Wii becomes UK's fastest-selling home console ever

Permabanned
Nickg said:
so .. let me get this right... your commending nintendo for in effect profiteering. they would have sold the same + maybe even more if they hadnt, so i dont really understand why that is a kudos at all?

Isn't the purpose of any commerical business to make a profit?
Profiteering as a heinous activity would apply to charging exorbitant money for essential items like guide dogs for the blind or false limbs for little orphan kids who trod on landmines.
But profiteering in a derrogatory way for making a luxury item and selling it at a profit? LOL.

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
So when Nintendo sell a machine for a fat profit they deserve Kudos but when Sony sell a console at a loss they deserve to be crucified... erm...

Not quite sure where that comes from. :confused:
Is the Wii making a "fat" profit? Considering that they could have sold far more and at a higher price if I owned Nintendo I'd be having sharp words with the people who are responsible for setting the price and those responsible for forecasting demand.
I would want to have seen a higher unit price and a lot more units shipped.

Permabanned
VIRII said:
Profiteering as a heinous activity would apply to charging exorbitant money for essential items like guide dogs for the blind or false limbs for little orphan kids who trod on landmines.
But profiteering in a derrogatory way for making a luxury item and selling it at a profit? LOL.
I agree with you, but why do people castigate Sony - surely they aren't applying the same principles to both companies.

Caporegime
Sony went out and then some trying to make the PS3 an all conquering all sing and dancing multi media machine. In it trying to drag in a bigger audience, an audience that previously wouldn't necessaily play games but have the means to buy other gadgets and media machines for the house. They even style the machine like it too, it doesn't look like a regular console, it looks like nothing else.

The problem comes I think is in about a year's time, HD DVD player or Blueray will become a much cheaper media to produce, and the price for an independent player will come down.

You don't have to look far, just the PS2, it has a DVD player, I remember when people were going on about how it has a DVD player and how it saves them money instead of buying a stand alone machine. The concept worked for about 6 months, it wasn't long before Toshiba, Panasonic (not just budget brands) had decent DVD players out at the £100 mark. And playing DVDs on the playstation was cumbersome, with no LCD on the player it was hard to see on the fly what chapter or time you are into the movie, and it cost more to get that remote as well.

So before long, the PS2 was just another regular console, any multimedia advantages were gone. The PS3 will head the same way i am sure, the fact that it is built in, it will be limited by a lot of ways such as regions. It is much easier to buy a dedicated HDDVD/DVD player that is multiregion than the chip a console (if that is even legal anymore). Add to that, while Blueray is still like a cloud somewhere, HDDD is here, you can get a Samsung HDDVD player for sub £100.

The majority of people who buy the PS3 will be gamers, anyone who want to get a HDDVD or Blueray player will get a HDDVD or Blueray player. I still play CDs through a CD player (allbeit a £500 CD player) and not my DVD player, even thou it could theorically save me some shelve space. Gamers might use the PS3 for more than 1 thing, and its multi media capability. The chances of dragging in the gardgets/treatre audience IMO is virtually nil, people who are into HiFi, Treatre set up by nature are purist. They like and want dedicated machines that does one thing and be best at it, they would spent £300 on an interconnecter but they wouldn't spent £400 on a PS3 because it's a games console. They would spent the same amount on another dedicated Sony Blueray or HDDVD player thou because they know they is no corners cut for other things.

Nintendo stuck to the basic idea, it made a games conole, nothing more. People buy consoles to play games, and that is what they got. By cutting all the multi media crap out, it saved them money, save in R&D time, and increase profits. They went for an different audience, in a way, a much more harder audience and then got some more by surpise no doubt, grannies player Wii? Who would've thought !

Soldato
VIRII said:

Well put, you have a nice way of coming across as the voice of reason. Sir, I commend you :cool:

Permabanned
VIRII said:
Not quite sure where that comes from. :confused:
Is the Wii making a "fat" profit? Considering that they could have sold far more and at a higher price
We don't know that, and you cannot infer that from ebay and other private sales :) Some people would have paid more, but not all. Indeed some here have said they have held off because the price is too high at £180.

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
If Sony sold a console for £180 which had performance around PS2 level and made a profit, I wonder what people here would say...
If it brought new and innovative gameplay, if it got my wife playing, if it was loads of fun?
I'd say wow well done sony.
You are also confusing "performance" with processing power.
In performance terms the console is performing very well at its desired function - ENTERTAINING PEOPLE.

Permabanned
VIRII said:
If it brought new and innovative gameplay, if it got my wife playing, if it was loads of fun?
I'd say wow well done sony.
You are also confusing "performance" with processing power.
In performance terms the console is performing very well at its desired function - ENTERTAINING PEOPLE.
I'm talking about people on this forum :)

Soldato
they dont and that's the problem. there are a lot of people here who will happy quote the "ps3 is cheaper when you add up all the extras for the 360" argument. I Think those people are loosing sight of why we used to buy games consoles. we buy them to play games on, thats what a very large majority of console owners do and when it comes down to it; the ps3 is far more expensive to game on. you can buy an xbox360 and game on it for <£180. to game on a ps3? >£400. Whether or not it includes a host of things most people wont need is irrelevant - its still more expensive for those who just want to game.

why do so many people, on these forums especially, fail to understand this? we are the minority, console gamers as a whole buy the console to play games on, not buy it to rip their cd's to, or turn it into a media center extension, or watch blue ray movies on. for the ps3, there is no cheaper option. you want to know why peopel are unhappy with the ps3? there's your real answer right there.

Last edited:
Soldato
dirtydog said:
Do you think people can't put false info on wikipedia, either innocently or maliciously? :confused: It's wikipedia's achilles heel.
Of course not, but Wikipedia isn't neccesarily this big, open, collective free-for-all everyone assumes it is either. If you've ever read the discussion pages on a serious topic in there, or looked behind the scenes, you'll that there's a hell of a lot of debate and verification on any contentious point, no matter how trivial. Sources are considered essential for a good page, and any topic without sources is usually marked as such. Anything vaguely opinionated is looked down upon. As well as people actually entering information on any page, there are just as many people who simply spend their time cleaning-up articles, or correcting mistakes, or sorting the grammar out, or many other seemingly meaningless tasks.

Of course Wikipedia may contain mistakes, but so may an actual Encyclopedia, or any other site on the internet, or any source in existence. Just because there are more people able to spread lies on Wikipedia as compared to anywhere else, doesn't mean there aren't more people willing to keep on top of those lies.
Raymond Lin said:
That's why I never quote it in passing or for anything, there is no fact checker, no editior. It could simply be a mistake and no one would be the wiser.
Not true at all. Every change to a page is logged, which is in turn checked by a moderator, and changed (if neccesary) accordingly. Constant attempts to maliciously change a subject will end up with that page being locked, so that no new changes can be made. Users and IPs can be banned for constant abuse. It doesn't happen immediately, so yes, mistakes can exist on any page, but to say there's no control over it all is simply false.

For example, try a page for any of the major footbal clubs on there. Those are usually a ripe target for rival fans to insert all sorts of nonsense and abuse in, and yet nearly all of them are factually correct, despite the sheer number of them. Try it yourself, change a page maliciously, and see how long it lasts. It might take a while, depending on the page, but it will almost certainly not stay there forever.

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
I agree with you, but why do people castigate Sony - surely they aren't applying the same principles to both companies.

Well I have yet to criticise Sony at all ever.
I rarely pay attention to people who do.
However I have first hand experience of the Wii and I consider it worth £180 especially compared to other alternatives.

I personally want more innovation and more competition in gaming and more products that my whole family and I can enjoy together.

Ideally I want a 360 that has the same controls and games as the Wii as well as what it already has. I think the wii controls incredibly far from being a gimmick.
When we play a racing game we like to have a steering wheel and pedals, I like flight controls for flying games. I buy these as extras to enhance the games I am playing.
Now when I play a Star Wars game I want a motion sensitive light sabre and it looks like one day I'll have one.
The motion controller is not necessarily a replacement for normal controls but it could certainly be a very significant improvement or enhancement for some.
You could play the dance game without a dance mat..... but would you want to and would there be a point in it.

Caporegime
Weebull said:
Not true at all. Every change to a page is logged, which is in turn checked by a moderator, and changed (if neccesary) accordingly. Constant attempts to maliciously change a subject will end up with that page being locked, so that no new changes can be made. Users and IPs can be banned for constant abuse. It doesn't happen immediately, so yes, mistakes can exist on any page, but to say there's no control over it all is simply false.

For example, try a page for any of the major footbal clubs on there. Those are usually a ripe target for rival fans to insert all sorts of nonsense and abuse in, and yet nearly all of them are factually correct, despite the sheer number of them. Try it yourself, change a page maliciously, and see how long it lasts. It might take a while, depending on the page, but it will almost certainly not stay there forever.

I am not saying putting in blatant lies, if some facts were slightly wrong, like the date, off by a day, or instead of 100,000, someone pu tin 10,000 accidentially. The moderator doesn't and can't' know every fact ever. It is little errors, althou could be small but significant, which is why i would never quote it.

Permabanned
Raymond Lin said:
NOW you are talking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait, OMG, an almost real lightsaber !

:) It is coming, it simply can't not happen. Mine will be the deluxe version with inbuilt speakers to make the humming, zinging and clashing noises.
It will power up in different colours depending on whether I am on the light or the dark side (it'll be red a lot then mehehehe).

Then in my other hand will be my "nunchuck" and with it I will exercise my force powers and strangle death star operators at 50 paces.

But it is just a gimmick ,.,.......

As fanbois post I will simply wave my motion sensitive nunchuck in a special way and with my deft flourish of my left hand my laptop will type "this is not the console that you are looking for"

Caporegime
VIRII said:
:) It is coming, it simply can't not happen. Mine will be the deluxe version with inbuilt speakers to make the humming, zinging and clashing noises.
It will power up in different colours depending on whether I am on the light or the dark side (it'll be red a lot then mehehehe).

Then in my other hand will be my "nunchuck" and with it I will exercise my force powers and strangle death star operators at 50 paces.

But it is just a gimmick ,.,.......

i forgot the nunchuck, and the speakers too....using the force to push enemies over.... :eek: :D with the noise...................this is so going to happen !

Permabanned
Raymond Lin said:
i forgot the nunchuck, and *** speakers too....using the force to push enemies over.... :eek: :D with the noise...................this is so going to happen !

Contain yourself young padawan you do not want your sofa to get sticky.

( for this game you'll need a black Wii with a red glow dum dum dum dum de dum dum de dum duuuuuuuum duuuuuum duuum dum de dum dum de dum ........)

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
I am not saying putting in blatant lies, if some facts were slightly wrong, like the date, off by a day, or instead of 100,000, someone pu tin 10,000 accidentially. The moderator doesn't and can't' know every fact ever. It is little errors, althou could be small but significant, which is why i would never quote it.
But like I said, every change is logged, and every fact listed requires a source, or is labelled as such. I'm not saying Wikipedia is perfect, but to me, it's no different posting a list of console games sales from there as it is from, say, IGN. Both can make mistakes, but both are as likely to be true, it's just that one has far more contributors than the other.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say that I'd trust Wikipedia over a gaming site like Joystiq, which doesn't moderate or control it's output in anysignificant way, and has a number of contributors who often fail to check their sources or the factual basis of their posts.

Soldato
thor said:
Exactly my thoughts - if Sony can get more PS3's to market at launch than there were Wii's, then it will become the fastest selling console.

Doubt it, Wii is selling on the merits that its a family and friends console, not everyone cares about graphics.

Back
Top Bottom