Why do people feel the need to wear clothing with huge logos on them?

Soldato
I have quite a lot of t-shirts with large logos on them saying things like Metallica, Slipknot, Nirvana, Black Sabbath etc. Does this make me a chav too? Or is only certain logos/brands that get classed as chav? Any chance of sharing the list of what is and isn't chav?

Chav is a state of mind. If you feel chav, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Band shirts included.

Soldato
I have quite a lot of t-shirts with large logos on them saying things like Metallica, Slipknot, Nirvana, Black Sabbath etc. Does this make me a chav too? Or is only certain logos/brands that get classed as chav? Any chance of sharing the list of what is and isn't chav?

Any large obnoxious logo that you are wearing in order to appear to have money would make you chavy, it's low class really. A Metallica t-shirt obviously doesn't count

Soldato
Quite often items of clothing with names and logos of expensive designer brands that are large and tacky are fake. Most of the genuine items would have suttle branding if any at all.

Obviously there are exceptions.

Soldato
Nothing screams chav more than seeing someone walking around in clothing with HUGE TEXT on saying "RALPH LAUREN", "CK", "Louis Vutton" etc....

Do they like being walking billboards? Like what happened to being subtle, do people honestly think this stuff looks good lol? Why do people feel the need to advertise that they are wearing "RALPH LAUREN" or what ever else?

I don't know. Probably for the same reasons that people care about what wheels go on their crappy BMW.

Soldato
Doesn't bother me, I was in sports direct and they were doing 2 t-shirts for £15 so I got one with Just do it Nike logo all over the front and one with Adidas. They're just t-shirts and they were cheap. Equally I wear plain t-shirts quite happily. Don't see the fuss, I'm not looking at someone's t-shirt and judging them.

Man of Honour
Nothing screams chav more than seeing someone walking around in clothing with HUGE TEXT on saying "RALPH LAUREN", "CK", "Louis Vutton" etc....

Do they like being walking billboards? Like what happened to being subtle, do people honestly think this stuff looks good lol? Why do people feel the need to advertise that they are wearing "RALPH LAUREN" or what ever else?

Cults. Seriously. Cults (successful ones, anyway) are essentially about marketing. So companies marketing a brand can use the same techniques as cults, and do so. They may need to dress the technqiues up a bit for public consumption, but that's all. There's even a book for advertisers that's explicitly a guide on how to apply cult-making technques to marketing a brand. How else can you sell a £5 T-shirt for £50 or a £20 handbag for £1000 or a £50 watch for £5000? That level of markup requires cult mentality.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
For the same reason rich folk buy Christian Loubouton shoes, to appear wealthier than their peers.

The cheaper clothes generally have huge logos, the more expensive have subtle branding.

Most big logo clothes you see are fakes, too.

Question, what's the most expensive item of clothing you have bought?

Soldato
Ah, the irony of someone who chose AlphaMale as an online moniker and then chastises a lack of subtlety in how people portray themselves.

Despite that, I do agree. Luxury fashion brands do well out of the window of aspirational purchasers willing to plaster themselves in logos. The truly wealthy buy yachts and planes.

Associate
It was a fashion trend about 20 years ago when everyone wore TShirts with D&G or Ralph Lauren etc. on them. That faded and people started wearing clothes with little branding on. Looks like it's gone full circle again.

Soldato
I like a small logos on clothing, but big ones is a pet peeve as well. Really don't see the point and tends to be enough to put me off buying something I initially liked. Polo is one of the worse offenders for this as the tiny little horse, I like, but it kept increasing in size and just looks ugly in pieces which have it taking up half the shirt.

Tommy Hilfiger is also guilty of just having their name emblazoned across items, rather than just a small little logo sometimes which I like the look of.

Back
Top Bottom