Why would "getting out the wrong side of bed" make somebody moody?

Soldato
Tru said:
Are you autistic or something? It's a figure of speech, not to be taken literally.

Witty! :p Witty, but lacking manners... since you like language I am sure that you noticed that the OP was a common method at finding a polite way to start a conversation at a topic.

Last edited:
Associate
WRONG SIDE OF THE BED
[Q] From Jim on AOL: “I was hoping you could help me out. You’ve heard about getting out of the wrong side of bed? What is considered the wrong side? And could you give me a little history on the saying?”

[A] The wrong side of the bed is the one that leaves you grumpy and unsociable first thing in the morning (my own has two wrong sides). There are many similar expressions that begin the wrong side of ..., of which the original seems to be wrong side of the blanket for a child born illegitimately. Some others are getting on the wrong side of somebody, the wrong side of the law, laughing on the wrong side of one’s mouth, and on the wrong side of forty (or thirty, or fifty, or almost any age, really).

All express the idea that there are good and bad aspects of any situation. A well-known American example, the wrong side of the tracks, is the only one of the set that seems to be based in a real, physical location.

Some writers say there was once a superstition that to get out of bed on the left side, the sinister side, led to bad luck, but this sounds like a well-meaning attempt to explain the mysterious. If there ever was such a belief, it’s not reflected in the recorded use of the expression, which is actually not that old; it seems to have been derived from another phrase of similar type.

just something i found via googling

Last edited:

Tru

Tru

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Witty! :p Witty, but lacking manners... since you like language I am sure that you noticed that the OP was a common method at finding a polite way to start a conversation at a topic.

I just get frustrated with all the stupid question threads.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Spunj99 said:
Because I've seen GD get gradually worse over last couple of years and it's partly because crap like this is tolerated.
jezsoup said:
Do like the rest and dont reply then:/
I think it's healthy to receive negative feedback on a thread, as well as positive contributions, it encourages self-moderation.
cleanbluesky said:
But 90% of the boards are based on this nosence... thats a lot of frustration
I disagree. If some people just made a bit of effort, the quality of GD would quickly improve.

Soldato
jidh007 said:
Because if his or her bed is against a wall, they wake up and dive head first into the wall, perhaps.

this puzzles me, do you dive out of bed in the morning :confused:
do you sleep next to a swimming pool perchance?

my bed is next to the wall, and attempting to get out of the bed on the wrong side does indeed leave me in a bad mood for the rest of the day, usually with concussion too! actually went to hospital after attempting it once, i knocked myself out!

Caporegime
If I got out on the wrong side of the bed I'd have to climb over my wife which she probably wouldn't appreciate, which might lead to her punching me in the nuts. I think I'd probably be in a pretty bad mood after that.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom