 7th November. Last marathon of the year, PHEW!!! Got a couple more halves booked but I'm looking forward to those :)

Associate
Ran my second marathon, Leicester, last weekend.

Well done on completing the Marathon.

I also completed my second one last Sunday in Brussels. First one was a disaster in Edinburgh a few years back when I got a hamstring injury after 9 miles. Instead of stopping I limped round in 6 hours 19 minutes! Stupidest decision ever as I was out for about 3 months after.

I injured in my Achilles a while back so my longest training run for Brussels was 19 miles back in August. I had to have a couple of weeks off training altogether but managed to get through the Great North Run with no pain. I had got it into my head that I would just do the Half Marathon but my other half, some friends and my running club coach convinced me to give the Marathon a go.

I was a bit nervous at the start as I'd only got to 19 miles and that was 7 weeks ago so I was expecting to hit the wall at 18-19. However I felt really good on the day and paced myself really well. Got to half way in 1 hour 56 minutes and somehow pulled out a 2 hour 1 minute second half to finish in 3:57:34. There was no way I'd expected a sub 4 hour and I beat my PB by over 2 hours.

It's given me a massive confidence boost for my running and I will be aiming for a Sub 3:30 somewhere next year after I've done the Ironman 70.3. :D

Soldato
OP
Well, Cardiff half on the weekend. Debating whether to bother at the moment. Again hardly any mileage due to work commitments means it'll be a slow one if I do run. Descisions descisions..

Soldato
OP
Another shabby effort, 1:38:39. The worst thing was an average HR of 184!! Really need to sort my life out and get back to training proper.

On the plus side, my theoretical HR max is supposed to be less than 180 so I'm glad I survived! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom