• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wild CPU usage

Associate
To start off I have solved the problem, it took long enough doing screenshots thought I’d still post anyway as I still have some questions........

so I’ve been playing about with my new laptop and I noticed every time I launch a game my fans go wild and it takes about 3-4 mins for the game to start. So checked task manager and it seems my CPU usage it at 100% all the time

SNuCkON.png

Vl7s7b7.png

cIybihP.png

Once the game loads I can play I no problem at all. It I checked after 10 mins and still at 100% surely can’t be right?

I closed the game and then right clicked on the battery and moved from high performance to balanced and it dropped to 3% usage. That’s a fair drop isn’t it? Is that right?

I never had time to test if the load up times were better on balanced mode but they should be right? As less cpu usage?
Never even noticed it was on high performance mode.

Do I have to much proceses running? Don’t have a lot going on/installed. Games,PS,office. And pretty much everything is disabled in startup on msconfig.

Also Can someone help with my cooling?

I have it set to advanced so the hotter it gets the faster the fans go but can someone tell me what the differences between my 2 settings are? They are default.
CPU is set at 40% is that before the fans kick in? And the gpu at 0% is that ok?

zFVP7wG.png

EeBzeXz.png

Just noticed there’s more questions than I thought but any help would be grateful

Associate
Is this plugged into the mains or just off battery? what is the power requirements of the laptop and does the psu match it?

I have a dell latitude here that ran slow as buggery, turns out that it wont use the usb C dock module i got for it as a power source when its plugged into it.. even though the dock has a 65W psu. The laptop needs its own 95 w unit connected as well (makes sense as its a big spec)
When it ran without the correct psu it used the battery to augment its power.
Point is .. er i was getting to that, that power supplies have a lot to do with performance.

Anyway, er... can you also get a shot of the cpu temps, use cupz or something... could be a badly seated heatsink or something.
This will also log the speed the processor ramps which will be interesting as it might be throttling.

Associate
OP
This is plugged in, I don’t get access to some of the power setups in dragon centre when it is un plugged. Must exceed the battery’s limits.
Here is a picture of my battery.

1zEufGG.jpg.png

It’s the battery that came with it so I’m assuming that it’s the correct one.

It’s big enough anyways nearly as heavy as the laptop I was shocked! I’ll get more pictures up of CPUz later on in the day once it’s fired up.

Associate
OP
Superfetch doesn’t seem to be in the list?
I’ve just put my laptop on and checked task manager -100%
Went to task manager, must be defaulted to start on high performance. I clicked it to balanced and CPU is back between 2-12%
Is there a way to make balanced default?

Associate
Er changing power profiles shouldnt not cause the pc to change its cpu usage.
What was using the 100% - task manager should show this.

Also its one of those gash gaming laptops isnt it, i hate these things.. high powered desktop components turned down and stuffed into a small form factor producing loads of heat and gobbling battery in minutes.

Associate
OP
Soons I change to high performance it jumps straight to 100% with WMI provider host taking up 50% of the 100% back in to balanced = back down to 2-3% seems wen changing to sport mode in dragon centre put windows into high performance mode and back up to 100%

Yeh well it’s an MSI if you haven’t already guessed:p

Associate
OP
Could task manager be wrong? I’ve just noticed on one says 2% and task manage 100%
Also if you notice the usage changes to other things quite a lot

Q3zv8Bq.jpg.png

Associate
It's not in the services tab of the Process Manager, but in Windows Services. Load up services by entering a Command Window and type in services.msc and have a look if Superfetch has been enabled. If so, disable it (and prevent it from starting up automatically by disabling it) and then see if there's any improvement.

Associate
OP
Ok I have stopped the service, I have task manager, dragon centre and power options open

If I put dragon centre into game mode it flicks to high power in power options and goes to 100% cpu usage. If I go to balanced back down to 1%

Now I’m getting system lock ups so enabled the service again and restarted seems fine. Was takin forever to open stuff and it was half opening and not responding?

Maybe just have to live with the balanced feature I don’t want to run the cpu on full all the time

Associate
It shouldnt be doing this, your not getting the most out of your .. what i presume is a very expensive laptop.
Any windows updates needing done?
What virus checker is it using...

Associate
OP
I’m offshore at the moment so I can’t do a windows update check but will be the first thing I do when I get home, I’m using bullguard I got a free year with the laptop.
I have noticed if I put it into game mode in dragon centre then go to power options and stick it to balanced manually it drops and stays at gaming mode so I will see how it goes tomorrow I’ll try a few games and leave it going for a bit. Never seems to get hot or stutter in games or anything so that’s a good sign but longest I’ve had a game in for is about an hour! Hasn’t been ran in proper yet:p

Soldato
You've not got that killer lan installed have you or using is it usb boost and another boost option in the dragon centre? I heard they can increase CPU usage. Is your dragon centre different? I have "Turbo Mode" can't remember a game mode, I'm at work at the moment so haven't got my laptop in front of me.

Associate
OP
I have got the killer lan installed it came pre installed haven even opened it though, will it run in the background? Usb boost and storage boost also both off

Associate
OP
I’m not 100% that it is, when I right click the battery and go to power options and move it from balanced to performance it goes straight to 100%.
Also not that I use it but it can’t be turned off but dragon centre controls th lights on the keyboard

Associate
OP
I’ll uninstall it all when I get home and see if that helps. Internet where I am is nearly non existent so just incase I have re install something I’ll wait. Can get rid of most I’ll just leave on dragon centre for now.
If I delete it will it mean my keyboard will stay the same colours all the time? Trying to find a colour just now that doesn’t get annoying after a while.
Also I’m playing my games offline does killer lan still run in the background?

@willhub if you have dragon centre, power options and task manager open and put dragon centre to sport does power options move to high performance instead of balanced and then cpu goes straight to 100% that’s what I’m getting.
So I guess deleting dragon centre wouldn’t help much as if I move it from high power to balanced in the power options screen it drops and back to high power it goes straight back up (not in dragon centre)

I’ll maybe try uninstalling things one by one tomorrow see how it goes testing in between

Associate
OP
Also one Must be reading wrong as in my last picture you’ll see dragon centre says cpu usage is 2% and task manager says 100% but it can’t be hot as the fans would ramp up

Back
Top Bottom