Why are tradesmen so expensive

Soldato
Cut out the tax man and you're laughing.

Not if you work in the finance or tax industry.. the wife works in tax so it means all the work needs to be invoiced and if applicable (ie the tradesman's revenue over 82K IIRC) then they need to add VAT.. so no dodgy notes in envelopes for cheaper trade work for any work we get done. Besides you're saving yourself £, breaking the law and screwing everyone else resulting in larger tax bills.
Not that I like tax or the way the government taxes (tax on the cost of delivery.. I means FFS) and that tax 'efficiencies' supported by the politicians for richer individuals leads to little or no tax paid really becomes a point of morality.

Tea Drinker
Don
For those people on OCUK that are in the trade, I'd be interested to hear of how you find it honestly. I ask as someone that has an interest in it for the sake of my kid who is expressing an interest in doing something like electrician/plumber/carpenter. He likes working with his hands. He's actually quite bright but just eyeing up career prospects and likes the sound of these kind of jobs. The vast majority of anyone I ask about their job as a career (in anything I mean, not just trades), almost always reply negatively and to not go into whatever they do. I think this is a British thing though. We like to focus on the negatives of work and the rat race that it becomes. I think some people like trying to keep their area protected and as competition free as possible so they ultimately stay relevant and in need for as long as possible, so there is a little bit of that going on too. I think there is a real lack of people willing to take others on under their wing to learn things as well these days.

For me personally with trade jobs it looks like you can earn a hell of a lot of money these days but I suspect it does come with less guarantee of work over long periods. I suspect it is more stressful having to always be "on it" and perform to good standards to not tarnish your rep. Managing actual real life customers and Karens could be hard especially when young and just starting out. Then there's the real realisation that yeah...come 40 years old your body is going to be rinsed out a lot. The amount of traders with physical knee/back/hand issues is staggering. I know someone that is a mechanic and in his 60s still doing it... He's in and out of hospital multiple times a year just to keep going.

I would worry about young apprentices breaking into a trade as I guess people want tried and trusted, experienced people.

The big numbers aren't all gravy as my accountant would say. Construction is awful really, working in the elements, fairly dangerous conditions, not always guaranteed. Think how many rainy days we have, bricklayers won't be earning, same with freezing conditions or wind. Work is transient and involves a lot of travel, messing around with parking.

Facilities are usually awful, thunderboxes at 9 million degrees with no toilet paper.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
No real education? Wow I wish I was allowed to swear on here! I'm glad I'm not your spark if you choose to look down your nose like that. What you have posted has properly boiled my **** to be honest.

Sure in reality anyone with half a brain could probably wire a house but could they do all the calcs to ensure its safe? Yes you can find a calculator online but experience is such a massive part of it. I didnt spend 4 years back and forth to college, many years on site learning and doing god knows how many exams and courses to have some ill advised person tell me I have limited intelligence with no real education. I guess they let any numpty work on it eh?

oh and day rate I get charged out at around £5-600 a day on petrochem and gas sites and around half that on other jobs but in fairness I do the 'weird and wonderful' stuff that my experience and knowledge from 20+ years on the job allows me to do.

Give me a break being a house spark is easy. The only reason a spark is tricky due to all the red tape that keeps being put in place by a gravy train regulatory body in the name of safety. That's not to say its not skilled but of all the trades its the easiest.

Soldato
Current VAT threshold is £85k FYI

You can see not all 100% the mrs says to me goes in :D

Just to add - when I was offered a bank job previously it was dependant on the financial vetting. They wanted 1 year of all my accounts as I was essentially out of job and not claiming. I was asked about random transactions etc so it's not an idle threat and the more sensitive the role in terms of risk the more they will scrutinise.

Soldato
Not if you work in the finance or tax industry.. the wife works in tax so it means all the work needs to be invoiced and if applicable (ie the tradesman's revenue over 82K IIRC) then they need to add VAT.. so no dodgy notes in envelopes for cheaper trade work for any work we get done. Besides you're saving yourself £, breaking the law and screwing everyone else resulting in larger tax bills.
Not that I like tax or the way the government taxes (tax on the cost of delivery.. I means FFS) and that tax 'efficiencies' supported by the politicians for richer individuals leads to little or no tax paid really becomes a point of morality.

Just to clarify, it's the person doing the work and taking payment that is responsible for how they pay tax. You are not (in anyway) breaking the law by paying a trade in cash (even in an envelope). Even agreeing a 'cash price' isn't (for you) against the law. What happens to the money once you've handed it over as payment for the work is none of your concern.

Associate
Just to clarify, it's the person doing the work and taking payment that is responsible for how they pay tax. You are not (in anyway) breaking the law by paying a trade in cash (even in an envelope). Even agreeing a 'cash price' isn't (for you) against the law. What happens to the money once you've handed it over as payment for the work is none of your concern.

exactly.. when in the trade i often did cash jobs....but little did they know i used to write invoices out after, just a case of giving them discount , people thought they were getting the job cheap off the books so less inclined to raise too much fuss if minor problems occured. there copy went in the bin mine went to the accountant.

also have a vat official in the direct family and 2 tax inspectors so really didnt want the hassle, some of the tales that came back made my hair stand on end...

Soldato
Give me a break being a house spark is easy. The only reason a spark is tricky due to all the red tape that keeps being put in place by a gravy train regulatory body in the name of safety. That's not to say its not skilled but of all the trades its the easiest.

I think you may be on a bit of a wind up here. I know plenty of sparks and they are highly trained individuals many of whom worry very very hard and often at their own personal risk.

there is a reason the industry is so heavily regulated

Soldato
Cash isn’t the issue - it’s the collusion to avoid paying tax..

It's not collusion though, it's completely up to the worker to pay tax at the applicable rate and in the correct manor and isn't really any of your business (nor problem).

Soldato
I can never get any of them to call back or turn up. I'm amazed they stay in business.
Have a check at the sparkies on YouTube to see why that is. Most of the time the jobs pretty small or it's too far out to travel, isn't cost efficient to take it or they're just too damn busy! If you think about it they don't get time to price the job during the day, and when they finally get back from working all day they'd have to spend more time to price the job and it's almost like working nonstop really.

Just like Bluecube has said above.

I kinda understand it now having watched quite a bit why most trades people would do that. It's annoying though, but just the nature of the job.

It's a catch-22, if you want a trusted trades person you'll get quotes and want a breakdown of costs etc to compare, and to them that takes time (to price it all up without the guarantee of the job) so for their other existing customers who already experienced their work they'll just do those other jobs where the customers have the money ready and just want stuff fixed.

Soldato
I think you may be on a bit of a wind up here. I know plenty of sparks and they are highly trained individuals many of whom worry very very hard and often at their own personal risk.

there is a reason the industry is so heavily regulated
The physical stuff is really easy. It's knowing and applying the regulations that's the skilled bit.

Associate
We have been doing up our flat for a while now and whenever I have to get someone in to do something I can't do I am absolutely amazed at how much they can charge. You can tell me that being an electrician or plumber is a skilled job as much as you like but its a really simple job. Anyone with half a brain could learn to do it very quickly.

I assume its due to supply and demand because I can't think of that many other jobs that require no real education, limited intelligence and basic training which allow you to earn as much as plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc earn.

How much are you guys paying for these trades on a day rate basis?
It’s pretty simple.

it is far from being a job that requires no real education, this shows how uneducated you really are about what is involved. Take plumbing. It is a 2 year course, there you learn all the practical Side, and the theory. The theory and the practical both require a knowledge of maths, chemistry and physics as trust me if you can’t do any other there is no point as you will seriously screw up the plumbing. Do you know the fall for a waste pipe, and the reason behind the very limited fall that be done. Do you know how to get the best pressure and what could cause a drop in pressure? Do you know what will happen when you use certain chemicals, or why copper pipe suddenly springs a leak and ways to prevent this all from happening, do you know how to solder, how much to add and why? I know the answer is no. This is why we train and why plumbers are the most qualified in the building trade and then electricians as you seriously don’t want to screw either of them jobs up.

Then take into account,
insurance…. So many customers wont leave you alone or stay away from you and the work, so we have to insure against their stupidity. Also some people are light fingered, including other tradesmen, customers and joe bloggs just passing by,
membership….. people want tradsmen to be vetted and be members of trustworthy bodies, some trades means it illegal not to be a member.
no sick pay or holiday pay….. we don’t get paid this by employers like you do. As such we have to take this into account when charging people as at some point we will be sick so no work means no money. Other times we have to have a break so we don’t burn out, family want to go on holiday, no work no pay.
your on set hours, we are not. We could be open 9-5 to do repairs and fittings. But then we have to go out and see jobs to quote, write these quotes at home, research items people want, find suppliers and order them. This will add anything from. An hour to 4 hours on average to our day. We also have to do all our other paperwork in our free time. So when you think our day is easy and expensive, it really isn’t. It is long and most of it is unpaid.
you are also paying for year of knowledge and skill in fitting items perfectly so they are neat, they wont leak even when the customer does everything you tell. Them not to.
We have travel expenses, vehicle up keep cost, tool up keep cost.
re training when new rules come in or a new product is launched or new tool is designed. I personally are involved with a tool company with others in my trade. We meet twice a year and help create and perfect new tools to make the jobs easier and better for you so we can keep costs low as we wont be there as much, again this is all done in my own time at a cost to me.
we have office costs to be able to do all this for you, advertising, websites, etc etc none of this is free. Like all business we have to charge for this.

so when you think of how much we charge and that it is expensive and we are uneducated rip off merchants doing work anybody can do, think again. Our pay from you doesn’t mean every penny goes in our pockets, the majority doesn’t.

Back
Top Bottom