Why do I keep being told to watch out for issues with AMD?

Associate
Hi there,

I'm looking to potentially purchase the "Citizen Gaming PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 + RX 590 8GB + 8/16gb RAM)" and I'm very happy with the performance and the price point, but the few people I've run this past have said to watch out with game stutter, some games just won't run on AMD products, it's not optimised etc etc etc.

Is this a load of nonsense? I did a quick google search for solutions to those issues which came out to be increase the power supply, the ram or update drivers (all things I'm quite comfortable doing with and troubleshooting in the future if needs be - I just need something to work out of the box before my crotchety old set up bites the dust and I've not the time or space to build from scratch). I've always used Intel before so this perceived "bad press" just makes me anxious before making the switch.

Any feedback welcome!

Permabanned
Hi!

Hi there,

I'm looking to potentially purchase the "Citizen Gaming PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 + RX 590 8GB + 8/16gb RAM)" and I'm very happy with the performance and the price point, but the few people I've run this past have said to watch out with game stutter, some games just won't run on AMD products, it's not optimised etc etc etc.

Is this a load of nonsense? I did a quick google search for solutions to those issues which came out to be increase the power supply, the ram or update drivers (all things I'm quite comfortable doing with and troubleshooting in the future if needs be - I just need something to work out of the box before my crotchety old set up bites the dust and I've not the time or space to build from scratch). I've always used Intel before so this perceived "bad press" just makes me anxious before making the switch.

Any feedback welcome!

Yes, this is a truck load of nonsense.

Soldato
Hi there,

Any feedback welcome!
Whoever told you that was talking out their backside.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there,

Any feedback welcome!
Hi and welcome to the forums. These people you’ve run it past - show them this thread then tell them to **** off! :p

They are morons. Tell em big bad kwango says so.

Permabanned

Game micro-stutter, people with intel i5 and i7 6-th generation and older see because these processors have insufficient number of threads.

Soldato
Game micro-stutter, people with intel i5 and i7 6-th generation and older see because these processors have insufficient number of threads.

just as your friend mentioned about AMD right above there with intel....
poeples views and opinions . as no two systems are 100% a like, you can find very small issues with ANY intel or AMD system , as well as AMD and Nvidia cards .

the above system you've been looking at will be just fine for a nice gaming system with a nice saving and free games thrown in .

most of gaming problems rely in ... programming either the game/its engine or drivers :)

Caporegime
AMD used to have a reputation for poor drivers that caused very strange issues in some games but this is a decade or more ago and you'll generally find very few issues these days. There are still plenty of Intel Shills and believers out there but if I were building a system now I'd be more than happy to go for a Ryzen build.

Associate
I had issues with a 2700x setup with stuttering / low frame rates in some games.

I had no stuttering issues with the 1700 before though in the same setup. One of the games I play (League of Legends) had low fps compared to Intel, so I would say that there at least were titles out there where performance was significantly different.

Soldato
Hi there,

Any feedback welcome!

I've just moved to Ryzen from Intel and had a few issues, ram wouldn't run at the correct frequency (3200mhz) was also unstable when stress testing and kept restarting, BIOS update sorted both though and it's been flawless since.

Man of Honour
I had issues with a 2700x setup with stuttering / low frame rates in some games.

I had no stuttering issues with the 1700 before though in the same setup. One of the games I play (League of Legends) had low fps compared to Intel, so I would say that there at least were titles out there where performance was significantly different.

Funny had the opposite experience here - built a few 1700, etc. systems for people and had some RAM compatibility issues and some random performance issues - slow booting OS, inconsistent performance in games (solved in one case by RMA so almost certainly an issue specific to that individual processor in that instance) but the more recent 2600 systems I've built have been completely problem free and smooth.

Man of Honour
Funny had the opposite experience here - built a few 1700, etc. systems for people and had some RAM compatibility issues and some random performance issues - slow booting OS, inconsistent performance in games (solved in one case by RMA so almost certainly an issue specific to that individual processor in that instance) but the more recent 2600 systems I've built have been completely problem free and smooth.
My experience is different again, I've built an 1800X system, a 2700X system and now a 1920X system and all have worked perfectly, though I've been careful to always use Samsung B-Die RAM :)

Associate
My experience is different again, I've built an 1800X system, a 2700X system and now a 1920X system and all have worked perfectly, though I've been careful to always use Samsung B-Die RAM :)

Yeah well I have read that amd processors could have issues with hynix ram, which is why for more then one reason I would pick and always use Samsung b die ram so yeah which is also called 8 pack ram.

Permabanned

Have you resolved the issues and how?

Associate
I switched from Intel/Nvidia to an AMD Ryzen/Vega system for cost effectiveness and upgradeability (AMD don't change their socket designs as much as Intel) and I've not been disappointed. There were some RAM compatibility issues on Ryzen's initial release but the platform has matured a lot since then. My system performs flawlessly.

Associate

I think fair to say that the platform is matured a fair bit since original launch. You can see where the OPs friends comment has originated from IMO from my personal experience and knowing the issues surrounding the platform with compatibility etc at launch.
Have you resolved the issues and how?

Yes but I had to buy an 8700k & Asus motherboard, I couldn't waste any more time on the platform to be honest. The FPS in league is now 3-400fps if I uncap it @ 3440x1440 - appreciate league isn't a good example but it is a game I had real issues with on Ryzen.

I primarily notice that there are now no cold boot issues, RAM runs at 4000 vs 3200, one of the biggest changes I notice is when I turn it on the machine posts almost instantly, whereas with the Ryzen there was quite a large delay and it would often boot cycle 3-4 times even at stock when memory timing. I had the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, and the Intel equiv when I changed, so I didn't skimp on anything.

I imagine bios updates have resolved most if not all of the issues by now, and ram selection is now well understood by most.

Permabanned
Yes but I had to buy an 8700k & Asus motherboard, I couldn't waste any more time on the platform to be honest. The FPS in league is now 3-400fps if I uncap it @ 3440x1440 - appreciate league isn't a good example but it is a game I had real issues with on Ryzen.

I primarily notice that there are now no cold boot issues, RAM runs at 4000 vs 3200, one of the biggest changes I notice is when I turn it on the machine posts almost instantly, whereas with the Ryzen there was quite a large delay and it would often boot cycle 3-4 times even at stock when memory timing. I had the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, and the Intel equiv when I changed, so I didn't skimp on anything.

I imagine bios updates have resolved most if not all of the issues by now, and ram selection is now well understood by most.

So, you fixed nothing. You had complaints which you kind of fixed by jumping the ship off...

Back
Top Bottom