Why are tradesmen so expensive

Associate
Out of interest (not that I require it) what did the structural engineer require you to do?

If its £150 to sort a problem doesn't seem to bad. One of those "£1 to hit the hammer and £9,999 to know where to hit it" type jobs :cry:

Yeah pretty much this to be fair, but he must be raking it in if he's doing X amount of visits per day and charging that!

I moved into the house around a year and a half back. It was extended 30 years ago, 'built' using thermalite blocks and badly by a nipper or someone who was just a ****. It seems these aerated blocks are prone to cracking due to shrinkage and need the mortar mix spot on to prevent cracking. I've got 2 walls in different rooms on the extended part, one which has stairway cracks around the mortar line (I ripped off the plaster and hardcrete stuff) and the other which has a floor to ceiling vertical crack, which goes straight through the blocks, bit alarming!

Structural engineer wasn't bothered by them at all and said it wasn't movement or anything to worry about, he recommended we install these helical tie rods.

Crack Stitching Kit Including 10 Helical Bars - £85.50 (permagard.co.uk)

Having said that, we have a builder in the family who's recommended ripping the cracked blocks out and replacing them properly - All fun and games in this place.

Soldato
A tradesman may be the best in the world at what they do, but their skills aren't much use if a. they don't turn up and b. they don't tell you they're not turning up. This happens constantly and across all trades, so perhaps communication should become part of their training. Of course there are those who do turn up, or communicate if they're going to be a day late etc. but they're in the minority in my experience.

Soldato
A tradesman may be the best in the world at what they do, but their skills aren't much use if a. they don't turn up and b. they don't tell you they're not turning up. This happens constantly and across all trades, so perhaps communication should become part of their training. Of course there are those who do turn up, or communicate if they're going to be a day late etc. but they're in the minority in my experience.

+1 every time I plan a project that requires a trade it's always a battle to get someone. Always the same either they don't turn up to quote or they do turn up to quote then ghost me after I accept the quote, or agree a start date but then they don't turn up with no contact with a reason why etc. Always a chore.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Just getting door quotes and I'm going to do it myself. The extra cost is not worth it.

Skimming the walls. I'll pay that. But watched the vids for door. Looks not to bad
You’ve had a few negative replies to this, but in my opinion you are right. I’ve fitted a fair few doors now (upvc and composite) and it’s a doddle, no harder than fitting a large upvc window.
They come pre hung and adjusted in the frame (worst case being a few easy screws on the hinges to adjust once fitted).

Just make sure you have a packet of shims and are used to using window anchors. Common sense applies all round, dont stress the frame, don’t bend the frame by anchoring in unshimmed locations etc.

Associate
+1 every time I plan a project that requires a trade it's always a battle to get someone. Always the same either they don't turn up to quote or they do turn up to quote then ghost me after I accept the quote, or agree a start date but then they don't turn up with no contact with a reason why etc. Always a chore.

Pretty much the case with every gardener right now.

Soldato
If the trade is impacted by weather then expect how they operate to adjust around current weather.

A person that wants repeat custom will look after the customer. Unfortunately a large number of tradespeople look at the money and how long it will take. Plenty of demand.

Soldato
Why should they be cheap, most of my family are in trades and work so hard they end up half crippled.

And they my cousin who spent most of his life in Uni, sits on his behind all day and bought a 500K house not long after starting work in London.

Soldato
Having to take a qualification course every few years and pay for the privilege.Same for a plumber too
(according to a few of my fellow tradesman mates/am retired now but was what they told me previously )
That's not really a trade issue, more a self employed issue.
I have to do multiple courses each year, but my employer pays for them.

Soldato

It's been more than 6 weeks of me fighting to get a quote from someone who came and measured up my fence to replace. I've also not gotten responses from 3 people who have come to see my car for detailing before it goes back at the end of finance. Additionally British Gas only did half a job on my heating system and have ghosted me.

My decorator who is currently in took a 3 day gap on the first week, 2 days on the second and then 1.5 weeks off and isn't coming back until Thursday. This was supposed to be finished in 5 days.

It's insane how difficult it is to give people money.

Soldato
Currently doing my own detached garage renovation, had quotes around £12-14k, should come in at £6.5k and that includes £1k on electrics and £600 on plasterer. I'm a pretty novice DIYer, just upskilled with about £800 or so on decent tools. Not everything needs a tradesman, just take your time, get the right tools and YouTube is your friend :)

Soldato
It's been more than 6 weeks of me fighting to get a quote from someone who came and measured up my fence to replace. I've also not gotten responses from 3 people who have come to see my car for detailing before it goes back at the end of finance. Additionally British Gas only did half a job on my heating system and have ghosted me.

My decorator who is currently in took a 3 day gap on the first week, 2 days on the second and then 1.5 weeks off and isn't coming back until Thursday. This was supposed to be finished in 5 days.

It's insane how difficult it is to give people money.
Maybe it's you:D. I sympathise, we had a plasterer booking to skim a ceiling. We emptied the room out (living room so plenty of stuff), not only did he not turn up but there was no apology or even contact since. I got someone else in and had no issues with him. I'd rather people man up and say there's a problem.

Edit^Plastering is a black art if your doing it yourself.

Soldato
What's up with being a sparky?

Biggest issue for me is working away from home.
The money is terrible, you are lucky to see £20/hr.
Jobs are usually short contracts.
Parkings usually awful, poor toilet and canteen facilities.
Dangerous, back breaking work - then fitting an expensive glass fitting the next day, requires multi skill.
Working at heights, often hanging off step ladders in confined spaces when no one is looking.
Long hours, few breaks, 4 years training, even then being forced to mess around with a portfolio and write up dozens of jobs with photos.
Trust me, we earn every single penny.
Most electricians also have drink problems.
They use alcohol to unwind from the stress of the day.

Soldato
Currently doing my own detached garage renovation, had quotes around £12-14k, should come in at £6.5k and that includes £1k on electrics and £600 on plasterer. I'm a pretty novice DIYer, just upskilled with about £800 or so on decent tools. Not everything needs a tradesman, just take your time, get the right tools and YouTube is your friend :)
That's the thing. If you have time then you can do anything really. People tend to pay someone else who is an expert do get it done professionally, quickly and without too much hastle. Thats what you are paying the extra for

Back
Top Bottom