• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's waiting for the 3090 and which brand are you getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Lol forums gone mental. As long as people buying the card are well aware of the price to performance, know what there getting etc and happy with that, then anyone’s else opinion is irrelevant. Dang not the fist time and will not be last, 2080Ti from price to performance was worse still yet sold in droves. Another instance was 1080Ti and Titan Xp (which came out later) being few % better yet was massive price delta, yet sold fine and was snapped up by many on here. Those who get the RTX3070 may think anyone spending more on a 3080 is mental and "not tech savy". All subjective.

I think I would be the worst enthusiast going by definition thrown around here. Custom hardline loops, RGB bling etc which do nothing much(*) for performance but cost a ton :p

right, back on topic. My card arrived today. Yay.
I did run into a couple of problems initially. It did not like my riser card at all. Tried installing a few times but kept getting a bios error. Removed the riser and booted first time. Now there is a chance it's not the fact I'm using a riser but more the fact the weight was causing some bending on it as the riser is floating about my bottom fans.
For now, I'll leave the card plugged directly in until I can figure this out/ get a new riser.
Haven't tested anything yet though, got to finish work for the day before the fun begins.

This is interesting and something I been mulling about. Not the broken riser card but PCIe 4.0 portion. my 3090 is going into my HTPC which uses a Riser card in the Shift X, but I know some riser cards behave odd with PCIe 4.0. Do you have a zen based system with PCIe 4.0 at all which could be causing the issues with the riser?

Associate
Lol forums gone mental. As long as people buying the card are well aware of the price to performance, know what there getting etc and happy with that, then anyone’s else opinion is irrelevant. Dang not the fist time and will not be last, 2080Ti from price to performance was worse still yet sold in droves. Another instance was 1080Ti and Titan Xp (which came out later) being few % better yet was massive price delta, yet sold fine and was snapped up by many on here. Those who get the RTX3070 may think anyone spending more on a 3080 is mental and "not tech savy". All subjective.

I think I would be the worst enthusiast going by definition thrown around here. Custom hardline loops, RGB bling etc which do nothing much(*) for performance but cost a ton :p

This is interesting and something I been mulling about. Not the broken riser card but PCIe 4.0 portion. my 3090 is going into my HTPC which uses a Riser card in the Shift X, but I know some riser cards behave odd with PCIe 4.0. Do you have a zen based system with PCIe 4.0 at all which could be causing the issues with the riser?

I keep fancying a riser too. But I read about so many problems with them! I've got a Z490 board with "PCIE4.0 compatible slots" - whatever that actually means when the time for the bios update comes :rolleyes: and bags of space in my case (Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Orange) and lots of lovely RGB's to give people migraines.

Associate
right, back on topic. My card arrived today. Yay.
I did run into a couple of problems initially. It did not like my riser card at all. Tried installing a few times but kept getting a bios error. Removed the riser and booted first time. Now there is a chance it's not the fact I'm using a riser but more the fact the weight was causing some bending on it as the riser is floating about my bottom fans.
For now, I'll leave the card plugged directly in until I can figure this out/ get a new riser.
Haven't tested anything yet though, got to finish work for the day before the fun begins.

Did you set ur MB to PCIE 3 as most riser cards are PCIE 3 ( thats if you have a PCIE 4 mb )

Otherwise the board gets confused and won't boot from the videos and forum chatter I have seen.

Associate
Went for a Palit GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming Pro OC. Anyone order one of those puppies? I see some of the non-OC ones have gone out in some places. Ordered at 14:07. So, as they say in Chernobyl "not great, not terrible". I see orders for other cards shipping, that were ordered after mine.

Associate
Wait, did you order from OC or elsewhere? At what time did your order go through?

Mine still shows as "Order received - not yet shipped."

I didn't order from OC as they aren't offering game codes and I don't have free shipping here. It was the barcode place and my order was processed at 14:05. Their orders didn't open until a couple of minutes past though I think. At least nothing was showing for me.

Associate
I use Blender as a hobby and for small amounts of work here and there this will save me time.
I can write it off as a business expense so it has cost me nothing.
SO which is it? For business or for personal use? Seems its only for business a little, a business expense needs to be wholly, exclusively, and necessarily incurred for the purposes of the business.
I'm defrauding nobody. All company purchases are pre-authorised with the other share holders first. Then there's the fact that it's for work :D So HMRC aren't getting defrauded either. - It just so happens that I play games too during my extended breaks when I'm working from home. :D
So its confirmed, its not wholly, necessarily and exclusively for business.
https://library.croneri.co.uk/cch_uk/p11d/11-105
"The main result of the ‘wholly and exclusively’ part of the rule is to prohibit the cost of expenditure which has a private purpose as well as a business one."

Associate

I do, I'm running a 3700x on an x570 gaming carbon. The 2070S I had before didn't have any problems but this seems to be a bit picky. I dropped the 2070s back in with the riser and booted with no issue.
As I say, it could just be the riser bending under weight or something more onerous with the card.

Associate
Did you set ur MB to PCIE 3 as most riser cards are PCIE 3 ( thats if you have a PCIE 4 mb )

Otherwise the board gets confused and won't boot from the videos and forum chatter I have seen.

No, to be honest I forgot to change it. With the 2070s I didn't see a need to set to PCIE4. The riser will most definitely PCIE3 though.

Soldato
No, to be honest I forgot to change it. With the 2070s I didn't see a need to set to PCIE4. The riser will most definitely PCIE3 though.

Yeah likely your issue. 2070s is PCIe 3.0. New GPU is 4.0 along with your motherboard. PCIe risers are finicky. Can go into the BIOS usually and set the x16 slot to run at PCIe 3.0 and should solve the riser card issue.

Soldato
No, it literally COST "ME" NOTHING! I put it on my company credit card, which is how I pay for my monitors, other hardware, fuel, tyres, car repairs. And the company pays for it. Hasn't cost me a single penny!
Ok it cost your company which I guess reduces your profit and therefore your dividend. Anyways, that’s tax efficient for sure. Good on ya.

Soldato
Hope you feel better now :)
Why would I feel better? I was just saying that things ain’t free just because you run it through a business or directors account. It is being tax efficient but not free.

Technically that hardware shouldn’t be used for personal use ie gaming etc. If the tax man find out then you are in a bit of trouble as it is effectively tax evasion. But hey-ho anyone shrewd enough do it anyways and write the asset off the very next year as depreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom