Why is my SSD doing this?

Associate
Been playing around with my Intel X-25M, HD Tach is showing this:

hd_test.gif

I switched over to AHCI, but I'm still getting the same reading. I'm using an Asus P5Q motherboard. Can anyone give me some advice?

Associate
OP
I've ran a few more tests (including atto), it's not matching the results from what i've seen, mainly the write speeds with CrystalDisk and AS SSD.

hd_tests.jpg

Soldato
have you made sure trim is enabled?

also, if you can disable super fetch and prefetch, move tmp and temp folders onto a hard disk, and disable system restore

Except for system restore, don't do this. An SSD is there to improve your user experience, no point spending hundreds and then not making full use of it just to squeeze a few extra points on a benchmark.
Your SSD has more than enough lifespan that it's not necessary to conserve writes.

On Topic, Your drive is heavily fragmented causing the write speed issues. Put the latest 02HD firmware on there and run the Intel SSD Toolbox cleaning tool

If that doesn't sort it, you'll want to create a backup system image, Secure Erase the Drive, and image back on, which will put performance back to as-new.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys. I've securely erased the HD, have the current firmware, installed a fresh copy of windows 7 x64, ran through all the updates and tweaks for the ssd (prefetch, superfetch, write caching, system restore, defrag, etc).Ran the SSD toolbox cleaning tool. Trim is enabled, I've included a Crystal Disk Info report in the below screen grab.

I've disconnected all my other drives for the moment, so all I have is a DVD Drive and the X-25M.

When I run the AS SSD benchmark, the write benchmarks for 4K and 4K-64Thrd take over 5 minutes, is that normal? (Ignore the Acc. Time for Read, one of the other programs blocked access to it and I wasn't too pushed about running the test again).

Really getting disheartened with it, I've formatted twice already today. I'm at a loss what to do next :(

hd_tests2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom