1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Vista WILL suck

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by ben_j_davis, 6 Mar 2006.

1. ben_j_davis

Wise Guy

2. Kerplunk

Sgarrista

Oh lord.

My head is really beginning to hurt now.

3. Beansprout

Man of Honour

But a couple of years after Vista's release such graphical power will be standard...

I agree here. ET mentioned that Vista included X but didn't include Y or Z. Microsoft just can't win! If they did include Y and Z, ET and other reviewers would be saying "here comes the M$ monopoly again..."

So in summary he just used a silly over-hyped headline to his article, which contained little actual substance and some awful opinion.

Sigh.

4. csmager

Soldato

the 'fancy desktop' runs fine on cards like the nVidia fx5200 and the Radeon 9600. Hardly an 'investment' in a 'high-end graphics card', is it?

And he may be moaning about 5308 running incredibly slowly, but he fails to say that it isn't finished yet. I'm confident it will run much faster by RTM.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2006
  5. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I thought that the CTP version he's using is slower because it has debugging enabled or something. It is pretty foolish to compare the speed of an unfinished OS, when the final release is most probably going to be much better, like XP was compared to its betas.

Vista may have shortcomings but dearie me, the idea that Linux will be as good or better is hilarious. When Linux has caught up with the user friendliness and speed of Windows 95, let alone 2000, XP or Vista, then we'll talk... until then, don't make me laugh.

6. Beansprout

Man of Honour

Oh dear...user friendiness I agree on but speed? Never :p

SO close to being a sensible post which I agreed with :D

7. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I didn't word it very well perhaps :p I was thinking in terms of speed of doing things like installing software or drivers, compared to Linux. But every Windows OS boots and shuts down/restarts a lot faster than any Linux distro I've ever tried. Also the Windows 95 GUI is snappier than say Gnome or KDE :)

8. NathanE

Capodecina

Since when was WMF rendering performed in the kernel? Oh wait, I forgot... it's written by a *nix geek where it is customary that everything and anything gets piled into the monolithic kernel...

What an idiot. I really can't be bothered to read any more. That alone is enough to discredit the entire article and indeed its author.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2006
  9. VeNT

Capodecina

for you or me maybe, but 99% of business PCs will not be, nor ever will be!

10. NathanE

Capodecina

But then, nobody is forcing anybody to use Aero Glass. If you don't have the measly hardware power to run it then just turn off Aero Glass! Vista actually does this automatically if it determines your system can't handle it...

11. Phil99

Capodecina

I think that's probably the worst article I've ever read.

So Vista will force you to buy a USB2 memory stick to use as a buffer? Doubt it.

So? Renaming a version of Windows makes it suck? :confused:

But surely it's best to have support before it's introduced for immediate use rather than having to wait for an opensource project to catch up?

12. Phil99

Capodecina

And I doubt alot of businesses will be too fussed about Aero Glass on all their PCs anyway.

13. thefranklin

Gangster

Some of the comments to the article hit it right on.

And I had an Nvidea Nforce 4 5 years ago when I bought a dell. Surely soon even integrated graphics can *hopefully* attain the same power.

14. csmager

Soldato

Yep - apparently the next version of Intel Extreme Graphics (their onboard solution that is currently...crap) will support Aero Glass.

15. FirebarUK

Soldato

lol :D

Poor guy seems exceedingly biased, I love my linux but its just too much of a pain in the arse sometimes, roll on my care-free Vista experience for my home PC.

16. ShakenNstirred

Sgarrista

is that 4-5 years ago or is it as i read it, you had an Nforce 4 motherboard 5 years ago if so they werent even out 5 years ago
    nforce 1 was but not 4

17. Monstermunch

Wise Guy

LOL ;)

18. Spyhop

Soldato

I propose changing the title of that "article" to Why Linux Sucks

1. Because the community produces biased, pretentious nerds like that guy. :o

19. dirtydog

PermaBanned

:D

Certainly I think any Linux zealot is on very shaky ground saying other operating systems suck, when Linux is in such a poor state.

20. PinkPig

Mobster

And I think that that's something of an odd comment!