1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the need for so many sweeteners in so much stuff?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Radiation, 10 May 2010.

1. Radiation

Mobster

I was just drinking a can of Fanta and i don't normally do it but i just had a look at the ingredients and i was surprised to see not one but three different kinds of sweeteners in a single can, that's added on top of normal sugar, so we have four things making this drink sweet, probably more if you include the fruit juices, surely thats excessive when one should do the job?

I thought taste was a limited sense (not smell/taste), something is either sweet or its not or so i thought, looking at wikipedia they rate these on how many times more sweet than sugar they are, so i don't get the need for three kinds of artificial sweeter, doesn't make sense. :confused:

2. ordinaryjoe

Hitman

Well why does the number of sweeteners matter... It's more the amount of each one. Also, in none diet lemonade, there is often 15 grams or so of sugar per 100ml so even if the sweetener is 100x as strong, in a can, you would still need 0.5 grams of sweetener.

3. whitecrook

Sgarrista

The 'taste' of different sugars and sweeteners as well as the 'sweetness' is different. Also, the time the taste 'hits' and the size of the aftertaste

I tend to avoid anything with sweeteners when an alternative is available. I've noticed a worrying trend recently that even many of the non-diet drinks these days included sweeteners.

I can't drink anything with aspartame in it - it tastes terrible and leaves a disgusting aftertaste.

4. Skeptic

Mobster

People who drink lots of fizzy pop are fat and unhealthy. Why did you think this was?

5. Westie

Soldato

lol spat my drink everywhere!

6. asim18

Capodecina

Is this some sort of joke? :confused:

Because I've been drinking at least 2 cans of coke every day for the past 10 years and I'm only 6'1" and about 9.8 stone.

7. Limenote

Wise Guy

doesnt make you healthy, fizzy drinks are notoriously unhealthy

8. Uriel

Sgarrista

Aspartame gives me headaches. Annoyingly it's in all sorts of stuff where I wouldn't expect it.

9. digipeep

Wise Guy

10. Nix

Capodecina

Asim, how can you be so daft sometimes is beyond me. What did you think pop was? It's syrup, which essentially refinied sugar, and soda-water.

Personally, I don't like fanta anyway as it leaves that horrible artificial sweetener after-taste in my mouth. Likewise, I can't drink any flavoured water ('with a touch of strawberry', etc.) as I get bad headaches from it; I'm assuming this is all the sweeteners they have in the water.

11. asim18

Capodecina

Is that some sort of joke?

Because soft drinks are called pop. Coke is a soft drink. :confused:

12. Nix

Capodecina

A joke? What?

Soft drinks, pop, fizzy drinks, whatever you want to call them... they're all made the same way: concentrated syrup and soda water.

13. PanMaster

Wise Guy

I've noticed Lemon & lime flavoured water gave me terrible headaches too.

Several artificial sweetners are suspected carcinogens and many such as sucralose have been linked with migraines.

14. Energize

Caporegime

Not really, sugar free drinks have no calories and artificial sweetners are harmless, despite what some insane alternative health nutter might say.

15. Andr3w

Capodecina

Your stupidity really does baffle me sometimes.

ANYWAY moving on, I know they are full of rubbish etc, but I still like to treat myside to a can of pop every now and again :D

INFACT, sod it *cracks open a can of 7UP*

:p

I've heard rumors that 'Diet' or 'Light' drinks can be worse for you than the normal alternative, is there any truth in this?

Last edited: 11 May 2010
  16. scorza

Caporegime

An American focus group said that they preferred soft drinks that were 10% sugar, therefore that's all that's on offer.

17. mrk

Man of Honour

Well the focus group is quite out of focus isn't it when people are getting fat, have blood sugar issues and have other health problems related to it!

18. I get around

Mobster

Aside from the fact I don't like it, this is why I don't drink pop.
    Unless mixed with a spirit, even then it's a tiny tiny dash.

19. Freefaller

Man of Honour

Fizzy drinks are the devil! :D

Just had to give my piece on this...

*goes back to his ice cold water*

20. Zip

Capodecina

I thought you have lemon in that?:p

Ive taken a liking plain ol' soda water myself:D