1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does my engine sound like a lawnmower?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Wryel, 9 May 2006.

1. Wryel

Wise Guy

I'm getting that sound like a lawnmower or a really old car when accelerating - its fine at a constant speed. It seems to have started happening after the clutch was changed - is there anything I can do about it? Sorry to be so vague...

2. Nathan

Mobster

tappets? *** sort of noise is it?

3. robjf

Mobster

Knackered airbox/filter?

4. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Crappy small displacement 4 cylinder engine?

5. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

My mate had this problem when the exhaust pipe detached itself from whatever part of the engine it runs into. Car sounded awesome though for a little Fiesta :D

6. csmager

Soldato

:D

7. MrMatteh

Wise Guy

mine does this :(

i have a cracked manifold though. you could be lucky and just have a cracked exhaust, fairly simple/cheap to repair

8. 4T5

Man of Honour

You say you have had a recent clutch change. Did they replace the thrust bearing.
    Put your hand on top of your gear stick as you accelerate and feel for a slight rattle that goes with the noise.

Or Exhaust, Put foot over tailpipe. Car should splutter and muffle right down.
    Or pipe off airbox Lift bonnet look.
    Or No Oil. Check level.

Also check the shroud around the gearstick assembly. Make sure it has been refitted properly.

9. Wryel

Wise Guy

Thanks guys, I'll have a look. The exaust is new and the noise definitely is from the engine.

Crappy 406 1.8 btw.

10. SgtTupac

PermaBanned

Crap car, buy a BMW, will never break down and youll be the best driver in the world.

11. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

See that shouldn't sound lawnmower like - I thought it was a 1.2 Corsa or something.

12. Phantom

Sgarrista

aww, i associate lawnmower sounds with 1-1.2 litre engine cars. would have suggested you check to see if you had a bee or small rodent under your bonnet...

check to see if the air intake is clear and nothing lodged in it. who did the clutch change?

13. D4VE

Sgarrista

what sort of lawnmower? Flymo, petrol mower?

14. Dugganator

Wise Guy

Have you checked you spark plug and HD leads. It could be that the car is only firing on three cyclinders. I am having a problem with my car thats sound sort of the same but mine turned out to be my head gasket :mad: i did all the trouble shooting first thou. I would check the sparks,hd leads there cheap to replace and really need to be done every once in a while so its a good place to start. Good luck

15. lordrobs

Capodecina

Which obviously sounds like its got a briggs & stratton under the bonnet :confused:

16. Wryel

Wise Guy

Was thinking of doing this actually, could I get the timing done quite cheaply as well?

For your referrence, it sounds like a petrol mower crossed with a little bit of farting.

17. Wryel

Wise Guy

Ok, no idea about the thrust bearing, what does it do?
    - No vibration through the stick, a little stiff going into first sometimes.
    - I'll check the air intakes
    - Lots of oil - I'm in the habit of checking it all the time after having a Golf TD that drank the stuff for breakfast.

18. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

Possible leaking exhaust manifold/downpipe. :)