Why do most shops open 9 till 5

G J

G J

Associate
Cant wait for all the people wanting Sunday to be just another day, give it a while and your workplace will also treat this the same and before you know it some of you wont be working Mon - Fri but like other sectors like retail etc you'll be working over the weekends.

Unless you're working 24/7 I call BS that one cant get to the shops Monday to Saturday 9-5 and Sunday 10-4.

Soldato
I dunno when I take the odd mid week day off I’m flabbergasted by how busy the city centres are. I’m always wondering who these people are and why I haven’t got the shops to myself.

Caporegime
I wouldn't be surprised if this is one the big reasons why there dying as people like myself that work 7am till 6pm have no choice but to order most are stuff off the internet as shops are close outside are working hours

Maybe am wrong but ain't there far more people that work 8am or 9am till 5pm then any other time

All the shopping centres. Independent corner shops. Open from early til late.

The reason why shops are dying because all of their market has been taken over by supermarkets and Amazon who use economies of scale to kill them off.

Essentially price is king. It's why China is so rich. Chinese people are buying up property everywhere because they have all the money because we buy most of our stuff off them because they are the cheapest.

Most shops sell generic crap you can buy in asda, amazon or Primark for cheaper.

Shops open 9 til 5 is because they also open weekends and late on Thursdays. If you work 9 til 5 you can go on a Thursday or the weekend. A lot of their weekday customers will be students or people who are on their lunch breaks, tourists, etc. There is no need for them to open late every day.

Caporegime
Absolutely no need for shops to adjust opening times just to appease the few, use technology and shop online, and don't find reasons to go into the bank, if you need to pay cheques in, tell your customers to stop being so antiquated or scan the cheques in using the app.

Soldato
It is tradition in a way as people expect shops to be open 9 - 6 on average so unless a shop advertises its later hours successfully footfall will be low.

Its different for food retail and in city centres but if I wanted something from town I wouldn't bother going after 6 as I'd expect places to be closed. The shop owner see's that town is quite after 6 so no point opening.

Add on all the other factors like extra costs for additional staff or having to hire new staff that can do the later hours. For many independents they are the staff and dont want to work late or have other commitments.

It is odd, especially banks but personally I hate working shifts that get in the way of an evening meal so I dont blame shop owners for wanting to get home.

Man of Honour
The best one is shops that are open 9-5 Mon-Fri and don't open at all at weekends.

They might as well not exist (for me).

A lot of people these days don't just work Mon-Fri as well - my days off more commonly fall on a mon-thurs - I can't even remember the last time I had a full weekend off :(

Soldato
Also people work different shift patterns, or 12 hour shifts 4 days a week, rotating days off etc and therefore can shop on day time hours. Not everyone works 9-5 mon-fri.

Soldato
I must be lucky living in a city as I can only think of 1 shop that opens 9-5. Its a local hardware shop that clearly makes most of its business from local tradesmen and the large population of retirees nearby.

Other than that, every shop I can think of is open at least 8-6, most are open until 8pm.

When I worked at Asda during uni, it was always much busier than I imagined during 9-5. There are still large parts of the UK where women typically don't work or work more flexible hours around childcare so still do the shop on a weekday morning / afternoon.

Soldato
Also people work different shift patterns, or 12 hour shifts 4 days a week, rotating days off etc and therefore can shop on day time hours. Not everyone works 9-5 mon-fri.

i think the expectation is that the overwhelming majority of workers in this country work 9-5 or something that practically approaches it when you factor in things like commutes etc.

Absolutely no need for shops to adjust opening times just to appease the few, use technology and shop online

i think using technology and shopping online is what everyone is doing, except "it's killing the high street"

there are some things it's better to have physical stores to go in and browse, clothing being a clear example.

Caporegime
Wouldn't make a difference to m .

Shops are just too much a hassle to get to.

Sunday normal hours would be better. But they're are a lot open on Sunday now

Soldato
For those who are retired or on holiday, why the hell would you want to be up at sparrow's fart to be in town for 9AM? Allow the workers to get to work first and the kids into school, then those with free time can swan into town after everyone is in work/school. The pubs can still open at 11AM as usual

If I'm retired or on holiday ideally I'm not gonna be basing my day around other peoples work/life!

never realised there was actual laws in England/Wales for shops trading on a Sunday...does that include supermarkets? no 24/7 Tesco etc?

Soldato
If I'm retired or on holiday ideally I'm not gonna be basing my day around other peoples work/life!

never realised there was actual laws in England/Wales for shops trading on a Sunday...does that include supermarkets? no 24/7 Tesco etc?
Yes, they can only trade for 6 hours between 10am and 6pm. You do get supermarkets and places opening earlier for browsing, but they can't take money before 10am.

I lived in Bavaria which is super Catholic for 5 years, and supermarkets used to only be open until midday on Saturday, and then shut until Monday. Not the best when you've got a weekend German beer hangover and need to get your shopping :D. I think they can open later on Saturday now.

Back
Top Bottom