Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Associate
I use chrome only because it allows me to use tabs even with an authentication popup box. Firefox puts it on top and I have to use another instance to copy pasta the auth credentials.

It's a work thing.

Soldato
containerised tabs alone make firefox the only browser worth considering, especially for work as i'm in and out of different AWS accounts or Azure tennants. Its mega.

Soldato
containerised ?
Sorry multi account containers its properly called.

Means i can define "containers" such as:
Personal
work
client A
client B

with colour codes and symbols, and then i can open links into that container. For example i can open AWS in tab (client A) and tab (client B) and my tokens and SSO etc is bound to that container. so no need to account switch, or have multiple firefox profiles/windows.

The only thing i do have is firefox standard edition with my personal profile, bookmarks etc.

Then firefox dev edition, with my work account, bookmarks etc. They have different container needs. You can set certain domains to always open in a specific "container" such as facebook.

Soldato
]Sorry multi account containers its properly called
I run multiple instances of the browser each with their profiles, for general versus, security(banking) sites

Guardian -
Guardian web site, periodically shows cpu loading for me, there is some kind of timer in their crap code, so I usually unload the tab when I've finished reading the page,
I use an automatic unloader extension in chrome (currently set to 30s) but haven't yet searched for similar in FF.

Soldato
I run multiple instances of the browser each with their profiles, for general versus, security(banking) sites

Guardian web site, periodically shows cpu loading for me, there is some kind of timer in their crap code, so I usually unload the tab when I've finished reading the page,
I use an automatic unloader extension in chrome (currently set to 30s) but haven't yet searched for similar in FF.

That was a red herring - never read Guardian in my life :D

Soldato
Why? You can do that through one instance using Firefox containers for each website or group of websites.
I'd not read about containers before, but it seems, mechanism is cookie oriented, and they just prevent 3rd party cookies being shared ?
I already prevent 3rd party cookies being written too, and wouldn't use sites that require that for their functionality.
https://www.ghacks.net/2020/02/24/what-are-firefox-containers/

the compromise/breech I am concerned with is fake java code from non-acredited sources being introduced into the session, which might impact/monitor other tabs, so consequently I just run a completely separate browser session for accessing banks, with no prospect of cross-contamination;
equally extensions that may have gone rogue, per the other thread; to wit my banking browser config is paired down, just ublocko.

Soldato
I'd not read about containers before, but it seems, mechanism is cookie oriented, and they just prevent 3rd party cookies being shared ?

That's too simplistic a view. The link you posted explains it fully, but essentially any domain linked to a container is wholly bound/jailed to that container. Facebook Container is baked into Firefox already, which means as far as Facebook/Instagram/WhatsApp knows, they're the only site you ever visited.

It's physically impossible for them to follow you around the web, as even on third party websites, any Facebook code/cookies/pixels/domains are likewise opened statically inside the container. It's a very powerful anti-tracking tool, though made somewhat (not completely) redundant now by the privacy.firstparty.isolate setting. As well as being useful for anti-tracking, they're also handy for keeping accounts separate. Work/personal, customer A and customer B, whatever.

Soldato
I'm using Firefox these days, really enjoying it! Although I find some of their decision making questionable. For example, they're approving addons for mobile and the Bitwarden addon has only been approved for the nightly build, but that build really bugs out when trying to type into the OcUK wysiwyg forum editor. So now I'm using the beta without the addon which is frustrating.

Although I must say, my good opinion of Firefox for Android doesn't appear to be shared by the majority of others based on the reviews it received. But then again, I started using it when the Preview became the Firefox for Android base so I didn't have any experience of what FF was like before.

Soldato
It's physically impossible for them to follow you around the web
maybe ! elaborating further - I don't think allowing any bank site access to share the same process virtual memory space, as, say accessing autotrader, or john lewis, is sensible.
if you have a separate firefox invocation, for bank, the o/s is helping reduce any 'contamination', with some inter-process memory protection

edit: yes you could be ultra cautionary and have a separate laptop to access the bank, but for the negilgible time is takes, that, degree of separation between banking and others is a precaution I take.

Soldato
OP
I did find an issue yesterday on Firefox latest version on windows.

I was browsing a Sekiro walkthrough here and I found on my Windows 10 3570k system that the browser was often showing the "a script is slowing this webpage down" message.

I then fired by Edge and got no such message. Nor in Chrome or Brave (which I was experimenting with)

I wonder if my 3570k system is starting to show signs of age and the single threaded nature of FF is starting to cause issues on this older system.

No such issues in the Chromium based browsers though.

Soldato

I was browsing a Sekiro walkthrough here and I found on my Windows 10 3570k system that the browser was often showing the "a script is slowing this webpage down" message.

I then fired by Edge and got no such message. Nor in Chrome or Brave (which I was experimenting with)

I wonder if my 3570k system is starting to show signs of age and the single threaded nature of FF is starting to cause issues on this older system.

Pretty sure Firefox uses multiple threads now?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/performance-settings

V F

V F

Soldato

I'll check later to see how my 3770k handles it.

Back
Top Bottom