Why pay for a TV licence ?

Soldato
Moonpie2 said:
ITV has Dancing on Ice, BBC has Just the Two of US.

Why can't the BBC get it right ?
:)
In my opinion Just the Two of Us is much better than Dancing on Ice. The Ice Skating one reminds me too much of Strictly Come Dancing for it to warrant my viewing time.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Stringy said:
In my opinion Just the Two of Us is much better than Dancing on Ice. The Ice Skating one reminds me too much of Strictly Come Dancing for it to warrant my viewing time.

IMO, all those types of shows are rubbish.

Commissario
dirtydog said:
Did you miss where I said fund it out of general taxation.

Anyway I hardly watch TV, but I do watch it occasionally (the boxing on ITV1 the other week was good) so I guess I should say thanks to you for paying the licence for me ;) Seriously, I'm buggered if I'm giving the bloated, inefficient BBC a big chunk of my hard earned cash so that I can watch ITV1.. :)

but you'd rather give the money to the government to fund the BBC out of general Taxation?

Knowing the government, if they did it that way the amount we pay for it would increase threefold, the BBC would get less than it does now and the rest would "disappear".

Just look at how things like road tax and fuel taxes pay for the roadsystem at the moment.

At the moment the TV licence money can be fairly easily, and clearly tracked, the BBC may once have been very inefficient but from what I can tell that is largely no longer the case (well apart from the normal things like outsourcing to save money in the short term, but in the long term paying more than having the facilities in house).

Permabanned
Also as I've said before, the BBC and the taxpayer (ie. the courts and police) would save millions a year by not having to run the licence scheme - printing and posting all the forms and all the massive bureaucracy that goes along with it - the whole TVLA could be abolished. No more court time taken up with prosecuting non-payers. No more paying people to visit to snoop to see if you're watching TV :rolleyes: What is this, soviet Russia?

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Also as I've said before, the BBC and the taxpayer (ie. the courts and police) would save millions a year by not having to run the licence scheme - printing and posting all the forms and all the massive bureaucracy that goes along with it - the whole TVLA could be abolished. No more court time taken up with prosecuting non-payers. No more paying people to visit to snoop to see if you're watching TV :rolleyes: What is this, soviet Russia?

I agree, or at least make it "pay for what you watch" or something. I hardly watch the BBC, the BBC website is good though, so not sure how you'd handle the viewing of the content. What boils me most though, is that "anyone" from all over the world can view the BBC webpages.

Even the US get some BBC broadcasts, why should the UK foot the bill for this? Another rip off britain issue I feel..

But what can we do about. Those who are happy to pay have no problem, but those who do not watch the BBC or even use the BBC websites or anything as still forced to pay of they want to have a TV. It is "Very" unfair, reform is needed, but the BBC isn't going to do this, as they earn a good crust from the public by using unfair tatics.

OK, rant over..!!

Soldato
iv-tecman said:
Even the US get some BBC broadcasts, why should the UK foot the bill for this? Another rip off britain issue I feel..

I would imagine they have to pay for them, the BBC makes a lot of money selling its programmes abroad.

HEADRAT

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Ever tried watched ABC? They have adverts 2seconds after the show has started and a whole 10 seconds after the last lot had just finished. I for one don't wan't British TV going this way, but nor do I see why I have to pay for a TV license when i'm a student and struggling for money as it is.

Permabanned
There are laws in this country governing the amount of ads - and I don't find the ads on British TV terribly intrusive. What I do find bloody irritating is the huge amount of ads on the BBC! They might not be during the programmes but they're still on at a time so you're forced to watch them - eg. a programme due to start at 9 will often have ads until 9.03 or whatever.

Commissario
iv-tecman said:
I agree, or at least make it "pay for what you watch" or something. I hardly watch the BBC, the BBC website is good though, so not sure how you'd handle the viewing of the content. What boils me most though, is that "anyone" from all over the world can view the BBC webpages.

But what can we do about. Those who are happy to pay have no problem, but those who do not watch the BBC or even use the BBC websites or anything as still forced to pay of they want to have a TV. It is "Very" unfair, reform is needed, but the BBC isn't going to do this, as they earn a good crust from the public by using unfair tatics.

OK, rant over..!!

re BBC website, it doesn't cost much more to allow people from outside the U.K. to use it than it would if just the UK could (it probably costs less, as you're not paying out for additional hardware/programming to limit it to UK IP addresses), as the main cost is actually producing the content, bandwidth etc is relatively cheap (especially in the quantities the BBC most likely uses).

As for the U.S. getting BBC content, it's sold to them with the money going some way to offsetting the cost of making it/buying in American made content.
They don't get it free, the average U.S. viewer of BBC content is paying for it either through satalite/cable costs, advertising or as part of their local taxes (if it's on PBS or similar).

The BBC also do a certain level of like for like content sharing, if you've ever watched News 24 they have American news on every now and then (I think a couple of times a week) to give an American view on things, and I assume the U.S. network that provides that programme gets a similar amount of BBC news n return.

Back
Top Bottom