Why being an Engineer means nothing in this country

Associate
i think in many cases its about corporate image, companys sending out 'engineers' to homes/businesses to install/fix things sounds better and more professional than plain old titles.

Soldato
This thread makes me :(
Out of interest, how sucsessful/easy is it to get into the financial sector with an engineering degree, am doing aerospace systems, but not enjoying it.
Looking at getting a first class BEng, judging by the work I do, I'd say its quite likely, systems, group project/management, mathematics modelling, all seem relevant.
Plus I do most of girlfriend's Accounting and Finance degree work for her :p
Anyone experience in this?

No. I love my job, I love the work, I love the travelling and the people I work with are down to earth.

KaHn

Soldato
This thread makes me :(
Out of interest, how sucsessful/easy is it to get into the financial sector with an engineering degree, am doing aerospace systems, but not enjoying it.
Looking at getting a first class BEng, judging by the work I do, I'd say its quite likely, systems, group project/management, mathematics modelling, all seem relevant.
Plus I do most of girlfriend's Accounting and Finance degree work for her :p
Anyone experience in this?

Hi mate, I work in Finance for a manufacturing/engineering company, currently i'm learning CIMA also, I did Mech Eng at Warwick, halfway through I thought 'this isnt for me'. Its very good to be an engineer in finance to be honest, the engineer's analytical and problem solving background is well sought after actually more looked up to than people who do business studies or accounting degrees when applying for the financial roles whether in financial services firms or industry. So...yeah! I experienced exactly what you're saying!

Associate
I would miss the people and work, but I can't help thinking theres a lot of money out there for an engineer who turns to finance.
Am working with some graduates from Qinetiq at the moment, and each of them has to do a quantity of time in the financial sector of the company, they all said they won't go into after their induction, as it's boring, but agreably better money.

Soldato
Compact Oxford English Dictionary:

Engineer

• noun 1 a person qualified in engineering. 2 a person who maintains or controls an engine or machine. 3 a person who skilfully originates something.
Stop being so an*l.

Last edited:
Soldato
After reading the entire thread up to now it seems either people support what I am saying or people are calling me an ignorant and bigoted snob who thinks he's knows a thing or two because he’s a graduate.

Although, the opening post of mine may have come down harsh, I still stand by my words. But at the same time I respect all the plumbers, electricians, mechanics because without them the designs will not have been deployed into households. Fair do's.

But all those people arguing otherwise, do you not think a Sky Installation man calling himself an engineer is a bit far fetched? I could just leave it at that and have the last laugh when it comes down to me describing to the Sky man how the satellite transmits and receives data which I would have learnt from Engineering. But, then, when will this stop if people who are unhappy don't act?

Would you honestly call Isambard Kingdom Brunel a technician? No, he was an Engineer. Just like many other people who are working toward that status.

Truth about Sky installation men/women calling themself an engineer is utter rubbish, probably did a months course on how to do the job but I don't really mind if they call themselves a Telebroadcasting engineering technician or whatever they want to be called, If it gets them through life then it's their mindset, what matters is what's their actual job title is on a document.

I had a friend I met a few months ago from High school that I have not seen in quite a few years and he was calling himself a "Lead call technician" I think it was and I knew for a fact he was working at Meca bingo.

As long as I can have a laugh out of site I'm personally ok with it :).

I've currently got to do 3 years to get an NVQ3 so really after all the hardwork I put in I can also call myself whatever I like ;).

Associate
/rant

I also work in highways and am titled as an engineer. Doesn't mean to say I go and fix pot holes all day. There so much more work involved.

We have a saying at work - how do you tell the bridge engineers from the highway engineers, ask them to count up to 20 and see who takes their socks off :D ops

If I am not paying attention and mention part of my job involves safety engineering at road works I get asked if I drive a JCB - no I set the flaming national standards. :rolleyes:

Soldato
This annoys me as well. I much prefer to call them medical practitioners to distinguish the much more demanding Doctorates.

Oh, because doing an original piece of research on some area of art history is SOOO much more difficult than going through all the training a physician goes through!

Soldato
An engineering degree usually lasts 4 years including the Masters year to achieve recognition from the body of Chartered Engineers, CEng. An engineering degree is very demanding and not many people get through to become a chartered engineer. It involves problem solving techniques, heavy mathematics and science principles, such as Physics (Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering), Chemistry (Chemical Engineering) and Biology (Medical Engineering) amongst many other fields. In order to succeed you would need to understand concepts from first principles such as Newtons Laws of Motion and Fluid Viscosity. Bernoulli concepts and electrical laws such as Ohms and Faradays laws. How a capacitor works and how it can analogue real life situations. It also involves thorough research using the most accurate and precise instruments and skills that are not taught over night. Such as CAD programs (AutoCAD), programming software (MatLab), economic value engineering to determine the cost to usefulness ratio.
I’ve also missed a hell of a lot more but you get the message.

So that’s 4 years of hard learning, plus many more years of experience in the industry and you’re still learning some more.

Then a plumber/electrician/boiler man/car mechanic comes a long to your home to fix what ever needs fixing and calls him self an “engineer”.
When something goes wrong, these companies send out “engineers” to fix the problem.

It is now a case that engineers and these “call out helpers” are now categorised in the same league as non/semi-skilled.

Did those people go to university to get a degree? Did those people receive recognition (not that it even means anything any more)?

When was the last time a plumber/electrician/boiler man/car mechanic used the Euler Buckling Theory to design a bridge that will span the Severn River?

:mad:

Stop getting your panties in a twist. The newly qualified civil engineers in our firm need constant supervision from the older, mostly unqualified guys that seen and done it all before. Being an engineer does not magically make you the last bastion of knowledge and pure talent. Granted, more doors will open, I'm just not always sure it's a good idea judging by the things I've seen 'proper engineers' do on site.

Soldato
I could just leave it at that and have the last laugh when it comes down to me describing to the Sky man how the satellite transmits and receives data which I would have learnt from Engineering.

A quick read through Wikipedia can grant him the same knowledge. Then still, nobody has proved a thing. It's in the real world out on the real projects where things count. I've seen some utterly brilliant qualified engineers and some utterly awesome unqualified engineers. It's pure talent, intellect and experience that count, not what you read in a book.

Soldato
As i say, the title means nothing, why do you even care? If you are a chartered engineer use it to forward your lifestyle as i assume thats why you did it. Good for you etc, stop getting upset about it :)

You do realise chartership is not a route to a lot of money, no doubt helped by the many semi-skilled trades that have the engineer title used diluting the perception of an Engineers price in the relevant skilled/professional industries.

Associate
Hehe, I know many engineers who started out as unqualified technicians, they are more qualified for their job than any graduate even with masters.

Most of the new graduates at our place I wouldn't trust to tie their own shoelaces.

As another poster said its all about some knowledge and experience, the theoretical side of things is great but some common sense needs to be applied.

I usually look on the really good engineers as the ones who can make a complex subject easy for a layman to uderstand.

Not some spod delivering a textbook answer that they dont really understand themselves.

Back
Top Bottom