Why the iPhone is better than the desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not at all Apple brought out a phone, that like every other phone had a list of specifications that showed what features were on it. Not Apples fault if the feature people wanted wasn't on the first iphone. The 3g was released to address some of the requests for additional features likewise the 3gs. No different to any car getting a new updated model brought out every year. Three phones in 3 years isnt bad compared with most manufacturers most bring that many out a quarter.

Not at all ??

Come off it. Apple didnt just do what you say, they actually hamstrung some features like, again, Bluetooth etc.

Why would you take something thats built and designed for wireless data transfer then... well... turn a bit of it off ?? :confused:

Your analogy of the BMW is inaccurate... Fox's is better.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;16432262 said:
A better analogy would be its like BMW announcing a car that can only drive on certain roads, when everyone elses car drives on any road. Then, every year, releasing a FANTASTIC NEW AMAZING VERSION OF REVOLUTIONARY AWESOMENESS that adds a few more roads.

With everyone else going :confused:

LOL...BF Bert i thinks got his example a bit muddled up in all honesty.

Personally i despise any company that tells me to buy their product but yet makes sure that its locked down to how THEY want you to use it a la Apple.

Anyhow if theres one thing im glad for is that with the invention of the iphone...its made other mobile manufacturers sit up and take note and bring out other devices that have given apple a good run for its money....so kudos to apple for that.

But in order to compete the new iphone will have to be truly something special as future Android devices will spank the iphone into the ground...i dont think theres any point in debating that...i mean who would have thought a yr ago that a mobile phone would have a 1ghz cpu in it.

Im waiting on apple to release what the new iphone is going to be all about...i know theres their version of multi tasking which tbh is a welcome addition but no hardware specs yet.

Associate
I still don't understand how Apple locked it down so you can't use it the way you want to.... what do you want it to do that it can't?

Caporegime
I still don't understand how Apple locked it down so you can't use it the way you want to.... what do you want it to do that it can't?

LOL well then i give up in all honesty...if you cant understand the simple concept of an open operating system then there really no point in me going over it again and again.

Plenty of things already listed in this thread that quite clearly show that apple want you to use the iphone the way they want you to.

Soldato
LOL well then i give up in all honesty...if you cant understand the simple concept of an open operating system then there really no point in me going over it again and again.

Plenty of things already listed in this thread that quite clearly show that apple want you to use the iphone the way they want you to.

Whilst it's a definite fact that the Apple OS is not open unlike Android, you do have to appreciate that there are benefits to this.

It completely takes away fragmentation, if you install something off the application store - it's guaranteed to work on your phone.

You don't get what you do on Android Market, where you have X10 users stupidly rating applications 1 out of 5 stars because their 1.6 Android OS won't run that application.

Also you have the issue on Android devices that have different screen resolutions, some phones have voice search built in that some applications use.

Then when the phones OS does get updated, you get it straight away. No waiting for operators to inject their branded crap into it before releasing it.

Caporegime
Whilst it's a definite fact that the Apple OS is not open unlike Android, you do have to appreciate that there are benefits to this.

It completely takes away fragmentation, if you install something off the application store - it's guaranteed to work on your phone.

You don't get what you do on Android Market, where you have X10 users stupidly rating applications 1 out of 5 stars because their 1.6 Android OS won't run that application.

Also you have the issue on Android devices that have different screen resolutions, some phones have voice search built in that some applications use.

Then when the phones OS does get updated, you get it straight away. No waiting for operators to inject their branded crap into it before releasing it.

I think you'll find that this all applies to the App store too.

Either because they have an older model of iPhone, they haven't upgraded firmware, they're using an iPod Touch which lacks GPS, Voice or Camera, or in some cases, just in the wrong region for the app to work, such as the Masters app which only allowed streaming in America.

Associate
So all your comments are based in on Apple bashing at its best. I suppose it was only natural for a troll post to drag out the others

Caporegime

Im pretty sure that the App store of Apple has issues with older iphones ie some apps will not run or work on say the iphone 2g or even the iphone 3G.

EDIT: skippi beat me to it lol

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;16432262 said:
A better analogy would be its like BMW announcing a car that can only drive on certain roads, when everyone elses car drives on any road. Then, every year, releasing a FANTASTIC NEW AMAZING VERSION OF REVOLUTIONARY AWESOMENESS that adds a few more roads.

With everyone else going :confused:

This. Pretty much spot on. :D

Caporegime
Im pretty sure that the App store of Apple has issues with older iphones ie some apps will not run or work on say the iphone 2g or even the iphone 3G.

EDIT: skippi beat me to it lol

Of course it does, but that doesn't matter because it's still an iPhone you see and you're supposed to buy every new model as soon as it's released and heaven forbid you complain about having to do so.

The iPhone is the Porsche 911 of the mobile world.

Caporegime
So all your comments are based in on Apple bashing at its best. I suppose it was only natural for a troll post to drag out the others

Ok...then tell me or give me 10 good reasons why i should buy an iphone??..serious question as i have been contemplating on maybe picking up the new iphone when its released.

So feel free to give me 10 good reasons as to why i should ditch my HTC Desire and BB 9700 and buy the iphone??.

Ok maybe not 10 but at least 5 good decent reasons as to why i should choose an iphone...as im pretty sure 10 reasons would probably send most iphone fanboi heads into spontaneous combustion:p:D

Caporegime
Ok...then tell me or give me 10 good reasons why i should buy an iphone??..serious question as i have been contemplating on maybe picking up the new iphone when its released.

So feel free to give me 10 good reasons as to why i should ditch my HTC Desire and BB 9700 and buy the iphone??.

Ok maybe not 10 but at least 5 good decent reasons as to why i should choose an iphone...as im pretty sure 10 reasons would probably send most iphone fanboi heads into spontaneous combustion:p:D

1. Calls
2. 'Multitasking'
3. SMS
4. Browsing
5. Copy and Paste

Soldato
Well it's something I've definitely noticed more whilst using Android, i.e. applications being crapped on for no real reason.

Coming to think of it, I didn't read my application reviews whilst using my old 3G, simply because I found most applications had more of a description and screen shots.

On the Market Place, I don't see much of a description and max two screenshots - so tend to rely more on reviews. Maybe that's why.

Any way, I'm glad protected applications can now be seen on the Desire. Still missing the live search feature though.

Caporegime
Well it's something I've definitely noticed more whilst using Android, i.e. applications being crapped on for no real reason.

Read some of the reviews for apps on the App Store. Good apps are being rated 1 star for no reason whatsoever. Using the same example as earlier, the Masters app had it's rating destroyed by UK users rating it 1 star saying "What's the point if it doesn't work in the UK?".

Soldato
This thread will end in tears. Everyone has their fav phones, who cares?

Just buy a phone that works for you, and enjoy it. No need for fanboy driven thread like these, just spoils things!

Associate
I'm not saying the iphone is better and never have just trying to keep some of the Apple hating out of it. Stick to what you know to be true and it will end up being a better discussion.

Apple released the original iphone 3 years ago as their first attempt at a mobile phone, yes it had flaws, some of which they have addressed with the 3g and 3gs, they will no doubt continue to update their phones in exactly the same manner other manufacturers do..... by releasing another model. Do HTC get hate for releasing newer and better models of phone? and they do it far more frequently than Apple, how many iphone beaters have they released in the past year?

The Desire is a great phone, and so it should be its cutting edge at the moment but its still not without its flaws. I'll freely admit it doesn't seem to do very many things worse than the iphone but at the same time from a smartphone point of view it doesn't do most things better either. It has the all important it seems customisation going for it and its apparent multitasking but its not true multitasking either. Bluetooth doesn't seem to be great on either but since i've only ever used 1 handsfree on both of them and the odd bluetooth tether on the iphone I cant say for sure. Support from HTC has yet to be proven........ ask any Hero owner about Android updates.

I don't think from a usability side theres much to choose between them. Hardware wise the Desire is obviously ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom