1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WiFi Woes

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Fakel1ty, 14 Jan 2006.

1. Fakel1ty

Associate

I have a desktop and a laptop, the desktop is connected to the internet via a USB modem. It also has a WiFi card installed which I use in Soft AP mode to allow my wireless laptop to connect to the internet, and share files/print etc.

This has been working fine for ages, but today for no apparent reason the laptop can no longer connect to the web, but can access files on the desktop.

Internet Connection sharing is enabled, and the default gateway is still 192.168.0.1, but the laptop cannot ping the gateway.

I know a little about networking, but I'm running out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

2. benjo plz.

Capodecina

What about the DNS on the laptop?

3. Fakel1ty

Associate

empty

same as desktop

4. benjo plz.

Capodecina

On the laptop, set the IP to 192.168.0.5 and then set the DNS to 192.168.0.1 and the Wins to 192.168.0.1

5. Fakel1ty

Associate

does seem to have made a difference - file access is fine, but no internet access

6. benjo plz.

Capodecina

Sounds like its the ICS on the Desktop, you'll need to reset it.

7. Fakel1ty

Associate

It seems Windows OneCare Beta has done something. Just turned off firewall on desktop and the laptop is working now