Why did you go Linux?

Soldato
When I did A-Level CompSci (1996 exam), I did it on an Archimedes (although my DB prog was actually written on a BBC Master, and ported over, cos I did it all at home :D). If at A level you are limited to a certain software brand or even architecture, then complain.

Permabanned
Cool. I used to have a BBC Micro :) Thats where I started learning BASIC, I could make it play a tune when I was 8 (I was WELL pleased)

I'll make sure that I am allowed to a do a decent project, what did you lot do?

Shak

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Shak
You going there mate?

My sister goes there at the moment, and I reckon it sounds ace.

Also Andy, the sysadmin there is on the LUG mailing list.

@Mpemba: Didnt know M$ had been putting money into education only to leech it back through software charges.

Shak

I don't know if they fund any more but I think it's the original syllabuses, training etc was funded by MS and to set the standard.

Associate
Originally posted by Nozzer
I wouldn't know, I was never offered computing based courses at A-Level, come university you will do a lot more programming rather than messing around with things.

Linux is pretty much useless for College work, on my course we had to do Visual Basic programming in Excel & Access. We also had to use Borland Delphi, which can now be run under Kylix I understand.

It's much more appropriate for University stuff where you work with languages more than specific applications. I'm now in my second year of University and practically all of the stuff I've covered could be done in Linux, like Java, C/C++ & OpenGL programming. There was still one part of a module which required MS Access though!

Permabanned
I been looking at the Cambridge prospectus, it seems that there you can choose the modules that you do. Is that not the same in every Uni?

And also, why is it SPECIFICALLY Access? Surely being able to do SQL is better?

Shak

Soldato
Cool. I used to have a BBC Micro :) Thats where I started learning BASIC, I could make it play a tune when I was 8 (I was WELL pleased)

I'll make sure that I am allowed to a do a decent project, what did you lot do?

Shak

nothin exciting. I did a custom databse of chemical stocks and hazards etc. for a school science department. Cross linked, bubble sort and all that rubbish. Oh and it had to fit on a floppy :D Was VERY efficient code...

Associate
I been looking at the Cambridge prospectus, it seems that there you can choose the modules that you do. Is that not the same in every Uni?

And also, why is it SPECIFICALLY Access? Surely being able to do SQL is better?

Shak

With the course I'm on the first year is set, then you can choose some modules for the 2nd & 3rd years.

The module I did Access in was in the first year, it was about Information Systems. As well as learning about simple analysis and design we had to create a DB for coursework.

The problem is there are so many people on the course with different levels of experience they have to teach from the basics in Access and go from there. We were not supposed to use VB code at all, you would be surprised what they teach you sometimes!

Associate
So the coursework wasnt specifically set in Access?

If there's a choice, I dont mind, but if its forced. Im annoyed.

Shak

If that reply was meant for me, then yes it was set specifically in Access.

Associate
looks like Ill be challenging that one.

Can't see them changing a course just for you somehow!

Look on the bright side, at least you will know it all and be able to get full marks :) , not that it matters in the first year!

Man of Honour
Sorry to get the thread back onto track. I'm not a Linux user quite yet but keep meaning to try it. I'm also about to take the plunge and give it a go as dual boot on my main machine and then on a cut down version on a router project.

But the reasons why I'll probably be trying it are:

1) Cost. It's just getting too expensive to keep up with Microsoft. To be honest all the recent additions to Windows have just been glossy bits or have made it harder to use (W2K was the best OS from them I'd suggest - XP went overboard).

2) I've always been quite a techy so ease of use isn't quite so much of an issue for me.

3) The XP activation really annoyed me. I don't mind MS doing it as I understand why. But to force me to reactivate the thing (with a limited number of lives) when I rebuild the machine regularly drives me up the wall.

4) If people don't try other OS's then MS will be able to do whatever they like. Competition is vital and if people like ourselves (fairly technology aware and capable people) don't make a stand then what chance of less experienced people making the move? Until Linux gets a string following (which I feel it is starting to) then software producers will ignore it.

The one thing I don't seem to be able to do with Linux that I can with Windows is run all the games I play. But for now I can go back to W2K and move to Linux for other stuff.

Now if only I can get the thing installed :D

Back
Top Bottom