Wii becomes UK's fastest-selling home console ever

Permabanned
Kreeeee said:
I have no idea how you describe yourself as objective... In all of your posts you're clearly biased towards sony.
In your opinion, which on this occasion is mistaken. Please provide proof of my Sony biased posts... I won't hold my breath :)

Soldato
Chances of getting one on weekend? Well friday when i finish work early :D I really shouldnt but im so tempted i wanna play a bit of zelda and Wii sports :cool:

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
In your opinion, which on this occasion is mistaken. Please provide proof of my Sony biased posts... I won't hold my breath :)

dirtydog said:
I love Sony, I sleep cuddling my PS2 every night, sometimes I stick my tongue in its DVD slot, sometimes I like to polish my PS2 whilst I am naked.

I have more if you want.....

Caporegime
VIRII said:
Isn't the purpose of any commerical business to make a profit?
Profiteering as a heinous activity would apply to charging exorbitant money for essential items like guide dogs for the blind or false limbs for little orphan kids who trod on landmines.
But profiteering in a derrogatory way for making a luxury item and selling it at a profit? LOL.

yes the purpose of a business is to make a profit. the way it does this is by satisfying market demands etc. now my point is that the market would have been better served in this instance by upping the power of the console selling @ that price point.

sure they could have included 720p resolutions etc, to extend the lifecycle of the product - and drawn zero margin for the first 6 months of the potentially extended lifespan of the console. - allowing them to sell more units. keep the customer happy in the medium/long term. whilst still earning profits from software licensing for their devices.

i cant think of any negative byproducts of them including support for min HDTV res, can you?

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Nickg said:
i cant think of any negative byproducts of them including support for min HDTV res, can you?

that's because, as far as i'm aware, you're just a person deliberating over this on a forum, and haven't actually had a look-in on their business plan from the start.

been sitting [standing] playing mine since 11am, on COMPOSITE and i've never lost so much time to computer games. improved graphics aren't going to extend the product life cycle, as all TVs produced now, and for the life of the 360 and PS3 are still going to support SD.

have they switched off Analogue TV yet?

if you're preoccupied with graphics now, you always will be...but as VIRII said (in a round about way), this console is getting many different types of people into gaming, which can only be a good thing (for us and the industry).

personally, i dream of a day when a generation of consoles is released, and petty nobodies on internet forums discuss their enjoyment of them, rather than bicker about specs and which one will inevitably do better, in whatever irrelevant aspect they think about before sitting at their computer.

i love my 360, my Wii and my DS - and i bet the PS3 will be great too. OMG, someone said it!

Permabanned
Nickg said:
yes the purpose of a business is to make a profit. the way it does this is by satisfying market demands etc. now my point is that the market would have been better served in this instance by upping the power of the console selling @ that price point.

sure they could have included 720p resolutions etc, to extend the lifecycle of the product - and drawn zero margin for the first 6 months of the potentially extended lifespan of the console. - allowing them to sell more units. keep the customer happy in the medium/long term. whilst still earning profits from software licensing for their devices.

I wonder if their target market have a high percentage of HDTV's.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Sic said:
bicker about specs

Agreed, the whole 'it's just a gamecube' thing is getting really tiresome now, lost count of how many times that's been thrown around on various forums.

The fact is 99.9% of people aren't sad enough to base opinions on tech sheets (which let's face it they don't really understand anyway) and so it's all going to mean nothing anyway.

Too often graphics come at the expense of gameplay, just look how much Gran Turismo sucked on 3 & 4 compared to the first two which were fantastic but ugly.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
So when Nintendo sell a machine for a fat profit they deserve Kudos but when Sony sell a console at a loss they deserve to be crucified... erm...

Pretty much, I'd give more praise to a company capable of manufacturing a relatively inexpensive product and making a profit than one that throws vast amounts of money at their product then has to sell it at a loss. Which is the better business?

Permabanned
Sweetloaf said:
Pretty much, I'd give more praise to a company capable of manufacturing a relatively inexpensive product and making a profit than one that throws vast amounts of money at their product then has to sell it at a loss. Which is the better business?
We're not talking about which is the better business.

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
We're not talking about which is the better business.

True we are talking about two games consoles.
Both connect to the wireless network and have wireless controllers.

One costs £279 + £60 = £339
The other costs just £179

One has fantastic graphics and is a very powerful machine and appeals to "hardcore" gamers but has a fairly limited and narrow appeal to the general populace.

The other has adequate graphics but an innovative controller system and a range of basic games that utilise the controller very well and appeals to a much broader range of people, many of whom were never interested in gaming before.

It is a bit like comparing a porsche boxter and an MPV.
Both appeal to different markets and are in different price brackets.

Hopefully one of them will soon add the capabilities of the other.

Caporegime
VIRII said:
I wonder if their target market have a high percentage of HDTV's.

yes, you can wonder. but still not seen any good arguments for as to why it shouldnt about it being able to support 720p.

if you bear in mind that the console has a typical lifespan of x number of years, even if the current target market dont have hdtv's atm, it doesnt mean that they wont do in 2 years from now.

nor does it mean that because some of the target market dont have HDTV that the rest of their customer should be effectively overlooked. Afterall - u can support all those with and without by including HD output, but you cant support the two in the same way by not including that functionality.

Soldato
Goatboy said:
Agreed, the whole 'it's just a gamecube' thing is getting really tiresome now, lost count of how many times that's been thrown around on various forums.

The fact is 99.9% of people aren't sad enough to base opinions on tech sheets (which let's face it they don't really understand anyway) and so it's all going to mean nothing anyway.

Too often graphics come at the expense of gameplay, just look how much Gran Turismo sucked on 3 & 4 compared to the first two which were fantastic but ugly.

I have to say (and I have been saying it since release to people I know, about why I wouldn't buy one yet), even though it is pretty much an overclocked GameCube underneath, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. The GC was a very good console. I just can't warrant the extra £140(ish) of a Wii over a GC just for the new concept of gaming (and also so far there is one game that I'm interested in that is exclusive to the Wii).

But then, it's not aimed towards my needs as the Wii is geared towards multiplay (in the same room) and most of the gaming I do is online or on my own.

Back
Top Bottom