Why Do I Have To Support Arsenal

Soldato
Oooh, touchy subject this. Are genuine supporters only those that go to games and put money into the club? Don't think so.

Supporter
=======
someone who goes to watch their games at Stadiums, someone who puts money into the club and someone who likes the club no matter what.

Follower
======
someone who never goes to a game but watches them frequently on the tv and the likes the pretty football that they play.

Associate
Yeh success can unfortunatly be fleeting. 5th one season, relegated the next :( Can't see that happening to Arsenal somehow though ;) (if i remember my useless facts correctly Arsenal during their entire history have never been relegated)

As for followers/supporters. There are unfortunatly often factors that are oputside the control of the fan. Take me for instance. Over the last 4 years i have either been at Univeristy 200 miles away from Ipswich or in Germany. This has made it almost impossible to go to games. The only games i do get to go to are during christmas when i'm at home. Does this make me any less of a fan? how about some-one that had to move a long way from the club due to family or job needs. They then live too far away to go often does this make them any less of a fan?

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Afterlife
Supporter
=======
someone who goes to watch their games at Stadiums, someone who puts money into the club and someone who likes the club no matter what.

Follower
======
someone who never goes to a game but watches them frequently on the tv and the likes the pretty football that they play.

Sorry but imo this is complete buttock ;)

Soldato
Personally I don't really like the distinction between follower & supporter. Imo by definition along surely those who go & see their teams are followers as they follow them around.

I would love to go see Spurs play but for a combination of reasons I cannot atm. That doesn't mean I watch them for the 'pretty football'. By the definition you have for follower everyone would 'follow' Man U/Arsenal/Real & Brazil as why would anyone chose to support another?

I support my club through thick & thin as is obvious from all of my posts here yet they so far have recieved very little money from me. However I would place myself firmly in the 'supporter' category as I give them MY Support & would love to be able to get to games. A 'follower' imo is someone who occassionally watches games when a club is doing well & has very little clue about their own club such as an inability to name more than a starting 11, who they are playing next etc.

Soldato
really so what does a follower do to support the club and the team?

Aaaargh I hate this so much.

Some people, like myself, would love to go see their team play week in week out, but sometimes its just not possible! I live in Manchester, almost the other side of the country from Southampton. Otherwise, I would get a season ticket. When they come to play a team up north which is within a reasonable distance from me, I will try and get a ticket.

You don't have to be a season ticket holder to be a supporter :rolleyes:

Supporter in a thesaurus.........

follower, fan, backer, enthusiast

So a supporter IS a follower. So I guess that makes you just a follower too :rolleyes: :p

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Rotty
And just a guess but do you have to PAY to join this scheme ? ;) :p

Obviously, otherwise you'd get people joining, just in case they felt like going once a season.

I think you pay a tenner to join, then get £1 off each ticket you buy, up to the £10 that is.:)

Originally posted by Andi
It's alright kev, next season's back to mid table. Anyone remember Blackburn?

You wish that would happen, but you know damn well it won't.;)

Soldato
no it doesnt make you any less of a fan.

but there is a difference between a supporter and a follower. Out of curiosity, how many of my fellow Man U fans on here have actually been to see the boys?

I agree with you to some extent Afterlife, i have a season ticket and it was me that offered the Cup games to all of you, but i knew i'd get a mixed reaction. At the end of the day i see supporters of clubs going to the games when there team is relegated for sure. There are so many loyal supporters that cant goto the games, its not that they dont want to. For a team like Arsenal and Man U you have to be real lucky to be able to go.

Don
Originally posted by Big Kev
Obviously, otherwise you'd get people joining, just in case they felt like going once a season.

I think you pay a tenner to join, then get £1 off each ticket you buy, up to the £10 that is.:)

Our equivalent is about 30 quid to join and guess how much you get off each ticket , about a quid less than you do :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Supporter
=======

Follower
======

well said that man :)

you can't call yourself a supporter if you don't go to games - you don't SUPPORT the team, do you? :) obviously everybody will disagree because only a few people here have season tickets, but that's what i think :/

Man of Honour
I still class myself as a Chelsea supporter. I used to go home & away all the time in the late 80s earlies 90s when money wasn't an object. Nowadays with all the added expenditure of being a grown up:eek: I'm lucky if I can afford to go 3-4 times a season. I still support them though as far as I'm concerned.

Soldato
you dont have to be a season ticket holder to be genuine supporter, just go to see the team on a regular basis. Your not supporting a team till your there in the flesh vocalling roaring them on.

Unfortuntely there seems to be a lot of arm chair supporters on here who think screaming at the tele classes as being a supporter :rolleyes:

Obviously thoughs that would be attending if it wasnt for more vital commitments like education have an excuse for not being there but the others dont. They ARE followers who admire a team. There is big difference.

The truth hurts.

Man of Honour
I'd love to go on a regular basis, but genuinely can't afford the £50+ it costs me for the day out. I go to Brentford a lot, basically because it costs me zilch to get in, I can get tickets to Chelsea just as easily (but have to pay) & have the time & inclination to go & I'd much rather be there than at Griffin Park:p

Soldato
no it doesnt make you any less of a fan.

but there is a difference between a supporter and a follower. Out of curiosity, how many of my fellow Man U fans on here have actually been to see the boys?

ticket.jpg

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :D :D :D

Soldato
you dont have to be a season ticket holder to be genuine supporter, just go to see the team on a regular basis. Your not supporting a team till your there in the flesh vocalling roaring them on.

Unfortuntely there seems to be a lot of arm chair supporters on here who think screaming at the tele classes as being a supporter :rolleyes:

Obviously thoughs that would be attending if it wasnt for more vital commitments like education have an excuse for not being there but the others dont. They ARE followers who admire a team. There is big difference.

The truth hurts.

I am actually kinda surprised by this from you :confused: :(

Soldato

The truth hurts.

so the people who have tried to get tickets but couldnt are not true supporters?

I wonder about those people who walk out of matches early when their team are doing poor are they proper supporters as well?

What about the fans who go to matches but when their team is doing bad they stop e.g. sunderland are they proper supporters as well?

Dont worry about it cem most of these people who go to matches like to think of themselves as special fans or something. There are many reasons why people cant get to matches but that doesnt matter does it

xgfunk

X

xgfunk

go to about 3 - 4 games a season. mostly european as thats when i get the chance to get tickets. and i live 250 miles away heh :D not always easy.

but id disagree, you dont have to go watch them and spend a shed load of money to call yourself a supporter. thats utter crap imo :)

Back
Top Bottom