Why do most shops open 9 till 5

Soldato
Maybe just maybe it might be feasible for companies to open outside of core hours. Create some extra jobs and economy might go back into recovery once the virus slows down.

I’ve just had a push notification from news that the government is now back tracking and telling people to work from home again and not to go into work.

haven’t thought about the downsides of it though I don’t think I can actually see any.

They do some delivery companies. I have had delivers at night before.
Iva had stuff delivered from Amazon on a Sunday which is pretty good imo. Think it was either Hermes or yodel.

Soldato
I agree, i think the world should revolve around what's best for my schedule.

If high street retail wants more custom then it needs to be available when most people are not at work, i can't go into our local town centre as it's all closed when i'm off work, i'm not going to book time off for it so I get my stuff from the retail parks that close at 8 or online.

The odd time I do go through the town centre in the day it's full of pensioners, homeless & druggies.

Soldato
I’ve just had a push notification from news that the government is now back tracking and telling people to work from home again and not to go into work.

haven’t thought about the downsides of it though I don’t think I can actually see any.

The only downsides will be the "micro-economy" that's created around office environments. Things like coffee shops, sandwich bars, dry cleaners etc. They were all begging the government only a few weeks ago to start recommending people return to the office so that would generate some footfall and put some money into those businesses.

It sounds like the next "phase" of WFH could potentially last until the end of the year, which wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these types of business close up shop.

It's always a tough one, there will be plenty of demand once things start to return to normality, but these business owners need to be able to somehow pause their finances so they're not continuing to rack up debt (rent/rates etc) whilst the business is closed.

Permabanned
Not all businesses can work from home though only the likes of office workers and people who isn’t dealing with stock as such or drivers of some sort.

mall they had to do is sort a list out of who could possibly manage to work from home and who can’t.

Soldato
Thursday is late opening night here and the shops are always dead, doubt it’s worth their while straying away from 9-5
Folk just want to go home after work, not **** about in shops, supermarkets being the exception, for essentials

Soldato
Without wishing to start anything, maybe some shop workers work on Sundays and Bank Holidays for extra pay and possibly days off in lieu, and yes, I’m aware that a lot of big stores pay the same rate no matter which day you work.

You answered your own question there. Not many retailers pay extra for Sunday/Bank Holiday now and you don't get extra days off in lieu for working them either. E.g. if you work 5 out of 7 days a week then you will work 5 days a week regardless.

Man of Honour
Maybe i wrong on this but i always thought if i owned a shop i open something like 2pm till 9pm as most people can't get to shops that open 9 till 5 as there working

Tradition.
Even if I go back to when I was very young most women didn't work so did the shopping during the day and made sure the husband's tea was ready when he got in from work.
I can still remember back in the 70s a shop owned by friends who were Asian opening until 8pm and it was controversial at the time.
You couldn't buy anything on a Sunday and football wasn't allowed on TV on a Sunday. I still think it's strange when I see shops and petrol stations open on a Sunday.
The vast majority of jobs were 9 til 5 hence the song and other songs like Working For The Weekend, people now work any time any day.

Soldato
OP
You couldn't buy anything on a Sunday and football wasn't allowed on TV on a Sunday. I still think it's strange when I see shops and petrol stations open on a Sunday.
I still remember moaning all the time because garages and most shops & places were closed on a sunday

But these days i really miss Sunday being that very special day were most places were closed....Now it mainly feels just like another normal day :(:(:(

That saying comes to mind "You don't realise what you had till it gone"

Soldato
I still remember moaning all the time because garages and most shops & places were closed on a sunday

But these days i really miss Sunday being that very special day were most places were closed....Now it mainly feels just like another normal day :(:(:(
But it is:p. I treat Sundays the same as a Saturday, its no different at all.

Man of Honour
To me it's really strange that people go out to work on a Saturday and Sunday as though it's just a normal day.
I always remember when they started 'Continental shifts' at the Michelin in the 70s, workers nearly shot themselves.
You were 4 on and 4 off but also with days, evenings and nights thrown in the mix, it shook a lot of people and probably still happens now. Well actually I still know it happens.

Soldato
Guess what? People want some time off to spend with their families.

1) But shop workers should work all the hours? (The point of this thread)

2) I honestly think that's a terrible argument for why a delivery company couldn't have weekend and evening deliveries as options. For one, no-one said they had to work more hours, just different hours.

Do they? I've had plenty of parcels delivered after 5pm, i'm pretty certain Amazon's couriers work until 9pm/10pm.

To be fair, I said delivery companies. Saying Amazon is a delivery company is probably selling them a bit short. PDP, UPS, UKMail, DHL, myHermes are all delivery companies. With most, it costs more for weekends and evenings aren't even an option.

Soldato
OP
Over here in guernsey whenever there a job going for working in the shop on a garage forecourt for evening work there loads of people that apply for them jobs....
Loads of people here have 2 jobs (Full time & a part time job)

Maybe it different in England and people there no want to work in the evening or it just much cheaper to live in england so you no need to work so many hours ..:confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tradition? up until the age of electricity and street lighting people probably didn't like to do their outdoor activities/shopping in the (pitch black) dark.

Man of Honour

2) I honestly think that's a terrible argument for why a delivery company couldn't have weekend and evening deliveries as options. For one, no-one said they had to work more hours, just different hours.

To be fair, I said delivery companies. Saying Amazon is a delivery company is probably selling them a bit short. PDP, UPS, UKMail, DHL, myHermes are all delivery companies. With most, it costs more for weekends and evenings aren't even an option.

I would say the demand isn't there - but since this whole coronavirus thing trends are changing and I'm seeing a lot more fulfilment for orders outside of normal times.

Soldato
Do you think its better at night?

Just replace pensioners with teenage druggies...

Whether it's better at night is irrelevant, the point is that if you want to be selling goods out of your retail outlet then you need people with an income to pay a visit, many of whom are unfortunately at work whilst you are open.

If I needed a pair of Jeans, i wouldn't go into town as i'll have to wait until Saturday as everything is closed when I finish work at 5. I'd order it online or drive to the retail park 11 miles away after work, then I can have it today or tomorrow at worst. In fact I did this last week, I needed an SSD to sort out my dads PC as his had failed, there are 2 independent computer shops in town, both close at 5 so I drove to a large national chain outside of town & had one that night, i'd have had to use half a days annual leave to go into town.

Back
Top Bottom