why is eve-online so good?

Soldato
I like how he said a frigate would stand no chance against a Battleship in real life (the guy you killed). Clearly he hasn't looked at naval warfare, battleships started out in the early 1900s, an Italian idea, but pulled off by the British first due to an extremely quick ship build (something silly like 2 months). In WWI, a battleship never fired in anger, and was never shot at on any side. They were too valuable to risk, there was one potential engagement, the German side (can't remember which nation) decided to retreat, and the British decided not to persue. In WWII nothing much happened there either, the Bismark is about the only battleship to sink another ship (the Hood, itself a dreadnought class battleship iirc), only because it had more accurate guns. The other German battleship sunk shipping and tied up a large portion of the British fleet, it never sunk anything more than shipping.

In short battleships in real life are useless, and that is why there aren't any in service anymore. They take a beating before sinking, but they're only any good against other battleships due to the guns literally being too big :p

Hunter-killer submarines on the other hand...

I like the idea of Eve following real life ideals where a fighter can take out a battlecruiser. Lets face it, a lucky shot (like a single US bomber squadron taking out a Jap aircraft carrier in one pass) will take out a large ship. I just can't be bothered to go through the motions to get there :p I'm far too lazy for my own good :\

Soldato
Eve works on so many levels, you can dip in and just play for half hour without even undocking.. sorting out buy orders, skills and building stuff or you can log on, fit out a ship and get knee deep in fun.
From mineing to pvp to pve to running goods from end of the map to the other for profit.

I started with a mining guy, he suits me fine when i can't play fully, can play eve on my laptop whilst sitting downstairs with the other half and being semi social. He has now moved into some production, mainly to provide for my second account character..

Second guy is still fairly new, 2 million skillpoints but he's my first venture into pvp. Member of the the D2 alliance and we're fighting the Goonsquad atm with massive fleet battles and a daily fight for sovereignty. To play him i have to get Teamspeak and Vent running :) Over 170 players regularly in local all out to kill each other.. very entertaining when things kick off :cool:

I started playing eve because of Ogame tbh, i got bored with ogame but enjoyed the planning and way you could log in and do a little in your lunch hour.. i find eve the same, i can plan ship fittings and skill paths, work out what i need to do next.

I reformatted 2 weeks ago, only reinstalled steam and eve so far :)

Soldato
techically anything can take out anything in eve. Assault Frigs can take out a untanked BS without nosveratues extremly easily. A swarm of Assault frigs probilly could (with a lot of ammo and time) take out an untanked carrier that has lost its fighters :p then agen these are rare situations. But you have people like Goonswarm who have a massive amount of n00bs in frigates who go round taking anything out. (although i hear some of these n00bs are starting to get into thier first battleships :eek: ) could be scary with goonswarm in battleships :p

Associate
SoapSurgeon said:
hi,

after giving it more time (and joining the OCUK corp) ive gotta say that i am loving this! I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about giving it a go, at least download the trial.

Anyway last night i was evemailed by an agent saying he had a good mission for me, it involves picking up 144 units of mindflood and returning them. After some research i found out that mindflood is a narcotic and wondered if anyone has any advice for this kind of mission as i dont wanna get my ass kicked by CONCORD!!

Cheers,

Matt

most people turn down agent offers involving drugs they just arn't worth it, better to save your lp for a better offer where you wont get wtfpwned by concord

Soldato
jamie2497 said:
I just couldn't get into EVE but i know a lot of people who think its great, i just like a lot more action in my games!

wtf did you do? never undock?
I'll send you a trial account, its the button on the bottom left when your docked.
try using it.

Soldato
lol eve is so much more fun when u get into it. Try get into a player created corp. Then try find out what intrests you in eve. For me its PvP cant beat that adrenaline rush when fighting :)

Soldato
I'm on a break from it for a while. Its good, very good, but my alliance seems to be having a bit of a quiet time at the minute.

By break I do mean still logging in every day and sticking a new manaufacturing job on the go, but nothing involving actually leaving a station.

Just not in the mood for EVE at the minute. :(

Soldato
Le_Petit_Lapin said:
I'm on a break from it for a while. Its good, very good, but my alliance seems to be having a bit of a quiet time at the minute.

By break I do mean still logging in every day and sticking a new manaufacturing job on the go, but nothing involving actually leaving a station.

Just not in the mood for EVE at the minute. :(
Hehe, I know what you mean, we all have our lapses in interest in EVE :p

Soldato
Associate
I think the MC (Mecanary Coalition(sp?)) make the best video's. Particularly Leafo from NSN. The ISS construction video was great and one released not too long ago of which the name escapes me was amazing.

Back
Top Bottom