Wifi Router With Easy QoS Recommendations Please!!!

Associate
Hello,

I am rather illiterate with my knowledge on routers, so I hope the following makes sense.

I have temporarily moved in with parents while waiting for my new house to be ready in 3 months, so my budget is maximum £100, but the lower the better as I will only need it for this limited time.

Unfortunately, they live in a relatively large house where I am unable to connect via ethernet, so I must be able to use my laptop for gaming using WiFi.

They currently use a BT Smart Hub, with download speed of around 35 mbs and upload of 9 mbs. The problem, is that they seem to have some weird addiction with having as many technological devices connected to WiFi as possible. So my current experience is that I am struggling to play a single game of anything without lag spikes or packet loss. They have a total of around 14 devices connected at any given time (from recollection: x3 phones, x2 ipad, x3 smart tv, x1 Amazon Fire Stick, x2 smart hubs on different tvs, wifi cctv camera, amazon alexa, my laptop), with 2 TVs constantly streaming throughout the evening.

I have tried using a Wifi TP Link but this did not change anything. So my friend suggested I get a router where I can prioritise my laptop to have the most stable connection.

To summarise. Firstly, will a router with QoS solve my situation?

If so, secondly, due to my circumstances only lasting around 3 months and due to my lack of technical knowledge, I need one that is relatively cheap but also very easy to configure, such as A) Whack my computer's IP address in. B) Select 'Highest Priority')

Any help is much appreciated!

Soldato
QoS will not solve your problem. QoS will manage the bandwidth but this will not improve your wireless problems.
I'm not familiar with the smart hub but if it is dual band, try to put "low end" devices on 2.4Ghz and better more bandwidth hungry things onto 5Ghz providing they get good signal.

If you get 1 device with bad signal the entire wireless network will slow down to the MCS rate of that device whilst it communicates so ensuring good strong signal to all is the solution.

Maybe cabling an additional AP in to the smart hub and then connecting "only" your devices to the AP would be a decent enough solution and at least you could take the AP with you to your new place.

Soldato
I'd be trying a set of Powerline adapters. They're no replacement for an actual network cable but could be a better option than wireless in this situation.

Associate
OP
QoS will not solve your problem. QoS will manage the bandwidth but this will not improve your wireless problems.
I'm not familiar with the smart hub but if it is dual band, try to put "low end" devices on 2.4Ghz and better more bandwidth hungry things onto 5Ghz providing they get good signal.

If you get 1 device with bad signal the entire wireless network will slow down to the MCS rate of that device whilst it communicates so ensuring good strong signal to all is the solution.

Maybe cabling an additional AP in to the smart hub and then connecting "only" your devices to the AP would be a decent enough solution and at least you could take the AP with you to your new place.

Thank you for your very helpful response. By 'AP' I;m guessing that means access point, does this mean a router? If I understand this correctly, I should cable a separate router into my Smart Hub, then cable my laptop to the new router?

Thanks again

Associate
OP
I'd be trying a set of Powerline adapters. They're no replacement for an actual network cable but could be a better option than wireless in this situation.

Thanks,

I thought I had purchased this when I mentioned I tried a TP Link, but I didn't realise I had just bought the single wireless plug that I can connect an ethernet to. I will certainly give this a go.

Back
Top Bottom