Why the iPhone is better than the desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
apple have had time to release updates to fix issues where as the desire is fairly new. anyone know how good htc are at releasing updates for their phones? ive just bought a desire, didnt for a sec think about getting an iphone!

Soldato
I gotta say, sounds like you got no idea what you're talking about OP. Whilst some people are gonna like the iPhone regardless as its a good piece of kit, its been undeniably surpassed by the second generation of Android phones. They're faster and have better features - this is why Apple needs the iPhone 4g, because Google and the phone manufacturers have stepped up.

I couldn't go back to an iPhone from my Nexus now... it just feels too basic and outdated.

Associate
I think HTC have done wonders to counter the run away train that is the iPhone franchise. Although to this day my 19 month old 3G is by far the best phone I've ever owned (and I've had A LOT), if news comes that they are indeed going to bring the HTC EVO to the UK, I will be picking it up instead of the new 4G.

Soldato
- media player
In one word, rubbish. The media player is slow, clunky and unintuitive compared to iphone.

Agree with this. To be fair, the iPhone has a very good interface courtesy of Apple's years of iPod's. They have had a lot of time to perfect it.

The Desire one is fine but Apple's is better.

Desire - 0
iPhone - 1

- internet browser
This one was a suprise, the Desire comes with flash support but that was the only thing I liked about it. Browsing on the desire is horrible, slow and unresponsive. Scrolling is not as smooth as the iphone.
Here are load times on my wifi network, all cache cleared.
(engadget)
iPhone opera browser: 2 seconds
iPhone safari browser: 3 seconds
htc desire: 9 seconds
Plain wrong as has been explained already about using EnGadets site. Try loading up something else like BBC News or something.

Besides, there are PLENTY of reviews (including public opinion) that state the Desire browser is better than the iPhone

Desire - 1
iPhone - 1
- camera/video quality
Desire has more megapixels but quality is crap
This makes me wonder why you havent even mentioned the iPhone camera. You have a right to your opinion saying the Desire camera quality is crap but why did you fail to put your thoughts on the iPhone camera up ??

Is that because it would hurt to much to say that the iPhone camera is even worse??

For the record - the Desire camera is very good. People are idiots, IMO, if they say modern cameraphone cameras are crap. They are very capable. If you want better then go buy a proper SLR camera as thats what they are made for and why they sell them.... Its like saying a Corsa is crap because it wont go round a racetrack as fast as a Ferrari - Apples v Oranges, simple as.

Desire - 2 (because camera is better than iPhone's)
iPhone - 1
- android market
where are all the good apps?
well itunes is just better. no need to discuss that
Considering that Apple Market has been going for far longer than Android, its safe to say why there are more and better apps out there. Pair up the increased market penetration and visibility of Android with Apple's stupidity of locking down what Developers for their store can do even more, it wont be long till Android Market is as good.

Desire - 2
iPhone - 2 (their apps ARE better and there are more... for now)

- gps
google maps on htc desire is not accurate. iphone was 2 streets out but desire was a country mile off
- phone lags unless powered on and off everyday
You are just plain wrong here. Did you actually check you had GPS on and had a lock ?? My Desire (like everyone else that has commented here) has me within a couple of meters and the FREE satnav works great.

I just dont think you used it correctly.

Lags - no lags here. Cant help but think your mindset (Apple fanboi) has you exaggerating/seeing things that are not there.

Desire - 3
Iphone - 2

Whoopsie... Scorecard says diff...

Nearly a year since iphone came out and it is still the best phone. The new iphone is coming out soon and there is nothing out there that comes close. Really disappointed with what all phone manufacturers could come up with. Looks like my next phone will be an iphone.
Yup, nothing comes close to an iPhone... Nothing like having your device locked down and un-customisable to the point where even simple Bluetooth-ing is not possible :rolleyes:

p.s. - I know this is possible but you have to "jailbreak" the phone which then means you aint comparing like for like anymore

TBH I dont see why iPhone fans are getting their knickers in a twist. The iPhone has been out for a number of years. Its common bloody sense that brand new devices SHOULD BE and ARE better as technology and mistakes are learnt from.

When the new iPhone comes out, it SHOULD be better than the Desire because its BRAND NEW and should have the latest stuff.

Some people need to get over themselves if you ask me. Its a phone. If thats all you have that gets you all worked up then get a grip.

Soldato
I usually take the advice of 'don't feed the troll', but some of your observations are blatant lies.

- media player
In one word, rubbish. The media player is slow, clunky and unintuitive compared to iphone.
Well hard to argue because iTunes, for better or worse, is the industry leader. Massive bonus to any non-Apple phone though not having to be locked into iTunes

- internet browser
This one was a suprise, the Desire comes with flash support but that was the only thing I liked about it. Browsing on the desire is horrible, slow and unresponsive. Scrolling is not as smooth as the iphone.
Here are load times on my wifi network, all cache cleared.
(engadget)
iPhone opera browser: 2 seconds
iPhone safari browser: 3 seconds
htc desire: 9 seconds
Blatant lie here. Under a second for the 'mobile' site, way less than 9 for the full. Of course the iPhone will be faster for this particular site, it's loaded with flash ads that the iPhone can't display. Did you bother testing the Opera browser for Android to make this a fair test?

- gps
google maps on htc desire is not accurate. iphone was 2 streets out but desire was a country mile off
Again a blatant lie. I used it to navigate on foot in central London yesterday and then in the car back across central London and it was always spot on, I even used it to orient myself. The only time it crapped out was when I went into a tunnel, but then to be fair the TomTom I was testing it against also went nuts at the same time. You're not testing GPS indoors are you? If so the inaccuracy could be down to not having line of sight with the satellite, forcing it to use cell towers as a backup, which can be miles out.

The iPhone is not a bad phone by any stretch of the imagination. Honestly, the Desire and other phones wouldn't exist yet if it weren't for Apple releasing such handsets. What really grinds my gears though is people such as yourselves who attack competitors with such vitriol and fabricate such nonsense, which unfortunately is a reoccurring theme with Apple fanboys.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well if it £200 he wants for it, I'll have it for that now.

I'll keep everyone posted if it turns out to be lies.

Soldato
Agree with this. To be fair, the iPhone has a very good interface courtesy of Apple's years of iPod's. They have had a lot of time to perfect it.

The Desire one is fine but Apple's is better.

Desire - 0
iPhone - 1

Plain wrong as has been explained already about using EnGadets site. Try loading up something else like BBC News or something.

Besides, there are PLENTY of reviews (including public opinion) that state the Desire browser is better than the iPhone

Desire - 1
iPhone - 1
This makes me wonder why you havent even mentioned the iPhone camera. You have a right to your opinion saying the Desire camera quality is crap but why did you fail to put your thoughts on the iPhone camera up ??

Is that because it would hurt to much to say that the iPhone camera is even worse??

For the record - the Desire camera is very good. People are idiots, IMO, if they say modern cameraphone cameras are crap. They are very capable. If you want better then go buy a proper SLR camera as thats what they are made for and why they sell them.... Its like saying a Corsa is crap because it wont go round a racetrack as fast as a Ferrari - Apples v Oranges, simple as.

Desire - 2 (because camera is better than iPhone's)
iPhone - 1
Considering that Apple Market has been going for far longer than Android, its safe to say why there are more and better apps out there. Pair up the increased market penetration and visibility of Android with Apple's stupidity of locking down what Developers for their store can do even more, it wont be long till Android Market is as good.

Desire - 2
iPhone - 2 (their apps ARE better and there are more... for now)

You are just plain wrong here. Did you actually check you had GPS on and had a lock ?? My Desire (like everyone else that has commented here) has me within a couple of meters and the FREE satnav works great.

I just dont think you used it correctly.

Lags - no lags here. Cant help but think your mindset (Apple fanboi) has you exaggerating/seeing things that are not there.

Desire - 3
Iphone - 2

Whoopsie... Scorecard says diff...

Yup, nothing comes close to an iPhone... Nothing like having your device locked down and un-customisable to the point where even simple Bluetooth-ing is not possible :rolleyes:

p.s. - I know this is possible but you have to "jailbreak" the phone which then means you aint comparing like for like anymore

TBH I dont see why iPhone fans are getting their knickers in a twist. The iPhone has been out for a number of years. Its common bloody sense that brand new devices SHOULD BE and ARE better as technology and mistakes are learnt from.

When the new iPhone comes out, it SHOULD be better than the Desire because its BRAND NEW and should have the latest stuff.

Some people need to get over themselves if you ask me. Its a phone. If thats all you have that gets you all worked up then get a grip.

Fantastic and fair post :)

There are a lot of Apple haters on here and they're so quick to put Apple down without actually owning both devices.

Last week, some people on here may have remembered my post about actually preferring an iPhone over the Desire because even though both were good phones, the iPhone was certainly more polished.

The good news is, some of my concerns with the Desire have been fixed, mainly the fact protected applications on the market place can now be seen. Funny thing is, people were slating the iPhone on this point and they wasn't even aware of the protected application situation on the Desire.

The application market on Android is still a concern for me, the fragmentation of devices and different Android versions is causing issues.

For example, look at the Runkeeper reviews. People giving it 1 stars even though they admit in their comment that they know it only works on 2.0 and above. Why would you mark and application poorly because of that? Why not go complain to SE for making their X10 flagship phone with an outdated OS?

I also don't get update notifications pushed to me despite it being set in the options, their are definitely more useless applications on Android (Apple haters will state otherwise) and there seems to be loads of spam comments under applications.

My other issue with the Desire is the Sync software, it's just awful. People complain about iTunes, but least it synced everything without any issues at all. Music, contacts, applications, play lists - everything.

So iTunes wiped your music because you didn't read about deauthorising your account? Not iTunes fault, it's yours. Would you complain about bricking your phone is you tried to update it with no battery life?

I'm aware software exists to Sync music with the Desire, but they're all awful and no where near as polished as iTunes. DoubleTwist was nigh on two ours trying to sync my iTunes content and playlists before I told it to cancel.

Desire Pros:
  • Faster hardware
  • More open, can install content from the web (although the content I've installed is due to the lack of it on Market)
  • Slightly better web browsing (the iPhone was the king of browsing for a long time and it's certainly still very good)
  • Google Navigation - this is impressive for something in beta
  • HTC Mail - More robust and feature rich, like being able to set out of office, pretty sure I couldn't do this on my iPhone)
  • Camera (Only slightly though, I think the hardware is there but Android camera control is still not right)
  • Ability to tether without carriers wanting to charge you more.

iPhone Pros:
  • Better base software for majority of the phone, if you've owned both compare the ability to move application icons between home screens. The iPhone is smoother and faster.
  • Better PC/Mac integration
  • Application Store - has live search i.e. results appear as you type, better compatibility with more accurate comments about the app itself as a result, more apps with better quality
  • Better media player, 100 times better in fact. Genius on Desire? I wished.
  • Better/more accessories
  • More accurate touch screen (this has been tested online with good methodology)
  • Easier to use, usable from box. Don't agree? Well read the Desire thread about alarm clocks, Gmail Notification, Facebook contact list integration. Android is a double edge sword, it's more complex due to extra functionality that comes from application data sharing/dependencies.

Poor or missing features across both:
  • Bluetooth controls
  • Speaker phone quality, the Desire is just as bad as the iPhone.

In an even smaller summary, Android is a very good and usable OS that's only going to get better.

Yet Apple have always produced very good software and this shows on the iPhone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure what you mean by Bluetooth controls. I use Bluetooth fine with the Desire. Granted I haven't used it for anything complicated, but sending/receiving stuff works great even between non-Desire phones... Is iPhone still tied to not allowing BT transfer if non-jailbreaked ??

The auto-update for apps also annoys me but this is meant to be getting changed in Android 2.2 (Froyo)

I personally just dont like Apple's methodology of "you will use my device as I tell you and I wont let you change a thing".

If I had paid a lot of money for something, I will use it as I want.

Apart from that, the iPhone is a great device. Its just been surpassed by more modern technology and I fully expect the same to happen to the Desire when the 4G comes out. Dont mean I will bitch and moan about it like some people do....

Soldato
Bluetooth controls, as in hands free operation using voice commands via a Bluetooth headset.

Not sure about transfer, to be honest - I don't think I've ever bluetoothed any content between two phones. I only ever use it for connecting to my car hands free.

Soldato
I'd agree there with everything you've mentioned bar the iPhone being faster. Well technically in a way yes, but a fair test will be when the new iPhone is released and supports multitasking.

I meant faster with the stock UI, the Desire is faster within applications without a doubt.

Yet on the Desire home screen, moving application icons around is slow. Seems like I have to hold an icon for 2-5 seconds at the edge of a home screen before the adjacent home screen slides over.

You can hold the icon and with the other finger slide the screens a long as you usually would, but this seems cumbersome.

Soldato
There's no such thing as multi tasking on any phone, I can't think of any situations where I've done something on my Desire and thought to myself "well I wouldn't have been able to do that on my iPhone".

Maybe I will one day as my application behaviour changes / gets bigger.

Another example, in the Desire browser - if I open the window view, all the pages other than the one I was just on are white. Not an issue if you can see the address of the window in the navigation bar to identify what that window is.

Yet today, I was on a white page and it was telling me it was an OcUK forum page, clicking on it actually loaded an XDA forum page.

Unless you can fit two programs side by side on a device and use them both efficiently - it's not multitasking. Of course mobile phones will always be too small to do this.

Man of Honour
There's no such thing as multi tasking on any phone, I can't think of any situations where I've done something on my Desire and thought to myself "well I wouldn't have been able to do that on my iPhone".

Yes there is - having applications RUNNING in the background, not suspended, is multitasking.

IE MSN, IRC, etc whilst browsing or sending texts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom