Why do new things as not built as good as older ones?

Soldato
my Nokia 3510i is a superb mobile, its been dropped on the floor numerous times, its been thrown around, and even dunked in a pint of beer! and it stil works fine after 2-3 years.

My work mates samsung D500 after 12 months was wrecked and he says he took pretty good care of it lol.

Associate
I hate it when companies "improve" their software, but make it so full of crap that the basic functions aren't very good anymore.

Take Adobe, and Adobe audition... it was a great program before adobe bought it of the company that made it originally!

Now it has loads of lame features, that makes it less simple to do quick recordings etc. Also it clogs up the cpu to no end.

I would use the old version of the software, but thats stopped working on my laptop, infact most audio programs randomly don't work anymore... for really weird reasons.

Damn Acer laptops

Soldato
It's happening with houses aswell, imo the new simplistic look of the new buildings just looks really bad... And theyre built quickly to accomodate all the new people

Soldato
divosuk said:
And the Shuttle PCs that are slowly taking over the world were designed in Taiwan - machined in China and then then returned to Taiwan for assembly. And they are far from rubbish in my opinion - my shuttle PCs have been the best desktop units I have ever owned.

I'm a fellow Shuttle owner and the build quality is very good but you can't deny you pay a premium for it. My ST20G5 was in the region of 250 notes, for a metal chassis, psu, cpu cooler and mainboard.

Suspended
If you wan't quality you have to pay for it, good build quality still exsists all around us; Lian-Li cases, Seamaster watches, Good jewelry, etc etc etc. Theres a premium segment to every market.

If you want a washing machine thats awesome and built to last - you have to pay for it.

sfx

sfx

Associate
I do not think it is a cost cutting thing, well it is but not in the way you might think. People do not want to pay 'high' prices for goods so manufactures have to cut costs so they can market their goods at a price people are happy with.

If you want good stuff you need to goto decent manufactures, i.e. if you want a rock solid washing machine then a Miele is the way to go.

My thoughts on this anyway. :)

sfx

Suspended
I disagree with the nokia comment, my 6230 was just as sturdy as my 3210, and my 8800 is more solid than both combined. But when it comes to sony, the old headphones have always lasted longer than the newer ones, got a nw-hd1 about 2 years back, they came with a sealed pair of old model headphones, and a sealed pair of new model headphones, the old ones are still working fine to this day, whereas the new ones broke within a week

Soldato
wozzizname said:
Sometimes the early versions of things are much better made - my parents still use a microwave that is over 20 years old and still going strong, as it's built like a tank. The early DVD players and VHS machines all had good solid metal chassis, were built to last,and could be repaired if they went wrong most stuff now is designed to be used for a couple of years then thrown away
Our sharp microwave was 26 years old when we decided to retire it.
It just didnt heat stuff up quickly like the one in our office.

Soldato
Nintendo still make indestructible products. I saw one person chuck a GameCube out of a car window then drag it for miles then when he got it home and set it up to see if it still work and guess what, it did. :cool:

Soldato
crashuk said:
dont buy made in china.

That may be slightly difficult nowadays.

But the problem with products made now (regardless of where they are made) is the lack of quality control used.

Where I used to work only 5% of products which went out to consumers were tested so there is the possibility that the other 95% may have defects. Unlikely I know but not impossible.

Plus items today are made to a budget to sueeze as much profit as possible to keep the share holders happy.

Associate
so many grammatical mistakes.

anyhow, perhaps 'cause there are more cost pressures & products are no longer required to have such a long life cycle (technology is becoming obsolete faster.)

Permabanned
jamoor said:
Our sharp microwave was 26 years old when we decided to retire it.
It just didnt heat stuff up quickly like the one in our office.

Did we have domestic microwaves 26 years ago? I hope you had a radiation meter with it at that age, horrid things.

Back
Top Bottom