Why water won't work?

Associate
Hi guys,

Since killing my XP-M 2600 off when crappy Abit AN7 blew a gasket I was reduced back to my trusty ol' 1800 Palomino whilst I gathered my thoughts again.

Out went the Abit's and to replace my emergency A7V333 I bought an EPoX 8RGA for 19 quid brand new off ebay.

However the EPoX doesn't like the Thermaltake waterblock and will only post on the Palomino at 100Mhz... Trés odd.

Stuck the old Alu HSF on and posted up in 133 no probs and the 8rGA managed to squeeze the Palomino up to 2000+ whilst keeping temps down to 38 under load.

Put the waterblock back on, drops back to 100Mhz, I have lapped and mirror polished the waterblock and still no avail and I have also checked for warping and such, a pretty good surface, checked for air gap on mounting, full contact with die etc, just won't run fast.

One thing about the Tt block mounting K7 clip is it is not very "firm" in my mind and after a while the block can slip down the CPU socket as it doesn't grip as tight as a normal clip in my view, is there a sensor or something that tells the board of a improperly installed HSF?

Any ideas..?

I have also picked up two 1700+ XP's off eBay, one is a AUIGA and the other is a JUIHB, I stuck the AUIGA in, worked it up to 2200+ spec on 1.65V, running brilliantly and under full load and air is only hitting 37 max (with Prime, Azureus, Browser, Media Player and NFS MW running in background)

My question is how far should I attempt to push this CPU? I pretty much know what the JIUHB will do but the AUIGA is a cool running CPU. It is an "A" so its a mixed bag as fa as I know but it is with the dual looped water system that I hope to use the JIUHB to get my name up on the leader board.

Since losing my XP-M I am mindful of being careful now but I must say that this 8rGA has exceeded my expectations and as far as I am concerned beats the flighty and temperamental Abits into the ground.

(If anyone wants two AN7's (Abit do repair them in the UK for £12 I heard) let me know, both stuck on Post 80 problem.)

AO

EPoX 8rGA nForce 2 MCP-T NB
Crappy bog standard Ally block with copper slugged bottom and standard 80mm fan
1GB DDR400
s3 s8 Nitro Fanless 256Mb AGP
1700+ XP AUIGA stepping running at 13.5*133 (500Mhz PR over stock)
2*80 Rear Fans
1*120mm Front Intake
Side Intake = 80mm high RPM intake with a 80mm to 120mm adaptor and AKasa UV high RPM 120mm (blasts the RAM/NB, HDD and part of the CPU cooler with really cool air)
Northbridge: Crappy EPoX HS fitted with Thermaltake Extreme Spirit Jet fan

Soldato
Sorry to hijack your thread (consider it a bump ;) ) but those cpu's would be much appreciated on the folding at home team. See sig.

Wierd about the waterblock, were the temps ok?
I can't imagine it would have a pressure sensor or anything.

Back
Top Bottom