• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's waiting for the 3090 and which brand are you getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I do not think I got the best OC number in the world only managing to get my order through at 14:08:00 as I didn't expect OC to release the cards any earlier than 14:00 so I am OC4045284.

Enjoy your cards everybody!
I got OC4045104 some 5 minutes earlier
180 orders in 5 minutes. That's some load right there

I actually sort of assumed the 3 x 8 pin design of the Strix was going to be the standard on most AIBs I must say
I ordered an 850W PSU at the same time as the 3090 and I'm already worrying if it's enough

Associate
I personally ordered the MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio.

My reasoning is thusly:
Not prepared to wait a silly amount of time for a 3080 when I managed to get in early for the 3090.
I love the X Trio cards - already have a 2070s version. The extra money is worth it for the solid build, temps and acoustics. Price isn't always about pure performance!
I use Blender as a hobby and for small amounts of work here and there this will save me time.
I can write it off as a business expense so it has cost me nothing.
I have a HP Reverb G2 on 1st batch pre-order, so the extra performance boost at an equivalent of 5K (2160 x 2160 rendered twice from different camera sources) will hopefully scale better vs a 3080.

I recognise I will have a small wait on my hands, but I'm not fussed because my G2 hasn't shipped yet either.

Soldato
Not directly related to what you said, but this is another area that is often overlooked....to be honest.

If you are a gamer and play at 4K/60hz, then you are wasting your money upgrading your CPU/motherboard/RAM...You are massively GPU limited at that resolution other than some very specific instance (Crysis Remastered for instance).

You are better off keeping the CPU you have and shunting all that money in to a GPU.

If you play at lower resolution/high framerates then it's a different story of course.

Agreed, but shunting an extra £700 into a GPU for a marginal gain in performance just isn't my idea of fun. I get that some must have the "pinnacle" but for me that makes it a vanity purchase for the majority of users.

I'd just rather keep the £700 for other toys given the very low bang-for-buck ratio ;)

Associate

I actually sort of assumed the 3 x 8 pin design of the Strix was going to be the standard on most AIBs I must say
I ordered an 850W PSU at the same time as the 3090 and I'm already worrying if it's enough

5379 at 14:11 - some quantities indeed!

Associate

Admittedly not checking the actual specification is my own fault, I had assumed that 3 x 8 was a default so I am slightly surprised that it didn't become defacto. I am guessing that the 2 x 8 is a method of selling the slightly worse binned chips but again, I have no evidence to support this.

Associate
I think there's an element of jealousy at play and it can be difficult understanding people who have different priorities than ourselves.

We don't all have the same budgets and we don't all spend our expendable income the same way. Some are fortunate to be able to afford all the finer things in life but most of us have to prioritise things to spend our money on within a budget.

A 3090 will be great for those who need it for work or those who simply want a flagship card at any expense.

I'd wager most of us can afford it. Let's face it £1500 is not an astronomical, unobtainable, sum of money. It's just most of us can't justify the outlay over a 3080 for such a minimal performance boost.
Pretty much. Just because “it’s not worth it” to some people doesn’t mean it’s not worth it to others. We all have different personal circumstances, and we are all starting from different points. For me, getting it immediately (as opposed to waiting 2-3 months for a 3080) and upgrading from a 6-year-old rig makes it worth the extra outlay. If I had a 2080 in my possession and money was tight, it would not be worth it.

Soldato
Why are some people so bothered at what others do? I’m using a 2080ti and still ordered an 3080 and 3090. Let the meltdown begin :rolleyes:

Last time I checked this was a "discussion forum", so expect discussion, if you post expect somebody to post back with an opinion that differs from yours then I think you're missing the point of the forum ;)

Associate
Just got my 3090 TUF from OCUK! First thing I did was try Timespy - sitting at 39th global in the single GPU charts at stock speeds :D

Associate
Does anyone know of any benchmarks of 3090 SLI yet? Based on the current FPS numbers for 8k, my hopes of getting playable framerates at 4k surround are pretty slim. I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile to bite the bullet and go for 2 3090s. (Alongside a nice Super Flower PSU so my house doesn't burn down)

Associate
Last time I checked this was a "discussion forum", so expect discussion, if you post expect somebody to post back with an opinion that differs from yours then I think you're missing the point of the forum ;)
Discussion and bitterness are a bit different though :)

Soldato
Discussion and bitterness are a bit different though :)

Please see my previous posts, I'm absolutely not bitter, it's just for me this doesn't "do it" for me in terms of what I enjoy from having built PCs for the last 30 years.

I'll save you time for looking, see below

Exactly this, if I really wanted a 3090 I could buy one but as somebody that wants some kind of "bang for buck" the price chokes me off. I've been overclocking since Celeron 300A, always wanting to squeeze that bit more for a bit less, the 3090 is just a vulgar/vanity product for all but a few users.

If you want one great, fill your boots but don't expect me to applaud your lack of tech/value savvy as you're not "one of my kind" ;)

I think for some here the perceived bitterness/jealousy is the problem, maybe that's what get's you excited ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've ordered an Asus Strix 3090

Justification? Hard to justify, but I'm not buying an Xbox Series X or PS5. Previously I've bought every console ever released since about 1996.

Associate
I'm curious - of all the people who've bought/ordered a 3090, how many will actually use it for non-gaming applications (e.g. 3D rendering)?

I do. Cinema 4d/octane render. Unreal engine. After effects. Premiere. Etc.

2080ti is fine for now. But pretty much using up all the vram.

I do play games but mostly in my living room C9 TV so that means getting the cheaper 3070 for HDMI 2.1. should be good enough..

Just have to wait till they come in stock..

Associate
Please see my previous posts, I'm absolutely not bitter, it's just for me this doesn't "do it" for me in terms of what I enjoy from having built PCs for the last 30 years.

I'll save you time for looking, see below

I think for some here the perceived bitterness/jealousy is the problem, maybe that's what get's you excited ;)
If it doesn’t ‘do it’ for you then why are you even on a 3090 thread :o

Soldato
If it doesn’t ‘do it’ for you then why are you even on a 3090 thread :o

This is getting a little circular

Why are some people so bothered at what others do? I’m using a 2080ti and still ordered an 3080 and 3090. Let the meltdown begin :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom