Why pay for a TV licence ?

Soldato
stoofa said:
It has - usually weekly although this particular one may have moved to a fortnightly slot instead.

*Waits patiently for the "I don't pay for a license because I rox and I'm cool" posts where people tell us exactly what they "would do" should somebody come to the door and ask to see their TV license.
I say "would do" because we are all aware of the bravado of the keyboard warrior*
I don't pay for a license because I have no TV and I'm on a student budget.

If a TV license person came to my door I'd invite them in and show them I don't have a TV.

How's that :)

Soldato
Hudzy said:
Kind of annoys me to be honest. I don't even want to watch BBC programs. if I could somehow have it so I couldn't recieve BBC broadcasts and not have to pay their fees, I'd be happy with that.
Threads like this annoy me !!
It only costs around £100 per year, don't be a cheap skate, if you want to watch TV then just pay it.

The BBC provides a multitude of World Class services and you’re winging over a few pounds, have a roll eyes :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Blue Planet

Nuff said.

What other broadcasting company would spend 5 years researching and recording a program?

Compaire this to the likes of C5 documentaries which are usually ported American things and ITV's which are usually done in 5 minutes and have some soap star voicing over, unless of course they got some cheap american ones they can show instead.

Associate
I would like to bring this thread to the fore once again.
I very rarely watch television, I dislike modern programming intensly.

Every now and then though, a gem is aired. This evening it was Planet Earth. It's the first time I've planned an evening around a television broadcast in months, and boy was it worth it.

Congratulations BBC... I don't mind paying my TV License if you continue producing beautifully depicted, wonderfully produced, stunningly shot programming like this.

Man of Honour
I didn't see Planet Earth, but it sounds like I probably missed something good. :(

Anyway, another program worth looking at is 'Facing the truth' (on yesterday, tonight, and tomorrow). It's a series of programs that place victims of the Northern Ireland troubles face to face with those who perpetrated the crimes against them, set up along the same lines as the South African 'Truth Commission' (and headed up by Archbishop Desmond Tutu). It's quite possibly the most powerful TV I've seen in a very long time, and the type of programming that commercial TV would run several miles away from because of it's controversial nature. Well done BBC. If this type of programming doesn't provide instant justification for the license fee, then I don't know what does.

Commissario
As long as you don't use the TV for receiving any broadcasts you're fine.

The best way to prove (if need be) that that is the case, is to not have any arial anywhere near the set, and only have your DVD/Games console/PC hooked up to it.

You don't need a licence if you have a TV, only if you are watching broadcasts on it (be it via ariel, cable TV, satalite or whatever).

Permabanned
Berserker said:
If this type of programming doesn't provide instant justification for the license fee, then I don't know what does.

It might provide justification for the BBC being publicly funded, but that isn't the same as saying it provides justification for the licence fee - and the two are very far from being the same thing.

Permabanned
HEADRAT said:
Honestly it isn't a great deal of money is it, it's about 34p a day (less than a good newspaper)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/licencefee/

we would be infinitely worse off without the BBC IMHO, all its detracters need to wake up and smell the coffee, go to most other places in the world and the TV is dire!

HEADRAT

We can retain the BBC but still do away with the licence fee, the two aren't mutually exclusive. It might not be much money to you, on a high income but it is to me, which is why I don't pay it.

Soldato
So you don't feel 34p a day is good value for money for all the services offer (+ commercial free)? I can understand that you may not want to pay a licence fee but I honestly don't think it represents bad value for money.

HEADRAT

Soldato
OP
I really enjoyed Planet Earth.
A fine example of what programming can be.
But for "light entertainment" the BBC is god awful. (I have to watch light entertainment because of the gf :) )
ITV has The X-Factor and Pop Idol, BBC has Fame Academy.
ITV has Dancing on Ice, BBC has Just the Two of US.

Why can't the BBC get it right ?
:)

Permabanned
HEADRAT said:
So you don't feel 34p a day is good value for money for all the services offer (+ commercial free)? I can understand that you may not want to pay a licence fee but I honestly don't think it represents bad value for money.

HEADRAT

No I don't, and you can make any bill sound cheap when you divide it into cost per day.. it's unfair and I won't have them tell me I need to pay money to the BBC when I want to watch ITV or Ch4 - why we put up with this I'll never understand. I can only guess it's because people don't see the alternative which is to fund the BBC out of general taxation, which would then be based on ability to pay rather than the 'poll tax' system that we have now.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
why we put up with this I'll never understand.

Because it's probably the best broadcaster in the world, if the BBC had to be commercially funded it would change the nature of the beast. I know I'm never going to change your opinion but I think it would be a very sad day when (and I think it is inevitable) that the BBC has to look to fund itself in other ways than the license fee.

Now when this happens I hope all the people that said how expensive in was and what a liberty the license fee used to be don't start moaning that they now have to "subscribe" to the BBC or pay "per view" for it's programmes.

I guess only time will tell ;)

HEADRAT

Permabanned
HEADRAT said:
Because it's probably the best broadcaster in the world, if the BBC had to be commercially funded it would change the nature of the beast. I know I'm never going to change your opinion but I think it would be a very sad day when (and I think it is inevitable) that the BBC has to look to fund itself in other ways than the license fee.

Now when this happens I hope all the people that said how expensive in was and what a liberty the license fee used to be don't start moaning that they now have to "subscribe" to the BBC or pay "per view" for it's (sic) programmes.

I guess only time will tell ;)

HEADRAT

Did you miss where I said fund it out of general taxation.

Anyway I hardly watch TV, but I do watch it occasionally (the boxing on ITV1 the other week was good) so I guess I should say thanks to you for paying the licence for me ;) Seriously, I'm buggered if I'm giving the bloated, inefficient BBC a big chunk of my hard earned cash so that I can watch ITV1.. :)

Back
Top Bottom