Wii becomes UK's fastest-selling home console ever

Associate
DEL 707 said:
It doesnt even have next gen graphics!!!

Can you send those to me, I suck at making Mii's and would like to play Tennis with Hitler :p

I'll add you tonight, my friend number is in the friend code thread. The Hitler and the Stalin are ok, Lenin could use a bit of work though. :p

Soldato
Dunno about you lot, but I tend to take anything from Wikipedia with a pinch of salt. 17 million PSPs...? O RLY? I think it's more likely that the last edit to that page was done by a PSP fanboy who could have had a great career as an accountant at Enron.

Soldato
Nickg said:
so we have seen virtually double the quantity of sales since the NES days.

also, the GBA has been out for 6 years almost, the DS only for 2 years and we still havent seen a genuine Pokemon game yet!

i have no doubt the GBA sales were boosted MASSIVELY by pokemon, the same will happen with the DS
I was considering combining numbers like that, but it's not really fair to assume that more sales = more people buying consoles, because it ignores the possibility of people buying more than one console (and that the DC and Saturn both came out halfway through the change in console generations).

And my point about the DS and GBA was concerning the original GBA, not all sales of the GBA as an entire system (GBA, SP and Micro). The original GBA was out for two years before the SP replaced it, and the DS (in both forms) has been out that long by itself, and yet sold less than the original GBA.

Pokemon is a good point though, and if they manage the same kind of hype machine the first series got, it will help. It's not a certainty it'll ship tons though, nothing is.

GarethDW said:
Dunno about you lot, but I tend to take anything from Wikipedia with a pinch of salt. 17 million PSPs...? O RLY? I think it's more likely that the last edit to that page was done by a PSP fanboy who could have had a great career as an accountant at Enron.
Oh give over. You do realise that Wikipedia articles have to be sourced, and that all the sales figures on there are?

http://www.playstation.com/business.html

EDIT: It does say that all the Sony figures are based on units shipped rather than sold, so direct your Sony-hating ire towards the company if you must, but it's still a fairly valid figure. They're hardly going to continue to ship untis out if they're not getting sold.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Weebull said:
I was considering combining numbers like that, but it's not really fair to assume that more sales = more people buying consoles, because it ignores the possibility of people buying more than one console (and that the DC and Saturn both came out halfway through the change in console generations).

And my point about the DS and GBA was concerning the original GBA, not all sales of the GBA as an entire system (GBA, SP and Micro). The original GBA was out for two years before the SP replaced it, and the DS (in both forms) has been out that long by itself, and yet sold less than the original GBA.

your right it is an assumption. However the assumption is that the market is growing, i.e total $$$ spent on that product type is increasing. the numbers confirm this.

RE GBA< i was under the impression that was the total sales for all GBA variants inc SP and Micro.. infact checking again, wiki states that the 76million

"as of September 30, 2006 (all versions):[1] 76.79 million (worldwide)"

which kinda shows the DS to be in good shape sales wise.

Soldato
Weebull said:
Oh give over. You do realise that Wikipedia articles have to be sourced, and that all the sales figures on there are?

EDIT: It does say that all the Sony figures are based on units shipped rather than sold, so direct your Sony-hating ire towards the company if you must, but it's still a fairly valid figure. They're hardly going to continue to ship untis out if they're not getting sold.
Heh, it's hardly as if Wikipedia hasn't had it's fair share of problems with disreputable edits ;)

As for Sony-hating ire... I don't hate Sony at all (it was a lighthearted dig at Wikipedia, not at Sony :rolleyes: ). I was expressing my surprise - kinda like yourself really - that a so-called failure has apparently sold 17M units. I've got no idea how many have shipped... could very well be 17M.

Permabanned
Weebull said:

Do you think people can't put false info on wikipedia, either innocently or maliciously? :confused: It's wikipedia's achilles heel.

Soldato
Regardless of wikipedia figures, Nintendo went back to basics and provided something easy, accessible, fun and affordable.

Cries of poor graphics
Xbox like specs
Expensive despite being affordable as Nintendo makes a profit on each machine sold have only resulted in the machine....

…. being sold faster then any other UK console at launch. I say, kudos Nintendo, lets hope it lasts, and Wii has a long and successful lifetime, not bad for an upgraded gamecube.

Plus, you get a work out, and save on gym fees….. LOL

Associate
It says 17mil shipped for the PSP?
I thought it was more like 22m shipped based on news articles on IGN and the like.

If it is only 17m shipped then its probably more like 14m sold. Still a suprisingly small gap considering the way the DS has been outselling the PSP for the last year or so, especially since the DS Lite was released.

Either way, the games industry as a whole is definitely growing. Growing quite a lot too in terms of revenue. Apparently it is now bigger than both the film & music industries combined?? not sure if its true but i read it somewhere.

Caporegime
iv-tecman said:
Regardless of wikipedia figures, Nintendo went back to basics and provided something easy, accessible, fun and affordable.

Cries of poor graphics
Xbox like specs
Expensive despite being affordable as Nintendo makes a profit on each machine sold have only resulted in the machine....

…. being sold faster then any other UK console at launch. I say, kudos Nintendo, lets hope it lasts, and Wii has a long and successful lifetime, not bad for an upgraded gamecube.

so .. let me get this right... your commending nintendo for in effect profiteering. they would have sold the same + maybe even more if they hadnt, so i dont really understand why that is a kudos at all?

Soldato
Nickg said:
so .. let me get this right... your commending nintendo for in effect profiteering. they would have sold the same + maybe even more if they hadnt, so i dont really understand why that is a kudos at all?

No

I’m saying Nintendo offered something that everyone can enjoy, and if you aren’t happy to pay the price, then don’t play.

If Nintendo decided to make a profit, and you have to remember importing into the UK will result in a net increase of unit price for the UK buyer, then this is good business, and helps get funds into the company for further R & D.

I guess they should do the same as MS or Sony, and produce a machine at loss, in a hope to gain in software sales? Yep, I can see that catching on, I’d perhaps do the same.

The machine is still affordable, and enjoyable and for this Kudos. I don’t particularly care that you think it’s a rip, why should I? I’m happy to pay the asking price, £180 and I’ve had plenty of fun, as has the family so that’s all that matters.

Oh, and if it’d been £400 then yes, that is blatant profiteering, but for the sake of what it costs for importing to the unit to the UK, + VAT and I wonder just how much Nintendo really does make per unit?

Permabanned
iv-tecman said:
No

I’m saying Nintendo offered something that everyone can enjoy, and if you aren’t happy to pay the price, then don’t play.

If Nintendo decided to make a profit, and you have to remember importing into the UK will result in a net increase of unit price for the UK buyer, then this is good business, and helps get funds into the company for further R & D.

I guess they should do the same as MS or Sony, and produce a machine at loss, in a hope to gain in software sales? Yep, I can see that catching on, I’d perhaps do the same.

The machine is still affordable, and enjoyable and for this Kudos. I don’t particularly care that you think it’s a rip, why should I? I’m happy to pay the asking price, £180 and I’ve had plenty of fun, as has the family so that’s all that matters.

Oh, and if it’d been £400 then yes, that is blatant profiteering, but for the sake of what it costs for importing to the unit to the UK, + VAT and I wonder just how much Nintendo really does make per unit?

So when Nintendo sell a machine for a fat profit they deserve Kudos but when Sony sell a console at a loss they deserve to be crucified... erm...

Permabanned
james.miller said:
If sony made a profit the view on sony would remain the same. its not whether they make a loss or a profit, its how much kit you get for the money and how much it costs overall.
If Sony sold a console for £180 which had performance around PS2 level and made a profit, I wonder what people here would say...

Soldato
they'd ask what warrants the price when it does what a ps2 does? they'd also say 'sod that, it isnt built round montion sensing from the ground up like the wii'. The control method is more advanced than anything we've seen in a console to date, but because it isnt graphics its not important enough to a lot of people, and surprise surprise you're one of them.

as it stands the ps2 is great value. *shock* something nice about sony. now how does your argument look? for once, i wish you'd stop this nonsense. you've taken every opportunity to slate the wii, but as soon as somebody mentions sony (or even when they dont, such as this thread) you're on the defensive. its getting boring.

Last edited:
Soldato
dirtydog said:
So when Nintendo sell a machine for a fat profit they deserve Kudos but when Sony sell a console at a loss they deserve to be crucified... erm...

Sony doesn’t deserve to be crucified. I owned PS1 and PS2 and enjoyed them. A little overpriced when I first purchased, but still outstanding games consoles. And I paid the price, and didn’t grumble.. It performed, and that’s what mattered at the time.

But the formula is old, Nintendo took the home games console to a new level, and are reaping the benefits. They have released a console that sells, makes a profit and puts the fun back into playing games…

Sour grapes maybe?

Nintendo, Sony and MS are out for one thing only, to make a profit. Nintendo have done this from the outset with the Wii, and now everyone goes, its costing too much, I want it for free..

Wah wah… I can’t copy the games, I can’t get it cheaper, Nintendo makes too much profit.. Man, how pathetic. And how pathetic for me to even rise to this, and back chat back on what is simple business.

They need to make profit, it’s all they want to do, and Nintendo seem to be doing this, and if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s simple really.

Soldato
james.miller said:
they'd ask what warrants the price when it does what a ps2 does? they'd also say 'sod that, it isnt built round montion sensing from the ground up like the wii' the control method is more advanced than anything we've seen in a console to date, but because it isnt graphics its not important enough to a lot of people, and surprise surprise you're one of them.

as it stands the ps2 is great value. *shock* something nice about sony. now how does your argument look? for once, i wish you'd stop this nonsense. you've taken every opportunity to slate the wii, but as soon as somebody mentions sony (or even when they dont, such as this thread) you're on the defensive. its getting boring.

Kudos to you mate... Well put, well put my man...

Permabanned
james.miller said:
they'd ask what warrants the price when it does what a ps2 does? they'd also say 'sod that, it isnt built round montion sensing from the ground up like the wii'. The control method is more advanced than anything we've seen in a console to date, but because it isnt graphics its not important enough to a lot of people, and surprise surprise you're one of them.

I just want people to apply the same standards to all consoles and console companies... instead of double standards and hypocrisy :)

Permabanned
james.miller said:
like slating the wii for being too expensive but praising the ps3, for example?
When have I praised the PS3? :p The only thing I know about it that is good is it is quiet. Other than that, too early to judge.

Back
Top Bottom