Wi-Fi Help! [Solved]

Associate
Hi all,

I recently built my first PC, and I’m looking to upgrade the Wi-Fi it emits (as a hotspot). I’m currently using the antenna that came with the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (which I understand also helps with bluetooth connectivity), but it’s feeble in comparison to the iMac I used to use. What are my upgrade options?

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Why are you choosing to do this? It's something that can occasionally be useful, but you're usually better off with a dedicated wireless access point.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply!

That is exactly why — ease. My Virgin hub sits at the other end of my house, and I'm connected by a powerline adapter. Is there a wireless access point you'd recommend?

I'm sure it isn't the positioning; I've had it everywhere, including sitting atop my PC case. The signal certainly improves, but it's still fairly weak (compared to what I'm used to).

Soldato
Bottom line is its a radio. So there are really only a few parts that can make a difference. The Intel 9260 chipset on that motherboard is used in several applications so we can probably rule out the signal processor and the transmit and receive amplifiers. That really only leaves the antenna. So either the antenna is just a bad design (possible), it’s defective (very possible), you’ve positioned it badly (still my favourite) or there is another source of signal interference that is causing the signal to be poorly propagated (maybe).

I’m also assuming you’ve not left the antenna cable coiled up behind the computer? That can be horrendous for induction.

Associate
OP
With humility I have to report that it was I who was defective (though not in terms of its positioning). The network band I was using (or rather, the band it defaulted to) was 5GHz; after switching it to 2.4GHz, I’ve enjoyed the range I was after. Nonetheless, thanks for the help @WJA96! Much appreciated. And apologies for the late response.

Back
Top Bottom