• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's waiting for the 3090 and which brand are you getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate

Really think forum people should just lighten up a bit its only a graphics card and stop going on about who buys what and concentrate more on the merits of the card, what it can do, when you are getting one etc etc. Be more like a kid in a candy store than a grumpy old man in a bookies losing his 10th bet.

Thats the whole point everyone in this 3090 forum was here to talk about the 3090 card and be as you put it like a kid in a candy store. The 'grumpy old men' are the ones who try to tear down the fact we are here buying 3090s, and why do they do that I ask if they have no intention of buying a 3090 or are so happy with there current gpus or 3080 purchases? We all knew what we were buying so what's there reasoning if its not a form of envy?

Associate
I'm curious - of all the people who've bought/ordered a 3090, how many will actually use it for non-gaming applications (e.g. 3D rendering)?
Minimal other applications. Some video encoding is about it

So curious, that you registered 7 years ago and this is the first post you've ever made :)
Forum registration comes along with store account registration. I used OCUK to buy the parts for my first build around the same time and never thought to visit the forums

Soldato
I mean, you can be savvy and just not care or not have it matter. Like I KNOW its not good value but I have no use for my expendable income beyond expending it so I'm going to splurge on the pinnacle

Sure, that's OK, if that works for you then that's great. For me I'd have buyers remorse almost straight away as it just doesn't "scratch my itch " ;)

Associate
I've ordered a Gigabyte Gaming OC 3090, kind of regret the purchase of this exact card now due to the 2 x 8 pins after seeing how hungry this card can be however its very much a small problem. As for reasoning as we seem to have to justify purchases..

1 - I play at 4K and any frames, however small is a real added benefit. Yes I understand that the ratio between price increase and performance gain isn't 50:50 but how often is anything like that.
2 - E Wang, its true. I am happy that I finally have something pretty much top of the line. I've grown up watching YT reviewers showcase the best hardware and have always wanted to be able to purchase something top end so this is that accomplished as far as I am concerned.
3 - This card will be kept for a few years now, my aim is for three years usage before upgrading again so that effectively makes the one off cost of £1600 not too concerning.
4 - I've been WFH since the beginning of Lockdown and have been saving £300 a month on train fare into Central London, sod it, I'd rather get a new card then give TFL anymore money for a poorly run train service.

I do not think I got the best OC number in the world only managing to get my order through at 14:08:00 as I didn't expect OC to release the cards any earlier than 14:00 so I am OC4045284.

Enjoy your cards everybody!

Caporegime
The car analogy sort of works I guess for the 3080 vs 3090

I drive a Mercedes E200 Estate worth about 50K (contract hired). It's essentially the same car as an E63 AMG estate worth £100,000, except that is faster.

How many people are going to use their £100,000 sports car on track days? A few will, but many others will just use it for everyday driving only.

Associate
I've ordered a Gigabyte Gaming OC 3090, kind of regret the purchase of this exact card now due to the 2 x 8 pins after seeing how hungry this card can be however its very much a small problem. As for reasoning as we seem to have to justify purchases..

1 - I play at 4K and any frames, however small is a real added benefit. Yes I understand that the ratio between price increase and performance gain isn't 50:50 but how often is anything like that.
2 - E Wang, its true. I am happy that I finally have something pretty much top of the line. I've grown up watching YT reviewers showcase the best hardware and have always wanted to be able to purchase something top end so this is that accomplished as far as I am concerned.
3 - This card will be kept for a few years now, my aim is for three years usage before upgrading again so that effectively makes the one off cost of £1600 not too concerning.
4 - I've been WFH since the beginning of Lockdown and have been saving £300 a month on train fare into Central London, sod it, I'd rather get a new card then give TFL anymore money for a poorly run train service.

I do not think I got the best OC number in the world only managing to get my order through at 14:08:00 as I didn't expect OC to release the cards any earlier than 14:00 so I am OC4045284.

Ahh I have the Gigabyte Eagle 3090 coming. I think they are similar card but they were the cheapest card for me to order - £1399. I did not plan to order it but it appeared and I had quite a lot of vouchers credit from a returned faulty item so thought lets try it !. its been shipped rather then wait months for a 3080 or pay scalpers £900 to £1000 for a 3080 Id rather have this for a bit more.

Soldato
Thats the whole point everyone in this 3090 forum was here to talk about the 3090 card and be as you put it like a kid in a candy store. The 'grumpy old men' are the ones who try to tear down the fact we are here buying 3090s, and why do they do that I ask if they have no intention of buying a 3090 or are so happy with there current gpus or 3080 purchases? We all knew what we were buying so what's there reasoning if its not a form of envy?

Unfortunately you are going to get all opinions in a discussion thread and naturally some people are going to be rubbed up the wrong way by opinions that don't align with their own.

Buy the 3090 / dont buy the 3090 - it's all good. Just accept that some people arent going to agree that it's a worthy purchase and when they don't, try not to default to whole they must be jealous argument as more often than not people are giving perfectly valid reasons as to why they wouldnt buy one. That's not jealousy, it's a difference of opinion. It's up to you to accept their reasoning, rather than call them little green eyed monsters.

Soldato

Its not envy its an opinion and people like to point out poor value. I think the same thing as them its my opinion and its definitely not envy. Give me £1500 no strings attached and I would buy one. Just because I havent got the money doesnt mean I`m jealous. I could easily spend that £1500 you give me on updating my rig. ;) Like Cap Kirk said just ignore it and move on.

Soldato
Yup exactly this

Sure and that's fine but I'm not jealous of your purchase, for you it's savvy and for me it's not, just a difference of opinion nothing more.

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with your new purchase.

I'm hoping for a Zen3/Navi combo for less than the price of a 3090 ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Ahh I have the Gigabyte Eagle 3090 coming. I think they are similar card but they were the cheapest card for me to order - £1399. I did not plan to order it but it appeared and I had quite a lot of vouchers credit from a returned faulty item so thought lets try it !. its been shipped rather then wait months for a 3080 or pay scalpers £900 to £1000 for a 3080 Id rather have this for a bit more.

Yeah they look pretty much identical except for the LED on the near side of the gaming. I am sure that they are great cards regardless of the power constraints. You could argue that being hardware locked to two x 8 Pins is a good thing for longevity of the card. Congrats on getting an early dispatch!

Associate
Yeah they look pretty much identical except for the LED on the near side of the gaming. I am sure that they are great cards regardless of the power constraints. You could argue that being hardware locked to two x 8 Pins is a good thing for longevity of the card. Congrats on getting an early dispatch!

I did see the reviews of it and they compared it to the MSI 3090 which has 3 8 pins. There was a couple of FPS difference or 0 depending on the resolution but that was £300 more then this. I have always loved the MSI trio series though.

Associate

The thing that really rubs me is that nVidia release a product that's objectively poor value for money, yet people reward that by throwing more money at them.

Associate
Sure and that's fine but I'm not jealous of your purchase, for you it's a savvy and for me it's not, just a difference of opinion nothing more.

Good luck to ya :) - I have too many rigs already - although I am sure I will upgrade one more hehe

Associate

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/gigabyte-rtx-3090-eagle-oc-review/8/

There you are

Caporegime

Not directly related to what you said, but this is another area that is often overlooked....to be honest.

If you are a gamer and play at 4K/60hz, then you are wasting your money upgrading your CPU/motherboard/RAM...You are massively GPU limited at that resolution other than some very specific instance (Crysis Remastered for instance).

You are better off keeping the CPU you have and shunting all that money in to a GPU.

If you play at lower resolution/high framerates then it's a different story of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom