• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's waiting for the 3090 and which brand are you getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Technically that hardware shouldn’t be used for personal use ie gaming etc. If the tax man find out then you are in a bit of trouble as it is effectively tax evasion. But hey-ho anyone shrewd enough do it anyways and write the asset off the very next year as depreciation.

Technically speaking, you shouldn't use an office pen, post-it note, or time to write a shopping list but most people do!

Soldato
Technically speaking, you shouldn't use an office pen, post-it note, or time to write a shopping list but most people do!
Those items are very different to a high value PC. Same principal with company cars being used for sole personal use.

you shouldn’t and people do cos HMRC is severely under resources. But if someone reports you then you are done for. HMRC is not going to give a rats backside if you are buying paper, pens and other low value goods. But if you are accumulating massive costs or spending on big ticket items then I really wouldn’t be as brazen as you by stating it all over a public forum...just a friendly advice.

the law is the law. Just because the government doesn’t enforce as much as it should, doesn’t make what you doing legal...

Associate
Those items are very different to a high value PC. Same principal with company cars being used for sole personal use.

you shouldn’t and people do cos HMRC is severely under resources. But if someone reports you then you are done for. HMRC is not going to give a rats backside if you are buying paper, pens and other low value goods. But if you are accumulating massive costs or spending on big ticket items then I really wouldn’t be as brazen as you by stating it all over a public forum...just a friendly advice.

the law is the law. Just because the government doesn’t enforce as much as it should, doesn’t make what you doing legal...

hard to have any respect for the government after working through the whole covid lockdown in hospitals. Whilst the self employed got tons of free money and some got more especially ppl in the building trade who worked and got grants.

Then there were all those ppl on furlough who then had garden makeovers and parties and at the beach and then holidays abroad.

claiming no vat on a graphics is the least of the things you should be worried about

Soldato
Whilst the self employed got tons of free money and some got more especially ppl in the building trade who worked and got grants.
what you said there is fraud. if you know ppl doing it then it needs to be reported. it is money that you and me pay as PAYE (sole trader and Limited Company Contractors seldom pays much) that's been taken out of system so it should be paid back to the coffer so we can have better care, roads, infrastructure or preparation for Brexit.

just because fraud or tax evasion is rife doesn't mean it is right tho.

I dont think the original person is claiming VAT rebate on the card not sure. but he s using his company make the purchase claiming expenses so his revenue of the year is offset against it therefore he is reduced his overall company tax exposure. then in the following year(s) as it is a depreciable asset in the accounts and eventually writes the asset off. but that's saying the equipment is for company use not for sole personal use which i would imagine that card is being used for sole enjoyment of gaming.

Associate

I spoke at length to a Government tax officer on their helpline regarding getting a slightly better than I needed PC for my work from home use and also using it for some recreational purposes like gaming.

His consensus was that while someone buying a £1000+ GPU that didn't need it would be gaming the system, they have many people who a buy a high or top of the range Mac for their dog walking business or similar that doesn't generate much revenue and may not even pay any tax because they earn so little.

So if people are buying top of the range Macs and somehow justifying it for work from home jobs, then say a £400 GPU instead of a £100 isn't doing any harm, especially if that more expensive GPU comes with a 4 year warranty than guarantees ability to work from home during that time. If that business also pays regular tax like mine does, then it's not really an issue.

Associate
Well if you already pay a lot of tax and will use it legitimately for work purposes for Blender (even if not a huge amount of time) then it likely is justifiable. I couldn't justify that for my business as I don't use anything like as high GPU requirements. If I get a high range GTX5000 series like I plan to a couple of years away I'll probably only claim half of it.

Associate
I didn't order from OC as they aren't offering game codes and I don't have free shipping here. It was the barcode place and my order was processed at 14:05. Their orders didn't open until a couple of minutes past though I think. At least nothing was showing for me.
My order for the same card and from the same place went through at 14:05 too. Couldn’t get through the capture quick enough.

Associate
Do these cards clock about the same?
I'm looking to use a waterblock, and really like the look of a founders with EK block. However, as other cards have higher power limits such as strix, is there much to be gained by going higher limit?

fx1

fx1

Associate
Lol forums gone mental. As long as people buying the card are well aware of the price to performance, know what there getting etc and happy with that, then anyone’s else opinion is irrelevant. Dang not the fist time and will not be last, 2080Ti from price to performance was worse still yet sold in droves. Another instance was 1080Ti and Titan Xp (which came out later) being few % better yet was massive price delta, yet sold fine and was snapped up by many on here. Those who get the RTX3070 may think anyone spending more on a 3080 is mental and "not tech savy". All subjective.

I think I would be the worst enthusiast going by definition thrown around here. Custom hardline loops, RGB bling etc which do nothing much(*) for performance but cost a ton :p

This is interesting and something I been mulling about. Not the broken riser card but PCIe 4.0 portion. my 3090 is going into my HTPC which uses a Riser card in the Shift X, but I know some riser cards behave odd with PCIe 4.0. Do you have a zen based system with PCIe 4.0 at all which could be causing the issues with the riser?

Well the 2080Ti had 40% more frames than the 1080ti at 40% more money. It was a terrible deal.

The 3090 has 8-12% more frames than the 3080 for 110-150% more cost. Its the worst deal in graphics history. Even Titans had compute for semi pro use.

The 3090 is the suckers card. Every brand knows it has sucker customers who will buy the most expensive option no matter how bad a deal is. Porsche used to have £500 cup holders just because they knew some of their customers are stupid enough to buy them. They see a fool and his money are easily parted and all they need is a way to part you from that money. Because in their eyes the money is better spent by them than you.

Im seeing people order the 3090 with sucky ass monitors, unless you got the best monitor money can buy and the rest of the PC is top notch then you should be putting that money to better use. Nobody will ever notice the difference in the few extra frames. But everyone can see a better monitor.

Soldato
Well the 2080Ti had 40% more frames than the 1080ti at 40% more money. It was a terrible deal.

The 3090 has 8-12% more frames than the 3080 for 110-150% more cost. Its the worst deal in graphics history. Even Titans had compute for semi pro use.

The 3090 is the suckers card. Every brand knows it has sucker customers who will buy the most expensive option no matter how bad a deal is. Porsche used to have £500 cup holders just because they knew some of their customers are stupid enough to buy them. They see a fool and his money are easily parted and all they need is a way to part you from that money. Because in their eyes the money is better spent by them than you.

Im seeing people order the 3090 with sucky ass monitors, unless you got the best monitor money can buy and the rest of the PC is top notch then you should be putting that money to better use. Nobody will ever notice the difference in the few extra frames. But everyone can see a better monitor.

It was terrible yet sold fine shrug. Nah for me I would get 3080 if I could, I can't in reasonable time and want to crack on with gaming and do not care about the extra cost. I imagine plenty of other 3090 buyers are similar. If A) money is tight, B) you will get buyers remorse or C) are not aware of the small delta in performance, then move on its that simple. If none of its an issue then crack on I say. Personally I would get 3080, but would be at back of a Queue which is going back god knows how long and have crap load of time off to game with so meh, the slight extra cost of 3090 is largely irrelevant for me.

I imagine anyone who can buy £500 cup holders without a thought in a Porsche has money to burn and is usually not generally stupid if they got themselves there ;)

Caporegime

to be fair that whole cup holder thing just applies to Porsche full stop and all their customers are suckers for buying their cars. Take the vw Touareg/Audi q7/Porsche cayenne platform. All three basically the same cars but different bodies and internal materials.

fine they are aimed at different markets and it goes up around £5k going from vw to Audi to Porsche. Fine to then pay more for the nicer leather Porsche seats but all the optional tech is going to me the same module across the three cars which is why they did it to save money.

so heads up,display will be £1100 on bow, £1500 on Audi and £2000+ on Porsche. Same on every feature. If you ticked every option the gap between the Audi ant the Porsche jumps from £5k to over £30k. Reallly Porsche should ever sell a single cayenne based on value for money or sense.

but agree with you about sucky monitors. I’ve been gaming on 4K for 5 years now and finally I have a card to do it justice

Associate
ASUS 3090 STRIX OC, could not get the FTW 3090 ULTRA so this was the next option. I sold my RTX 2080ti Gaming X trio 3 weeks ago, I should have sold it now because I need to GAME !!!
Same, I’m stuck with my old 970 for a while longer lol. Can’t wait to get back into death stranding on my new card

Associate
Same, I’m stuck with my old 970 for a while longer lol. Can’t wait to get back into death stranding on my new card

Working from home has its benefits I guess, I save a lot of money on fuel for one and unnecessary spending.
Purchase List form April till present :
PlayStation 5 + Additional Controller and Spiderman
Asus ROG PG35VQ - Gaming Monitor.
Secetlab Gaming Chair
Sonos Arc Soundbar
Asus 3090 Strix OC

I will post photos of my gaming Room when my card gets here, I'm loving this forum as it makes the wait easier and learning how to find "loopholes" with HMRC LOL.

LG need to update the C9 OLED as I have heard these cards have been having issues with them, I cant wait to play RDR2 and Death Stranding in 4k 100+fps in 65 inch OLED glory.

970 ? wow its going to be a massive jump for you, you have a 4k tv right ? I started with ASUS 970 then went to Msi 1080 Gaming and then MSI 2080ti Gaming X trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom