Wierd Dreaming/Sleeping Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I have lucid dreams very regularly, the only time i get them is i the morning when i have woken up then drifted back off again. They are quite hard to control and usually dont last long because you are aware of what is going on and you get excited, meaning your heary rate goes up waking you up.

Its awful when you have a really good one and you can feel yourself waking up. I also find eating lots of cheese gave me lucid dreams, i dont know why but i ate quite a bit of it the other night as i had the munchies from drinking, and i had several lucid dreams in one night which is very rare for me.

Controlling them is also quite hard, for example if you walk up to someone in your lucid dream and want them to do something or ask them a question, there answer totally depends on your thoughts. If you have a split second thought of them doing something it will happen. So for instance if i was in a dream and asked a stunning girl to marry me, i want her to say yes but she may not, again it all depends on you train of thought.

Its very hard to explain but once you start having lucid dreams they become easier to control. At the moment mine dont last longer than about 15mins at the most and im trying to make them last longer. As soon as you loose focus in the dream you begin to wake up and one you start waking up its almost impossible to stop. If you do manage to stop you usually carry on dreaming but its no longer Lucid

Last edited:
Associate
Im not so sure on lucid dreams,cheese causes indigestion,a problem stomach is likely to cause disturbed sleep.

Lucid dreams could be just dreaming about knowing your dreaming,in other words you dont know you are dreaming,you just think you know but its part of the dream.

The fact it dont happen all the time tells you its connected with parapsychological phenomena such as hypnogogic,OOBE's,
alien abduction,seeing ghosts,feeling of flying,general hallucinations.

Hypnogogic can be auditory or visual hallucinations at rest state towards sleep or even waking dreams which i conclude are what causes people to lose time,think they have been abducted,see ghosts etc,and what causes disturbed sleep.

Sleep walking is related to this because normally your body goes virtually paralised to prevent you acting out your dreams.

Some time the opposite is true,you can wake up but be paralised,this is extremely frightning,you know you are awake but all you can do is move your eyes,and the only sound you can hear is whooshing,buzzing noises.

OOBE's i think come from a mixture of lucid and sleep paralysis,your body is paralised but your in a half dream state near lucidity and theres that connection momentarily where you think you are outside your body.

Associate
I suppose this kinda qualifies as weird

I've never remembered a single dream in my whole life, the only thing i remember are my nightmares which tend to revolve around falling (i've had the same nightmare so many times it's just not funny any more).

Permabanned
I used to lucid dream quite a bit. I duno how i used to induce it, but I would just notice things in my dream that didn't make sense. It just used to make my mind 'click' and made me think 'oh, I must be dreaming'.

Some cool things that should be tried when you are ludid dreaming are...

Look at your hands.
Find / create a mirror and look in it.
Try to read a book.
And.... Fly :)

Flying is great, you just have to push yourself off the ground and you shoot up into the sky. There is no better feeling than doing a loop-the-loop with the wind rushing through your hair :)

Unfortunatly, I don't even remember my dreams nowadays, let alone have a lucid dream. The last few lucid dreams I had were very short... I really had problems holding myself in the dream. It was a bit weird... When I realised I was lucid dreaming, the dream seemed to fade away and I would wake up.

Ah well. Since then i've discovered that reality can be damn good fun as well ;)

Soldato
The past two nights I've attempted lucid dreaming. It almost worked the first time, but I've found an odd thing happens when I wake up. I check my Virgin Mobile horoscope and it tells me what just happened in my dream. So basically my dreams are predicting my horoscopes :)

1st time I was trying to have a lucid dream, and almost worked. I woke up to "You have unkown powers. Shape events as they play out"

The 2nd night, I dreampt I met a nice girl. I woke to find "You will find love". :D

Permabanned
This is kind of bizarre as I thought this wasn't very common. I can honestly say from the ages of ten through to thirteen I could control my dreams every night. I used to really look forward to going to sleep every single night. The moment I started dreaming, I'd thinki to myself "Okay - I'm dreaming now, what shall I do?". As you can imagine, I had great fun.

I recently had one for the first time in many years.

My favourite trick was to cross my legs and go off flying (Too much playing Dhalsim on SF2 as a kid I think).

On a side note, I STILL dream about my teeth falling out, plus I've occassionally dreamt about dreaming of my teeth falling out, dreaming that I woke up out of the dream I was dreaming about, and my teeth were still out!! If you see what I mean...

Majik

Associate
Originally posted by Vai
I used to get sleep paralysis once every so often a few years ago, most of the time I would wake up in a semi-conscious with my face down struggling to breath, one of the scariest things I have ever had,
terrifying would be a better word, sleep paralysis is often accompanied by vivid and frankly hideous hallucinations.
I would not recommend that anyone who normally gets a good nights sleep start messing around with their dreams.

Just do a google for hypnopompic and hypnogogic hallucinations, and narcolepsy, of which sleep paralysis is a tertiary symptom. Read a lot and you'll find a lot of stuff which puts you off the "lucid" wonderful dreams. Control of these dreams is illusory, especially if you have consumed an excess of alcohol, caffiene, THC, LSD, virtually any narcotic.

However... a company called meta creations, meta tools, life tools, or something like that used to market a device called a nova dreamer. Basically it has wee pressure pads in a mask you wear over your eyes, when it picks up REM eyeball movement it sets off a very soft chime in your ear.. after 3 or 4 nights it suddenly clicks in your head what the chime means and *BANG* you're aware your dreaming and off you go to have lucid dreams every night for as long as you want. But imo it screws you up. If you sleep easy at night, keep it that way.

I also believed that people with recallable, or lucid dreams were in a minority, and people who had sleep events like walking or paralysis were even less common.. maybe spending too much time in front of your PC does it to you ? ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Nana
terrifying would be a better word, sleep paralysis is often accompanied by vivid and frankly hideous hallucinations.
I would not recommend that anyone who normally gets a good nights sleep start messing around with their dreams.

Just do a google for hypnopompic and hypnogogic hallucinations, and narcolepsy, of which sleep paralysis is a tertiary symptom. Read a lot and you'll find a lot of stuff which puts you off the "lucid" wonderful dreams. Control of these dreams is illusory, especially if you have consumed an excess of alcohol, caffiene, THC, LSD, virtually any narcotic.

However... a company called meta creations, meta tools, life tools, or something like that used to market a device called a nova dreamer. Basically it has wee pressure pads in a mask you wear over your eyes, when it picks up REM eyeball movement it sets off a very soft chime in your ear.. after 3 or 4 nights it suddenly clicks in your head what the chime means and *BANG* you're aware your dreaming and off you go to have lucid dreams every night for as long as you want. But imo it screws you up. If you sleep easy at night, keep it that way.

I also believed that people with recallable, or lucid dreams were in a minority, and people who had sleep events like walking or paralysis were even less common.. maybe spending too much time in front of your PC does it to you ? ;)

a very good point. i saw a documentry on Narcolepsy and catoplexy, the latter of which is complete paralysis accompanied by hallucinations. this one women was chronichally catoplectic and whenever she had an attack she was paralysed in bed and then she woudl imagine hearing someone approaching up her stairs. this would result in such intense fear as she coudl not move but thought she coudl hear someoen coming closer and closer.

i dont think i can imagine fear like it (and i have been in some scary situations, which include having a baretta 9mm stuffed into my face!)

Associate
Originally posted by Nana

That nova dreamer is about £250,essentially all it is is a eye mask with a couple of led's and speaker.

The expensive part is the sensors and microchips which recognise when your in rem sleep.

I was thinking of getting one with the computer interface,hook it up to a laptop and study the rem state.

Id say its better as a study tool,if that kind of thing is of great interest.

Makes sense to me,amazing how little people are bothered about dreams,i mean you spend 1/3rd or more of your life asleep for christsakes,being able to control that part better than you can real life should be important,
sleep is obviously important,i mean just 36 hours without sleep and you start to lose IQ points fast,and cant do much physically.

Heres the thing,the important bit:
we do need to sleep,thats 100% definate

but we have no need to dream!!!

Thats right,there is absolutely no need for nature to have given,or shall i say picked up/recieved/sense/have this ability.

People have theorized for a long time,but we dont know exactly why we dream,thats the truth,we know it happens in rem sleep but thats about it.

Now memory and dreams is the other important bit,
i have had several dreams where upon wakening i am confused,because in the dream it was apparent i had memory of the events surrounding the dream,when i awake im confused cos there not my memories.

Now memorys in dreams is actually the same as waking life,try and think about everything you have done in the last 10 hours,
and all you see is glimpses,shadows,most of it is in bits and its selective,you only seem to remember specifically things which stand out or stick in your mind,like youre unlikely to remember every detail like rewinding a tape of when you had a bath last week,but you still know you had a bath.

Upon awakening from a dream it seems the same but a little more distant,over the day you may recall parts of the dream,you can also train the mind to remember more,i find this odd.

Soldato
I have experienced astral projection about 10 times, after it happened about 4-5 times i started to be able to control the direction i was floating, it hasn't happened for ages now but is great when it does.

JAM

Soldato
Thanks to this thread i had a lucid dream last night. The first thing i tried when i realised it was a dream was flying. But it seemed i couldn't quite stay up in the air indefinately because i kept falling down (it was quite high!). Which was quite cool because it was scary falling but of course when i landed with a big thud, I was not hurt at all. Then i tried to see if i could make some girls come into the dream. *Ahem* I think i'll skip forward a bit. I ended up playing cards with some of my friends and i could feel that i was going to wake up soon. So i thought i'd try a little card trick before i woke up. I looked at the bottom card in the pack, it was a 3, and then turned the pack over so i couldn't see it and tried to turn it into a 2. Turned the pack over again and voila, it was a 2.

All in all a very interesting experience.

Associate
I used to have a recurring dream/nightmare when i was a 'young un' it involved a huge metal sphere chasing me across a vast space which looked exactely like the world of Tron, i could never get any further away from the sphere no matter how fast i ran, however i could never stop myself from running, eventually the sphere would catch up to me and just as it was about to crush me i would wake up........fortunately i haven't had this dream for a good 10 years or so, i can still remember it very clearly though

this might freak you out now.........
Sometimes i dream what might happen a few days into the future....for instance i might dream about an interview on telly and i know what sequence of events are going to happen or what question is going to be asked next, but when i'm watching it a few days later if i consously think about what they are going to say, they say something completely different, if i don't remember that i dreamt it when watching it, then it happens just as i dreamt it.

Now imagine this........what the hell do i do when i see a Lottery result...this has yet to happen!

Soldato
i was in france with my mate and his girlfriend (she's not his gf in the "real world" she's actually a girl i have a crush on) and we where in paris...then her father was there...and i was somehow...protecting them? :confused:

Associate
I've recently come to realise that I only remember my dreams when I have had an excessive amount of sleep. They also tend to be quite daft.

The last one I remember was the other night. I dreamt that Piggymon was teaching me how to skateboard. I reckon the reason for this was the fact that I was actually stopping over at her house at the time, and we'd been watching Jackass and Dirty Sanchez all weekend, both of which feature lots of skating clips.

Very odd.

Permabanned
I astrally project, and hallucinate when I was deprived of sleep.

I've also had those dreams where you dream you wake up and carry on dreaming :confused:

I dream often that my teeth are falling out but thats probably cos I have manky teeth anyway ;)

Soldato
Top thread.

I have had some great dreams and used to entertain my mates all the time at school (some years ago) with the super vivid dreams I used to have about the current inhabitants of my spankbank :p

On a more serious note, I often have dreams where I am aware of them being dreams. One frequently recurring sign is when a friend pops up who killed himself when he/we were 18/19. Strangely he must appear in my dreams about once a month. This is odd as I don't really find his death troubling now.

Anyway on to the best evar dream.

The geeks among us will no doubt be familiar with the Ian Livingstone/Steve Jackson fighting fantasy role playing books. A favourite of mine when I was young was Appointment with F.E.A.R.. This involved a superhero who could choose from a number of powers. I had a dream I was that superhero and flying was my power. It was amazing, I could control everything. I remember being annoyed when my Dad woke me up - I was wrestling a shark, and loving every minute!

Man of Honour
Me and my girlfriend had exactly the same dream once.

We woke up at the same time - she was screaming from her dream, i was gently but scarily attacking her in real life due to my dream!!:eek: :eek:

Was pretty scarey tbh.

Mal

Soldato
Agreed, top thread.

Well, I do have lucid dreams quite often, but there is something which i find really weird in my 'dream'.
I am in a big hall, about 100 meters across, and there is a friend(who exactly i dont know) and we are standing at sides:
PHP:
x                                                                          x

But i try my best to look *directly* at him, but i can't get my eyes to focus on him, i can see him from a side view, and top down, but not directly in-front. It is quite annoying as i keep trying to focus on him and see him directly but cannot seem to do it. I wonder what i would see f i finally managed it

Soldato
I sometimes have dreams where i can't look at things properly. It's like im so tired that i cant keep my eyes open and i can only briefly look at something before my eyes close completely. And of course when i open them again, whatever i was looking at has usually changed into something else.

Soldato
I used to dream all the time. Hardly eve dream now that I can remember.

One dream was very D&D like. I distinctly remember it as it starts off in an old abandoned church with the wind and dark clouds in the sky making it all feel drawn in. First thing I think is why are we here.. dragon (actually Tearmat). I remember needing a book to burrow a hole through water (not divide just make a tube).

I've had many pre-deja vu type of dreams where the situation is very vivid that I remember them even now.

Another spooky thing. We where on the train back from Tribal Gathering and a girl in the chair opposite me on the train. She fell asleep.
We got to the train stop and without thinking I leaned over and said to her "I believe this is your stop". She stirred opened her eyes and look about.. bingo.. she confirmed it was actually her stop..
She looked appropriately freaked out as she didn't take her eyes off me as she walked off the train and walked up the side of the carrage on the platform. (not in a bad way but in a how the hell did you know? look)
I'd never met, seen or talked to her before but something just make it feel it was the right thing to do.. having grown up with the same feeling a few times in the past I'll act on it without thinking now.

Only thing I can think of is subconcously that I read her attitude/dress/appearance as beening london based rather than more out in the stixx. /shug dunno

One reason why I probably don't dream much is that I normally focus on emptying my mind, think of nothing and see 'black' nothingness.. If I don't I won't sleep because my brain is still racing and starts on thinking about work, software engineering or physics etc that I may have read about that day.

I may start focusing on a static thing, situation or person and see if it causes any dreams.. I'll try it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom